Orange Sidewinder error crash on supercruise

Having summoned my carrier remotely to orbit the nearby planet, after it arrived I tried to supercruise towards it. On entering supercruise the game just hung until giving the Orange Sidewinder error code. First happened in Private Group, the second time in Solo after reloading from the first crash.

Having an issue with transitioning from normal space to Supercruise/Hyperspace (Orange Sidewinder). Since this has been reported I won’t go into much more detail other than I exited out the game and left my PC for about 40 minutes. When I returned, I still had a dark monitor screen showing. Used the windows key to get to my desktop then task manager to end all ED processes. This has happened to me twice now.

I seem to be permanently stuck in normal space as well.

If I leave it and do nothing, <Colour> <Ship> black screen.
If I try to jump to super, <Colour> <Ship> black screen.
If I try to jump to another system, no buttons appear to select a system to jump to... then <Colour> <Ship> black screen.

Location, Diso. I had just touched down on my carrier.

I exited the game completely, then reloaded it. I found that a Hyperspace jump had concluded after all, despite the system crash.
When I Hyperspaced back into the original system I was re-entered into normal Supercruise and was able to once again navigate to my FC and then on to the Tritium depot, from which I was able to return. It seemed that the event created by the arrival of my FC in the system, where I was already in place waiting, somewhat upset the applecart.

Just happened to me today on logging onto my session 07:16 UTC. I was on my Fleet Carrier in Eravate and got it.The game at the moment feels very wobbly, like my granddad getting up to the toilet.

Just happened again while out mining. Had to abort because as soon as I logged back in I had three pirates on me. I wish they put a cool-down on those NPC attacks.

Happening to me right now, over and over in all modes. I bought the FC and now trying to jump with an anaconda to another system, keeps giving Orange Sidewinder error.

Started happening again today. I thought it was because there were a lot of carriers in system. I have jumped my FC to an uninhabited system, and I get the same problem. I can't SC in system, and I can't jump to another system either.

I keep getting the dreaded "Orange Sidewinder" tonight too, just stuck in supercruise, then it crashed to the menu. I'm 1300 Ly out in the black!

Haven't been able to log in for a week, no feedback from support. Spinning ship in the loading screen, then the orange sidewinder error.

All started after the last update that broke paintjobs.

the worm is in the whole game. But the main thing is that the Arx's sell well, even though paint jobs are not displayed either. disgusting🤮
since the update the pc stutters, stops and then comes the following windows. I already had two reports with crash reporter today.
boah.jpg

Last edited:
5 days ago i submit the ticket regarding orange sidewinder error (with no response from Frontier) and finally today i menage to continue the game following some instructions on various forums.
First thing that i made was to go back on the base station and than exit the game complete.
Then i start game again in original Elite (non Horizon) to be sent to orbit automatically , because base game not support planetary landing.
once i was in orbit i did engage Hyperspace jump to another (any) system that I checked on left panel (need to find some system that is not obscured with planet)
AND THAT IS ALL.
Do not make mistake , like i did, and DO NOT ENGAGE supercruise because you will be stuck in orbit far away from the base and only solution will be self destruct.
Hope that will be helpful to somebody.
O7

5 days ago i submit the ticket regarding orange sidewinder error (with no response from Frontier) and finally today i menage to continue the game following some instructions on various forums.
First thing that i made was to go back on the base station and than exit the game complete.
Then i start game again in original Elite (non Horizon) to be sent to orbit automatically , because base game not support planetary landing.
once i was in orbit i did engage Hyperspace jump to another (any) system that I checked on left panel (need to find some system that is not obscured with planet)
AND THAT IS ALL.
Do not make mistake , like i did, and DO NOT ENGAGE supercruise because you will be stuck in orbit far away from the base and only solution will be self destruct.
Hope that will be helpful to somebody.
O7
I found the same solutions, on my third attempt to get outta Felicity's planet and got stuck at 00.000 supercruise, so I decided to self destruct my ship DB Explorer and ended up far up somewhere and was able to play the game normally.

I just had teh same issue. Leaving Frontier Inc and wanting to go into SC but get stuck with Orange Sideiwinder after counter goes to 000.000. Nothing has helped, restarting, logging in/out, reset network. Only by chance I tapped twice on 'J' when it showed the stuck SC screen and suddenly the SC started. but woudl not stop until I double tapped 'J' again. This way I managed to move to a nearby Fleet Carrier to land. After that everything worked fine again and I could normally jump away to a different system. Another time J didn't work I succeeded with hitting X to go to 0 Speed and then again throtle to full speed. Then the SC started. You could try that.

Last edited:
Been having the same issue for 3 days now. Stuck in a planets atmosphere unable to jump out.
Counter goes down to 0 and then freezes/crashes the game whenever i try to supercruise.

Been having the same issue for 3 days now. Stuck in a planets atmosphere unable to jump out.
Counter goes down to 0 and then freezes/crashes the game whenever i try to supercruise.
Have you tried the "work around" that some have found helps:

start the game in base game i.e. NOT Horizons - so on loading you find yourself in orbit above the planet in normal space DO NOT ENGAGE SUPERCRUISE - select a destination system in the nav panel - check the nav marker is not obscured (pick another until you have a clear view) - make a hyperjump to that targeted system.

good luck

Top Bottom