Odyssey's Biggest Weakness: It lacks depth

Mmm... Odyssey is an addon for a sandbox space sim.

The game is not mission lead and never was, so well... you get the point.
An add-on at the price tag of some full games though - if they charge like that, they have to take the critic like that as well.

And don't forget that the wording of FDev is quite different to an add-on - they call it major step forward and a giant leap - doesn't sound just like an add-on, does it?

Last edited:
It's so clever how someone can form a solid opinion on something after only 1 week of the first phase of an alpha testing release.
We know Frontier have disabled a lot of features for phase one and we know there are things that will be in Odyssey that will not be in the alpha at all( spoilers!! )

Please come back one week after the actual full release of Odyssey, assuming you've managed to play through all the missions and combat zones etc and done some exploration etc etc etc. At that point your opinion may worth the time to read it.
I still prefer OTT feedback over no feedback until after release, FDev are asking for it and they can simply ignore the noise they consider irrelevant, I'm sure they're big boys/girls capable of that.

It's got to be constructive though, and I think the OP is, if maybe slightly premature, but better be in early than missing the bus altogether.

Whilst you might be right in the long run, You're slagging of Phase 1 of an Alpha. I would not like to work for you, we would all be sacked 1st week in our 4 week probation cycle ;(
The alpha excuse - if their code is still alpha now, they cannot release it end of may - and it is said to be released late spring. So this is basically what you will get, just fed to you bit by bit - there is not much time to make major changes, what an alpha would be good for - this is basically a beta - fixing of major bugs and eventually some optimization. This is not an alpha in the real sense of an alpha, but a beta in disguise - and not even that really, it is WYSIWYG to the most part, just fed to you in small bites.

We know Frontier have disabled a lot of features for phase one and we know there are things that will be in Odyssey that will not be in the alpha at all( spoilers!! )
The AI does not hide its intention: to kill you for any reason. Beyond that, there's nothing more to say. It's a pretty average grinding FPS with Tribe inspired gameplay.

The AI does not hide its intention: to kill you for any reason. Beyond that, there's nothing more to say. It's a pretty average grinding FPS with Tribe inspired gameplay.
I like the AI, I've not encountered many AI's that flank and shoot you in the back while you are firing on other targets. I also love the way they can run away and take cover when their shields go down.
The whole 'going hostile instantly' for minor things is a bit too much, but it's an alpha, they have plenty of time to dial that back.
For me the biggest missing feature in their AI is they never jump to take high ground or get to the building you are on, they will use the stairs, but if there are no stairs to the roof then they can't reach you.

I like the AI, I've not encountered many AI's that flank and shoot you in the back while you are firing on other targets. I also love the way they can run away and take cover when their shields go down.
The whole 'going hostile instantly' for minor things is a bit too much, but it's an alpha, they have plenty of time to dial that back.
For me the biggest missing feature in their AI is they never jump to take high ground or get to the building you are on, they will use the stairs, but if there are no stairs to the roof then they can't reach you.
The way the AI handles combat situations is not the major problem. It could be better but it's still very decent as it is. The big problem is how the AI handles a situation to avoid combat. Currently, the AI does everything to provoke a combat situation.

The alpha excuse - if their code is still alpha now, they cannot release it end of may - and it is said to be released late spring. So this is basically what you will get, just fed to you bit by bit - there is not much time to make major changes, what an alpha would be good for - this is basically a beta - fixing of major bugs and eventually some optimization. This is not an alpha in the real sense of an alpha, but a beta in disguise - and not even that really, it is WYSIWYG to the most part, just fed to you in small bites.
As a developer, to me Alpha means not all features are in and fully working but you have a stable platform for testing what is there. Beta is all features are there and it's stable enough to test.
I seriously doubt Frontier can move from public Alpha to internal Beta(???) to GA (General Release) in just the few weeks they have.
I think this 'alpha' release must be a lot closer to 'Beta' ( ie the majority of the features are there, just disabled until they want us to test them ) - this 'alpha' release is really for testing stability on lots of different hardware and with lots of players ( two things that are not really possible for the in-house QA team ). This is backed up by the number of bugs that were already known and the phase two known issues list, these bugs have already been found internally but they are not completely game breaking so will get fixed between now and release.

Balance and AI fixes should be minor tweaks and changes based on a majority of feedback: one persons rant about the AI being too hard is another persons praise for how the AI is actually challenging!

• Missions are sub-par for the first person genre, and deceptively lack freedom of choice
I can't think of any open world FPS that offers much more freedom and choice than Odessey does. It has more than Farcry does from memory.
Which game offers more?

