Poll: What is your preferred time speed?

Side Question:

How long is a year in the zoo tycoon games?
I’ve searched everywhere actually, but I found nothing as I wanted to add a “zoo tycoon speed” option to the poll. I searched some gameplay videos and timed it, and it seems that 10 minutes are a month. I don’t remember it being that long though. I may be wrong, another user said it was 3 hour years

Perhaps a slower speed but more powerful fast forward options would help, but I don’t know if thats possible as I guess it would take more processing power.
Definitely add to the processing. There was so much left out of the beta, that I dont think we have enough information to be completely judgmental of the topic. Who knows, after all the other stuff comes into play, the time may be WAY too fast. But, then again, it may seem like turtle speed. We just dont have enough to go on from the beta, I dont think.

a year was about 3hrs
If an elephant gives birth every 5 years (I'm unsure of the in-game speed, so I used the real life number) and fast speed is 10x normal (it probably isn't that fast, but I'm giving you a conservative estimate) it would be 1.5 hours of real-time gameplay on maximum speed between the most frequent possible elephant births. If the max game speed is not this rapid, it gets worse.

Changing the base rate of birth and death affects all game speeds, unless you want to grow attached to your animals in slow motion, or dial up the grind for everyone who is breeding animals.

Just popped into my head, do you think it would be worth having a secondary poll that allows multiple choices, as in "Select all the speeds from this list that you would find acceptable"? I think it could give some extra insight into where the middle ground is.

The current poll shows what our ideal speeds are, which is great and helpful as is, but I bet the range of speeds that people would at least be okay with is a lot less polarized than some are assuming.

Last edited:
I don't understand some of the speed issues. I thought it was fast at first but I quickly adjusted. I never really got a huge zoo in the beta so maybe I'm missing something....

But in my experience, I had Indian Peafowls that reach breeding age around 3 years. For me, playing the game for 3 hours before ever being able to even breed a Peafowl seems like a really long time and I could see this being a problem for other animals that take even longer to grow up.

I don't understand some of the speed issues. I thought it was fast at first but I quickly adjusted. I never really got a huge zoo in the beta so maybe I'm missing something....

But in my experience, I had Indian Peafowls that reach breeding age around 3 years. For me, playing the game for 3 hours before ever being able to even breed a Peafowl seems like a really long time and I could see this being a problem for other animals that take even longer to grow up.
Do you want your titan beetle to die every 18 minutes with the current game speed?

Do you want your titan beetle to die every 18 minutes with the current game speed?
I am. 18 minutes is plenty of time. I'd be ok if I had to hit pause and buy a new one every 10 minutes.

Better yet, once I have the zoo running strong with habitat animals I'd forget about or even do away with the exhibit animals (mostly insects) altogether.

I am. 18 minutes is plenty of time. I'd be ok if I had to hit pause and buy a new one every 10 minutes.

Better yet, once I have the zoo running strong with habitat animals I'd forget about or even do away with the exhibit animals (mostly insects) altogether.
That is an extremely specific play style that is pretty contradictory to what Frontier themselves have advertised for the game. That's not a bad thing, but they say they want us to bond with our animals. So a lot of us want slower options.

There's gotta be a way to achieve some type of balance with it all. If the game speed is slowed, other things would need to be adjusted. In my game, my exhibit animals bred very quickly so it didn't matter much to me if they were also dying fast because my exhibits were always full.

I also don't get the chance to play the game for hours on end so I was thinking it would take me weeks to get anywhere in franchise mode on the suggested 1 hour = 1 year.

Some people also mention the speed as the issue with barrier and utilities breakdown - solution could be to slow those down while leaving passage of time for other things the same?

Also, since franchise mode is so dependant on conservation credits you HAVE to be able to make babies and release them to have a sucessful zoo. So
maybe slowing time in sandbox mode so you can spend a literal week waiting for a special baby would make sense.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone as I've seen several of these posts turn to - I'm just adding my opinion to the conversation.

That is an extremely specific play style that is pretty contradictory to what Frontier themselves have advertised for the game. That's not a bad thing, but they say they want us to bond with our animals. So a lot of us want slower options.
Agreed. I also can't imagine spending 2+ hrs building a habitat and having to stop every 20min just to buy new animals. Being forced to pause the game anytime you want to expand in fear of your animals dying is no way to play the game. Should comfortably be able to build while the game is running without fear your zoo is going to fall into ruin.

That's all great and good if the slower speed that you seek is a fourth or even a fifth speed option as opposed to replacing any speed that was available in the beta. Many people have lives outside of these games and, therefore, don't have the available time to play the game for 3 hours waiting to breed an animal. So a default slower speed isn't a solution that works for everyone. But to give multiple options is closer to a solution. I'm not sure if the dev's want to look into that possibility or not but in the event they do they need to know that making the slow speed setting too slow is not a good thing. Nor is removing the medium or fast speed options good.

That's all great and good if the slower speed that you seek is a fourth or even a fifth speed option as opposed to replacing any speed that was available in the beta. Many people have lives outside of these games and, therefore, don't have the available time to play the game for 3 hours waiting to breed an animal. So a default slower speed isn't a solution that works for everyone. But to give multiple options is closer to a solution. I'm not sure if the dev's want to look into that possibility or not but in the event they do they need to know that making the slow speed setting too slow is not a good thing. Nor is removing the medium or fast speed options good.
Well are we in any rush to build a zoo? I at best also have 2 hours a day at the most, on the days that I could play.
And the fast forward options are there for a reason.

Well are we in any rush to build a zoo? I at best also have 2 hours a day at the most, on the days that I could play.
And the fast forward options are there for a reason.
My primary issue is, if they increase the time say 1 year is 1 hour then a tiger takes 3 hours to be breedable, if your tiger gives birth and has 2 cubs, it will take half an hour for your tiger to give birth then you need to wait till your babies are 3 years old, so each baby needs to be in your zoo for 3 hours before you can sell them, if you want to make profit,you could fast forward time, but if you want to build while doing this, you wont be able to while fast forwarding time because it would require a lot of managing other things, if your skipping time so fast through fast forwarding, its kinda awkward to need to fast forward time everytime your animals give birth just to make profit.

My primary issue is, if they increase the time say 1 year is 1 hour then a tiger takes 3 hours to be breedable, if your tiger gives birth and has 2 cubs, it will take half an hour for your tiger to give birth then you need to wait till your babies are 3 years old, so each baby needs to be in your zoo for 3 hours before you can sell them, if you want to make profit,you could fast forward time, but if you want to build while doing this, you wont be able to while fast forwarding time because it would require a lot of managing other things, if your skipping time so fast through fast forwarding, its kinda awkward to need to fast forward time everytime your animals give birth just to make profit.

So instead of playing zoo management, you are running farms just to sell them off for the sake of conservation credits? Greed at its best XD

The issue here is people are viewing this as a breeding game. Must breed, must make a profit!

... Why? This is a zoo simulation, not a breeding simulation. Man, I miss the good old ZT days when you actually cared about animals in your zoo and wanted babies because they were cute and continued your family line, not because you could make a cheap, easy buck off selling them.

The goal of a zoo irl isn't to breed animals to make money off the offspring. So if that's how you want to play the game that's fine, but that wasn't the point of the game. Frontier's made that very clear what their intentions of the game are: to bond with animals.

So instead of playing zoo management, we are running farms just to sell them off for the sake of conservation credits. Greed at its best XD
I think the problem with that is the way franchise mode is set up. It feels like you have to have babies to release to get credits to get more animals or you'll be stuck with Peafowls and Warthogs forever. How else do you earn enough for the more expensive animals?

Top Bottom