Pirates have tracking beacon on my ship or what?

In an Ice ring hunting Low Temp Diamonds
Log out for sleep
Log back in PIRATE!

Get away... drop in elsewhere in ring PIRATE!

Get away... Log out

At least I don't have to worry about getting interdicted with cargo anymore since apparently the pirates know where I am at all times.

Thanks for the Great Feature guys

Log out for sleep
Log back in PIRATE!

Get away... Log out

At least I don't have to worry about getting interdicted with cargo anymore since apparently the pirates know where I am at all times.

*Drops into the thread*

"So the rumors were true..."

No but seriously yeah its pretty annoying that they just spawn around you in some cases. Had a bunch or pirates interdicting me out in the middle of nowhere cause I had 50 Bromellite I just finished mining and I realized I had to get a permit before I could turn it in, sooo I went exploring.

When you load an instance (drop from supercriise or log back in) in a ring, the game will usually spawn several pirates. The best way around it is to arrive empty handed and stay in the ring in one sessions until you’re full and then leave.

If you can, boost away and hope you get away. Failing that, relog and boost immediately away. Its how ive been mining recently.

If you drop into a random part of the ring, yes pirates will spawn, but if you are empty, they’ll leave.
Alternately you can boost away until they’re off your scope.

If you drop into a RES site, they’ll continually spawn.

Clicker

This is what happens when the game doesn't even try to pretend that the universe continues doing its own thing when you're not around. The pirates spawned because you did, nothing more nothing less. They really need to simulate the instance for a bit before the player finishes dropping into one so they can at least make it look like stuff was happening and people were there before you arrived. This term is rarely used in its appropriate context around here but it's actually immersion breaking when we can see very clearly that nothing exists in any instance until we arrive and it begins to populate with NPCs. A bit of smoke and mirrors is more than appropriate here, but this is just one of many things we've been asking for since before launch with nary a mention given.

Yep, this is an area that could use improvement. You could have "dodgy" ships sitting in SC or outside stations scanning passing ships, pirate scouts searching rings, only have them turn up after you have worked a route more than once. Anything would be better than the psychic pirate squad.

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, the old RNG + Scripted Spawn Scenarios lacking sanity checks...

It can get quite annoying, i.e. when the Servers hickup and you'll have to face relogging multiple times.

Other than that, Game the System... Upon spawning, instantly begin Afterburning. NPCs not having a Player or other contact within 7.5km trigger range will fly circles for a few Minutes and then disappear.
Since their Scripts take a little while to kick into action, it's usually possible to get beyond 8+km, although not always.

But by the time they've approached and scanned (which the initial and permanent Afterburning will stall for a considerable time), one can easily escape Mass-Lock.

Key is to know that upon respawning, the spawn scripts will launch from scratch and will frequently spawn Pirate NPCs - and act accordingly.

Hello,

jepp, they don't bother you as long as you have just limpets as cargo.
Drop in - boost, boost and ciao.
You won't see them again

It is why a mining ship really needs to be able to either fight an NPC pirate, or run away - a min-max miner build (eg. shieldless) simply isn't going to last long. You will always get at least one pirate spawning in a ring. The old "arrive empty, wait till the pirate scans you and then start mining" trick only works once, if you log out (or get a server disconnect) while your hold is half-full, you will get a pirate if you log back in.

The only way to avoid it is to fly far enough outside of the Bubble to reach what the game considers "uninhabited space"; I have heard people say "500 LYs", but I'm not sure if that's measured from Sol or from the edge of the Bubble (which would be more like 1000 LYs from Sol).

A pirate that follows your wake on the offchance is believable, so I'm okay with the initial spawn. However I agree it's irritating to have them spawn on every instance change, as mentioned if you are disconnected or just want to do it over more than one session.

However discouraging min/maxing goes in the positive column, so I'm okay with it, clunky and immersion breaking as it is, if it encourages players to be prepared for any eventuality.

One or two ships always seem to spawn wherever you drop. Drop in, boost away from the area where you dropped and you should be left in peace.

If you are mining in a high security system, there is a good chance that the ships that spawn will be authority ships or other miners, rather than pirates.