Yeah, it's surprising how people eat this "it's an alpha" excuse. I thought it was a Star Citisnt thing but they're just as willing to accept it here too.

An add-on at the price tag of some full games though - if they charge like that, they have to take the critic like that as well.
Odyssey doesn't fill like an add-on, it feels like a whole new game.
We have a lot of 'new' stuff.
  • The ground bases are new.
  • The station interiors are new.
  • The ground missions are new.
  • The game play they bring is new.
  • New items, tools and weapons.
  • New materials / commodities and data.
  • New huds.
  • An updated game engine for more modern lighting.
  • Completely re-written planet tech for surfaces.
  • All new material based textures for all the ships etc.
  • New AI for ground NPC's
  • New models, textures and dialog recorded for NPC's
  • Plus whatever else I've missed or not seen yet or has not officially been announced to avoid soilers.

The only bit that's the same is the bit inside the taxi or your ship getting from the station to the mission/combat location. Even that is completely new if you are using the new combat drop ship.

I can't think of any open world FPS that offers much more freedom and choice than Odessey does. It has more than Farcry does from memory.
Which game offers more?
have you even played a farcry game lately or one of the latest 3 assassin's creed games?- I doubt you did, because then you would think differently. But then again it would be wrong to compare it to those anyway - single player is a lot different to MMO and those are full price games around 100 bucks.

And yet so many players love the game and invest soooo many hours into it - I'm tempted to think the 'depth' problem is not the game but the gamer.
i think you are right about that - Elite goes far back to the 1980s - and a lot are playing since that time - for them it is progress, but measured against modern games, it is mediocre at best. So is it about the gamer - certainly, younger gamers expect more than this. You deserve a like nevertheless, because I think that is the point. If FDev wants to attract more younger players, they have to do more in a shorter amount of time - they are snails in developing the game - this is not how it is done nowadays.

And people are used to spend more on a game nowadays as well - so why not do a really huge expansion for full price about every other year - they'll have to hire more staff most likely to do that though. And flesh out existing systems - like the economy for example - it is too easy to hit a wall with it - and then just those loving repetitive tasks where they got good in like to continue ... others will look for another game though. Especially because nowadays you have limited time compared to nearly unlimited game opportunities, you don't know what to play first - it is not like many here make it appear - to just play one game every day - multiple games in parallel is far more likely nowadays. Like I'm active in 4 MMOs and play a couple of single player games as well in parallel.

Last edited:
Odyssey doesn't fill like an add-on, it feels like a whole new game.
We have a lot of 'new' stuff.
  • The ground bases are new.
  • The station interiors are new.
  • The ground missions are new.
  • The game play they bring is new.
  • New items, tools and weapons.
  • New materials / commodities and data.
  • New huds.
  • An updated game engine for more modern lighting.
  • Completely re-written planet tech for surfaces.
  • All new material based textures for all the ships etc.
  • New AI for ground NPC's
  • New models, textures and dialog recorded for NPC's
  • Plus whatever else I've missed or not seen yet or has not officially been announced to avoid soilers.

The only bit that's the same is the bit inside the taxi or your ship getting from the station to the mission/combat location. Even that is completely new if you are using the new combat drop ship.
There is a lot new, certainly, but to mention stations fails the argument completely - a menu-replacer on legs - nothing more. This is the most disappointing part of Odyssey. Otherwise it can't compare to proper stealth gameplay, it cannot compare to proper FPS gameplay - I will like it nevertheless, but it is far less than I expected and I didn't even expect that much.

You know, I'm disappointed because at that development speed I might not be able to ever see atmospheric planets with flowing rivers, forests with game to hunt or being able to have a house there and make it cozy and comfortable - enjoy a bit being out in the galaxy, but not in it's sterile parts, but on new worlds and settle here and there. This is most likely never going to happen within my lifetime at that speed - and I'm just 33. And especially not with this lack for any immersive social stuff - those stations show that they have not a bit of understanding for that.

And then some dare to compare it to farcry - where I can do this kind of stuff - go fishing, go hunting and so on.

Last edited:
That's not exactly a good point, the missions in Horizons are weak sauce at best, and Odyssey only bumps it up by a single notch on the dial.

And again, ED is not mission driven.

And they cannot really make missions very elaborate since they are also a tool for BGS and are supposed to be done in bulk for those +inf changes

And yet so many players love the game and invest soooo many hours into it - I'm tempted to think the 'depth' problem is not the game but the gamer.

Quite the opposite. With making up a lot of things in our minds it's rather us gamers who fill the emptiness. Somehow it works, maybe because it's so mindbogglingly vast. But to say that the game has depth would be illusory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom