Planetary Tech with Dr Kay Ross: Recap

Well if you want to get technical the answer that was provided to the question, didn't actually answer the question exactly because the part that says 'who purchase the expansion' has no relation to the question. So you can choose to assume that that part was a poorly worded mistake, or you could choose to assume that they decided to answer the question to an extra level of depth (which is obviously something they do all the time...)

So as you already know I`m sure, Fontier will always chose to provide the information they wish to share, rather than by being sctrictly bound by the specific wording of the question. Thats pretty normal in customer facing comms.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
So as you already know I`m sure, Fontier will always chose to provide the information they wish to share, rather than by being sctrictly bound by the specific wording of the question. Thats pretty normal in customer facing comms.
I know that miscommunication is not uncommon, and then clarifications are made on a regular basis.

It's a shame most of these turned out to be lies.

The new planetary tech in Odssey is absolutely awful.

The framerate is poor, and not in a way that justifies the extra work, to match the framerate I have in Horizons I end up reducing the quality so much it's not a better experience.

But once the framerate issue has improved & I can return to actually playing at 4k/ultra rather than just looking at it, I think overall the places where the new terrain looks bad it still looks better than that same location in Horizons, and where it looks good (solidified lava flows, deserts) imo it looks fantastic. The rock & debris is manageable, the terrain is pretty clearly optimised for walking rather than SRV driving in lots of rougher areas but it is still navigable in most circumstances & where it isn't it's pretty obvious.

I like it, framerate aside it's been an improvement over Horizons everywhere I've visited so far, which is way more than I can say for the new Odyssey user interfaces.

I don't see what Ctrl + F is for, and the link that you give allows me to access Dr. Kay Ross's profile. Her last post on the forums is March 4.

I don't see where she spent 2 hours yesterday on the forums. You may have dreamed it ? 🤔

Kay Ross.jpg

😷

Last edited:
CTRL +F shows your FPS in the bottom left of the screen

Ctrl-F is search on the forum :)

Patrick, I think alexzk is talking about the list of staff currently online on the forum homepage :)

Yesterday there were several Frontier staffers browsing the ED forums, presumably alexzk spotted Dr Kay on that list. If they didn't post a message or 'like' any posts they wouldn't show as having any activity on their profile.

We can only assume they are actually visiting because they were trying to get some feel for how the launch has gone with the issue tracker being so useless for so long, twitter being full of memes and Reddit unreadable because of all the Asps parked in front of things.

Maybe this time it really will be different? Probably not but David Braben has about a week left to the financial year end to be able to describe Odyssey as a 'successful' launch and have shareholders stand some chance of believing the statement.

Maybe this time it really will be different? Probably not but David Braben has about a week left to the financial year end to be able to describe Odyssey as a 'successful' launch and have shareholders stand some chance of believing the statement.
My guess is that orders to date have it covered.

the old surfaces can't be represented in this new approach and you're going to get a larger variety using this new tech.

So that was a lie. Imagine telling someone to their face that they will get more variety out of tile randomizer than from procedural generation.

I like it, framerate aside it's been an improvement over Horizons everywhere I've visited so far

Things like that are a matter of personal preference, sure - but I think we're playing a different game. Flat, stretched boring surfaces with nothing on them and covered in a texture that looks like the game made a trip to 2004, with much less variety. No one buys that they are better than they were. Bases are better as well with terrain flattening? Come on...

Top Bottom