Planetary Tech with Dr Kay Ross: Recap

We'll find out later this year if you're right ;)

Financially Frontier is pretty safe, I'm sure it will be fine :) But it's not my risk, I can afford to be complacent about it.
From a glass half full perspective - Braben only owns a third of the company, so if they really did persistently screw things up to the point where the share price is pushed down, then they would be at risk of being taken over.

That's a good motivator to improve.

From a glass half full perspective - Braben only owns a third of the company, so if they really did persistently screw things up to the point where the share price is pushed down, then they would be at risk of being taken over.

That's a good motivator to improve.

You seem to think I care, or that this is somehow on-topic & an important point to defend.

To be clear, I think the Devs are highly motivated to get Odyssey working as well as possible within this next week, because it'll make the financial year end look better.

I'm not saying anything about how good or bad it currently is perceived (although David Braben's recent post speaks volumes), only that there will be some significant motivation for it to be better than it is right now by the 31st.

Your position seems to be in opposition, you think it won't be urgently prioritised and that everything is fine I suppose?

I'm not here to argue that you're wrong :)

Last edited:
You seem to think I care, or that this is somehow on-topic & an important point to defend.

To be clear, I think the Devs are highly motivated to get Odyssey working as well as possible within this next week, because it'll make the financial year end look better.

I'm not saying anything about how good or bad it currently is perceived (although David Braben's recent post speaks volumes), only that there will be some significant motivation for it to be better than it is right now by the 31st.

Your position seems to be in opposition, you think it won't be urgently prioritised and that everything is fine I suppose?

I'm not here to argue that you're wrong :)
I`m not defending anything, this was a terrible release and I expect it will take multiple months to sort out. I simply think it's more useful to talk about what's happening here and the reasons for it.

It does make me wonder about how comfortable people at the sharp end of development like Dr Ross were with appearing on these live streams to present what they clearly knew was unfinished work as "job done".

Perhaps people will learn not to pre-order. Nah - who am I kidding....

I`m not defending anything, this was a terrible release and I expect it will take multiple months to sort out. I simply think it's more useful to talk about what's happening here and the reasons for it.

It does make me wonder about how comfortable people at the sharp end of development like Dr Ross were with appearing on these live streams to present what they clearly knew was unfinished work as "job done".

Perhaps people will learn not to pre-order. Nah - who am I kidding....

yeah it's the customer's fault really, isn't it?
(hint, no it isn't).

The product is actually pretty good (albeit the meat is not anything I'm interested in, who wants to hold a hand gun in a game that has armed spaceships?), but clearly was rushed out the door and whoever the blame for that lies with, the responsibility and risk lies with the company, not the individuals that are employed there or their customers.

None of this has anything to do with this topic, and the only reason we are discussing this here is because you took umbrage to my explanation to another poster about why Frontier staff are currently spending quite a lot more time than usual browsing this forum.

(Because FDev's financial year end is about a week away).

Something on the topic, despite glitches and so on.
Thanks for this!!!

2021-05-24 13_06_49-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-24 12_49_54-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-24 17_21_02-Greenshot.jpg
2021-05-24 14_34_50-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-24 10_49_36-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-25 09_48_41-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-25 10_18_36-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-25 11_14_45-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-23 23_19_21-Greenshot.jpg

2021-05-25 10_14_14-Greenshot.jpg

1621937664077.png

This is amazing. From the footprints in the dust (in the bottom left), to the wonderful texture of the ground, and how the rock actually looks like a rock!

1621937763608.png

1621937846150.png

This is not so good. Yes, it's not at 'the golden hour', but given this is a 'flagship location' (Farseer Base), and has been 'handcrafted', I'm sure there are some improvements to be made to the planet tech.

View attachment 231115
This is amazing. From the footprints in the dust (in the bottom left), to the wonderful texture of the ground, and how the rock actually looks like a rock!

View attachment 231118
View attachment 231119

This is not so good. Yes, it's not at 'the golden hour', but given this is a 'flagship location' (Farseer Base), and has been 'handcrafted', I'm sure there are some improvements to be made to the planet tech.
There's a lot of room for improvement I think.
But looking at what kinds of worlds it produces is kinda mindboggling already. I've been landing on planets all day yesterday, and especially the ice worlds come with so much variety... Tackling the non-icy ones today and already saw a lot of beautiful things.
And this is all created procedurally for billions of worlds. Handling that algorithm can't be easy.
All those who worked on this have my deepest admiration.

Ctrl-F is search on the forum :)

Patrick, I think alexzk is talking about the list of staff currently online on the forum homepage :)

Yesterday there were several Frontier staffers browsing the ED forums, presumably alexzk spotted Dr Kay on that list. If they didn't post a message or 'like' any posts they wouldn't show as having any activity on their profile.

We can only assume they are actually visiting because they were trying to get some feel for how the launch has gone with the issue tracker being so useless for so long, twitter being full of memes and Reddit unreadable because of all the Asps parked in front of things.

Maybe this time it really will be different? Probably not but David Braben has about a week left to the financial year end to be able to describe Odyssey as a 'successful' launch and have shareholders stand some chance of believing the statement.
I understood.

In fact Dr Ross was present on the forums without directly intervening.

Confirmation in her profil. :)

Kay Ross.jpg

😷

Top Bottom