Yeah its really annoying. It used to be a very long time ago now that if you dropped in a random location (not a res site) you wouldn't get any pirates at all, it was a feature not a bug i thought.

Try an uninhabited system? Im not sure this works either.

Luckily system security is also almost immediate in secured systems, so it kinda compensates. It was still better when you could do avoid pirates altogether with logic. Everyone is a combat happy player even while mining it seems.

Yeah its really annoying. It used to be a very long time ago now that if you dropped in a random location (not a res site) you wouldn't get any pirates at all, it was a feature not a bug i thought.

Try an uninhabited system? Im not sure this works either.

Luckily system security is also almost immediate in secured systems, so it kinda compensates. It was still better when you could do avoid pirates altogether with logic. Everyone is a combat happy player even while mining it seems.

That's because they have no game mechanic to provide to the player other than npc opposition.

What is the barrier for miners if not pirates? The roids are RNG. There is no skill or game involved with mining, you just sit in front of a rock and hold a button down ....periodically launching limpets.

It's apparently either too time consuming or too late to implement something fun and skillful for miners to have to do solely while mining. So throw some combat in.

You get the same thing with trading.

Trading is absolutely brain dead space trucking. There's no gameplay or skillful activity involved in it. Just tedious spreadsheet jockeying if you dont just rely on web-based scripts on third party sites to do the jockeying for you. So throw in some random pirates to interdict you.

Exploring? Well, implementing environmental hazards will probably take time and effort. Though for this one, they didn't even bother trying to think of a paper thin excuse for throwing a pirate after you. There's just nothing.

Combat was the only gameplay mechanic that was implemented in a mostly complete way at launch. So it's used everywhere in place of other gameplay mechanics.

But i wouldn't make the mistake of thinking that combat players are happy with the combat they have in the game. It's not like the npcs are hard to kill unless they cheat and killing the npcs is an empty accomplishment since the npcs are infinite, non-persistent, and it doesn't really mean anything in the game to kill them or not kill them.

What is the barrier for miners if not pirates?

Sandbox players don't need 'jeopardy'. The point of mining to the non combat players is in this order: 1) looking at the view, 2) flying slowly between asteroids and chipping them away 3) pretending something is happening while watching the limpets. The gameplay is the external camera.

'Gameplay' is nearly always a supermassive hinderance to simulator / sandbox players. Same with exploring. If i (we) want combat, we go seek it out ourselves and get in there guns blazing in a corvette. Its actually not enjoyable to be jeopardised outside of this scenario in my opinion.

Good point that its a super grey area though. Its a balance of

- Elite started as simulator experience only and is evolving to support a gamers game.
- Players have joined along the way with different styles, and while the sets are distinct where it intersects servicing one player group screws with the other.
- Frontiers development attitude of only doing things in minor increments, so NO feature set is fully complete, making it hard for both gamer and simulator players to form solid expectations (or go off into a corner be play happily).

Yeah all those concerns sound like the worst problem to solve and complete wrong idea in my opinion, with good respect there are many types of players in elite.

Last edited:
Log out for sleep
Log back in PIRATE!

Get away... Log out

Pretty much why I only do deep space mining. Mine anywhere within 50LY of an inhabited system and this dude seems to be there.. Wouldn't mind so much if the NPC asked me to call heads or tails.

[video=youtube;4Kct-NGCVVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kct-NGCVVE[/video]

Unfortunately this is one of the more idiotic design decisions with the game, assuming it is by design.

I'd raise it as a bug report, but i suspect i'd get the dreaded "working as intended" reply. I'd rather try and live in false hope that its just a bug that FD one day sort it out.

To work around it, when you stop for the day mining, go hand in your cargo then go out again with just limpets in your hold.

The point of randomly dropping into a ring is to have it to yourself. If we are to believe the ring is littered with pirates, we are to believe there are billions of them in every ring, like fleas.

It's always annoyed me that you cannot get any real solitude in the game which is what you want when mining. It's not like you're making a fortune, but FD has to throw in the "kill stuff" carrot because they are certain that's why you were there to begin with.

Top Bottom