Questions about 'Goid Hunting

I have done some research (reading forums, wiki articles, watching videos, etc.) as well as some 'field' research. To date, I have engaged 10-15 interceptors and only ever taken out one petal (not even sure how I did that one, it just kind of happened). I have tried a variety of loadouts, ships, and methods and nothing seems to work. In regards to this, I have a few questions. Note that I am usually playing solo and I do not intend to take the time to have FA off all the time, though I do use FA off briefly when pulling the reversky.

1. Is there a good way to deal with Thargon Swarms besides remote release flak launchers? I can't hit squat with mine. I'm looking for any option here, from pack hound missiles, to mines, to giving them a taste of their own medicine and flying through them at high speed. Or do I even need to take out the Swarm?

2. How helpful is a fighter? Should I carry a fighter bay or use that space for something else? Or as a probably ridiculous idea, how much of chance does the fighter have without the mothership getting involved? (currently I only have the Trident but I could get others.)

3. Of all the Human AX and Guardian Hybrid weapons, which are most effective against Interceptors and Scouts respectively?

4. What are a FEW methods for combat? Cold-orbit seems to be a popular one, but I'm looking for other options.

5. Aside from bragging rights, what does one actually gain from killing 'goids? Are the bounties/recovered materials valuable enough to make it worth while, or is it mostly just for fun?

NEW ADDITION
6. What is the best way to find wing mates? I usually hunt in Asterope if that matters.

Last edited:
I have done some research (reading forums, wiki articles, watching videos, etc.) as well as some 'field' research. To date, I have engaged 10-15 interceptors and only ever taken out one petal (not even sure how I did that one, it just kind of happened). I have tried a variety of loadouts, ships, and methods and nothing seems to work. In regards to this, I have a few questions. Note that I am usually playing solo and I do not intend to take the time to have FA off all the time, though I do use FA off briefly when pulling the reversky.

1. Is there a good way to deal with Thargon Swarms besides remote release flak launchers? I can't hit squat with mine. I'm looking for any option here, from pack hound missiles, to mines, to giving them a taste of their own medicine and flying through them at high speed. Or do I even need to take out the Swarm?

2. How helpful is a fighter? Should I carry a fighter bay or use that space for something else? Or as a probably ridiculous idea, how much of chance does the fighter have without the mothership getting involved? (currently I only have the Trident but I could get others.)

3. Of all the Human AX and Guardian Hybrid weapons, which are most effective against Interceptors and Scouts respectively?

4. What are a FEW methods for combat? Cold-orbit seems to be a popular one, but I'm looking for other options.

5. Aside from bragging rights, what does one actually gain from killing 'goids? Are the bounties/recovered materials valuable enough to make it worth while, or is it mostly just for fun?

I fight fa on, and tank damage.

I have the following phantom for it..

It's fun to fly, and can do the basic big guys solo with just over 60% hull remaining usually.

It's not meta, and just used the skills I have developed myself.

I use evasive flying for the swarm, just avoiding it as much as possible between hearts with the boost speed, and ignoring it when taking on the hearts .

It also works well on the scouts, the guardian plasma is a very good snipe weapon on those...

1a) tank the damage, which will not work for higher tier interceptors
1b) avoid the damage using cold builds and lots of heat sinks, which again might not work for higher tier interceptors
1c) git good with Flaks. It's really not that hard.

2) not really, the swarm kills it asap - or so i heard, never used a slf against thargs.

3) Gauss cannons for interceptors, anything against scouts (although AX MC turrets are pretty nice, especially the top ones that can be seen from the Anaconda Bridge :D)

4a) Cold orbit is the most popular.
4b) pathetic attempts at orbiting may work as well, assuming you can actually aim and hit the hearts with them gauses
4c) Conda with 4 large shard cannons will do wonders against a Cyclops. Not so much against a Basilisk, and nothing at all against Medusa and Hydra

5a) Bragging rights, record breaking attempts (fastest kills, non premium ammo kills, weird ship kills - as in sidewinder vs hydra)
5b) Credits lately. The bonds were upped 4x last november, so now Thargoid combat can produce decent amount of credits compared with that it used to give.

1. No, not really. You also definitely DO NOT want to fly through them. (The cyclops variant has the easiest Thargons to deal with. As you go up in difficulty, the Thargons will likewise increase in difficulty with different flight patterns and strategies. Really neat encounter design, imo.)
The basic way to deal with them is just to boost away from them, and then flip around and start the Flak. FA-ON is probably fine for this. You won't be able to fly top speed backwards, but that should only change engagement time.
Also, at greater distance, they won't maneuver as much. In general, you want to aim for the midpoint of where the swarm is and where the indicator tells you to aim. This is because they do a lot of back and forth flying and the indicator isn't absolute (even fighting regular ships, but that's a different topic).

2. Helpful, but situational. They do a good amount of damage to the actual Thargoid. They can lower shields faster and help expose hearts. At the end phase, I've had several cyclops die to my fighter alone. They are not good against Thargons. Thargons tend to go after them, which makes the Thargons much more difficult to hit. On the other hand, if you're just looking to run interference with Thargon AI, they can be okay with that. Much better to actually use the fighter commands so they don't suicide into the Swarm. (Also a good general tip for fighters).

3. Gauss. Use Gauss against Thargoids, and use Scouts as target practice for using Gauss. :p

4. You can tank the early Thargoids if you want. Hull Tanking is recommended. You'll still want heat sinks to go cold and use repair limpets if you get in trouble.

5. Mostly just for fun, imo. Payouts aren't bad, though. Especially if you get good at killing higher ranked Thargoids.

Use a big ship and tank the damage then shred it with Shard Cannons. This is called Gibbing and is considered a "chessy" way to kill one.

You'll never be able to kill anything more than a Cyclops without FA off. Just so your aware. When you come to this realization begin your FA off training by finding an orbis starport and doing 10 minutes of tether training or three rotations per day as demonstrated in this video. Your FA off skills will explode in a very short amount of time and you will be more confident and possibly even enjoy doing it.

Source: https://youtu.be/U6zIXu52RnA

I have a Thargoid Scout hunting question.

I was considering a zoom and boom build with shard cannons. How effective are the shard cannons with the Scouts?

I do fine with the turreted AX multis or even the guardian gauss (takes me a while to consistently line up the shots of course), but thought the burst dps witht the shards might be better for clearing Scouts.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom