Open Letter to E:D Odyssey Dev Team regarding planet surfaces, canyons, "hooning" and the risk of accidentally exterminating the very active niche

We know the Alpha's planet gen was "incomplete" but since we have no way to know how it will be, we can only discuss what we do know.

The community management said they were specifically trying to have canyons for canyon running, and that they even had "handcrafted" some, whatever that means. But all indications is that they are "VJ Style" canyons, not actual... well... uh... fun-yons? If you want fun Canyons, FDev, you need them to be be tight, twisty and rubble-y!

It seems they'll be procedural:

One of the things that you'll see which is new, compared to the alpha, is more procedural canyoning again and that, there's a few of us who put in a big push for that, but mostly because of those canyon runners those those daredevil flight people. And yeah lovely to put those back in, um, procedurally place but also their placements, their intensity, is dependent on what's there from stellar forge, from those pre-baked pieces of terrain

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZwxgfuqdzk&t=3027s

And that there will be more variety from regional blending:

So much can be done by ensuring you get the right contrast now, I don't mean white to black pixels on your screen, I mean what is a flat piece of terrain next to a mountainous piece of terrain, how do they intersect, how do they blend into each other. When you've got those distinct regions you get the contrast in a scene, yeah that's when things start working
nicely yep.

So obviously still unknown whether that'll recreate the 'hooning' opportunites you want, but obviously there are at least some changes coming for launch.

I don't think people are hostile to it, I think people are just aware we simply don't know yet what the planets will really be like. I suspect everyone is for not losing what we had.
When some of the first replies are "Hilarious", "About time we got another open letter" and some banter about the difference between hooning and canyon running then it's easy to read them as hostile, since OP is being serious and the replies are poking fun.

More on-topic: That VR Asp Scout FA-off video is insane. Here's hoping we find even better terrain in Odyssey so you guys can pump out more videos like that

... read them as hostile, since OP is being serious and the replies are poking fun.
which i'd consider as hypocritical. The OP "pokes fun" and belittles people enjoying canyon running.

"Canyon Running" ... is basically just going in a straight line in a "canyon" so wide we fly our anacondas sideways in. ... This is the Autobahn "racing" ... Or ... the tutorial mission ... they are "VJ Style" canyons, not actual... well... uh... fun-yons?"

etc.

I'd be surprised if a somebody writing an "Open Letter", which makes fun of those peasant cmdrs enjoying canyon running, would consider it as hostile - those replies will be surely much to broad to even been read by the true elite of hooners.

imagine how an OP might have been received, which relates to the fun of canyon racing which so many cmdrs have, puts up some cool vids of great flying explaining what is needed, and asking, whether such terrain will be in odyssee as well.

imagine how an OP might have been received, which relates to the fun of canyon racing which so many cmdrs have, puts up some cool vids of great flying explaining what is needed, and asking, whether such terrain will be in odyssee as well.
Good point. Another lesson in phrasing for this forum lol. That would probably be a more appropriate way to approach the topic rather than bringing all the baggage associated with open letters

Deleted member 121570

D
Without defending anything in tone from OP or attacking interpretation by anyone else; I'd still suggest that there potentially is an issue here and raising awareness of that risk is good.

If it goes, it's gone. I'm hoping like hell it doesn't, and ultimately - whether you like how the OP phrased it or not - I'm glad it's been raised.

This one in particular carries no threat or loss to anyone if addressed. And if there's nothing cool to fly around, I can't make any more insane vids :p

When some of the first replies are "Hilarious", "About time we got another open letter" and some banter about the difference between hooning and canyon running then it's easy to read them as hostile, since OP is being serious and the replies are poking fun.

Welcome to the Elite Dangerous forums, you must be new here, yes?

Missed it; what was said?
There was a passing comment made about the 'full fat' tech making some very good ridges and valleys as well as improved scattering (compared to the dinosaur we had) and the implication was that the 'crazy crews' might be impressed (my words, not theirs!) by the choice.

Deleted member 121570

D
There was a passing comment made about the 'full fat' tech making some very good ridges and valleys as well as improved scattering (compared to the dinosaur we had) and the implication was that the 'crazy crews' might be impressed (my words, not theirs!) by the choice.

I'll temper the comment with an observation that they may not know exactly what conditions make for your fun, but the implication was there were still impressive bits of landscape to get involved with.

Your temperance is noted. Thanks for sharing that sliver of detail :)

Top Bottom