Pay ARX For X - Phisto's Two Cents

OK, bear with me here but what if we could pay ARX for actual improvements to the game?

We could balance engineering, provide a greater range of NPC challenge, create more varied and interesting exploration gameplay, drive the story forward (make the Thargoids a real threat again!), or gods... dare I say it? With enough ARX we could even get Powerplay improved!

What do you all think????

This is a 'Why is pay to win bad?' question.

For Credits, and anything that can be obtained with credits in the game (ships, modules, carriers etc), I think most of the objections have now been eliminated - Cash transfer between players is easy, obtaining huge sums of cash is pretty easy too with shared community knowledge.

For Mats, and anything that can be obtained with mats in the game (premium ammo, engineering etc) there is currently no substitute for playing the game, but there are several shortcuts (Dav's Hope, DSS + Geo/Bio POIs etc) that make it grindy but pretty quick, so it's not as far along as Credits in terms of attainability but still, P2W would not fundamentally change the game any more.

I think P2W should be a bad thing, I think my willingness to grind (tenacity) should in some respects at least partly compensate for my relative lack of outright skill compared to a player I am competing against, so that there is more than one way to overcome an obstacle. But I don't think it would actually be all that bad any more, given how the game development has panned out.

So sure, why not?

OK, bear with me here but what if we could pay ARX for actual improvements to the game?

We could balance engineering, provide a greater range of NPC challenge, create more varied and interesting exploration gameplay, drive the story forward (make the Thargoids a real threat again!), or gods... dare I say it? With enough ARX we could even get Powerplay improved!

What do you all think????
New kickstarter.... anyone?

Sorry but nope.

For me your idea = cut content turned DLC, loot boxes and plain cash grab. I already paid for the product in the retail price and am not willing to pour another $ just to have things fixed. I know software is released "as is" with all strings attached but still... I expect it to be at least functional and if it isn't I expect developers to fix it WITHIN the amount I paid.

Also - what would stop devs from releasing broken game ON PURPOSE just to offer extra paid "fixes"? Smells like those "free" P2W games - game is free but anything that makes it playable and enjoyable costs multiple times more than AAA titles.

And a quastion for you: IF that would happen, how would you solve the following:
  • CMDR X, at the cost of 2180 ARX opted for nefring combat AI since NPCs are too difficult
  • CMDR Y, at the cost of 2180 ARX opted for buffing combat AI since NPCs are too easy and he wants some challenge

Both paid for their respective improvement to be implemented...

I paid them a hundred and something quid for expansion packs (improvements to the game) quite some time ago - they are finally making one, five years later.

So... it... workX?

Top Bottom