ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors

Snowflakery at its finest. Loads of indy FPS VR games out there and no reports of deaths. We have a dev team who are pretty much incapable of understanding VR. They don’t even know what makes an engaging game as this one is a grindfest of repetition. They are supposed to have a wondrous generation but haven’t bothered to do Earth.

Nah mate, it’s just business. The guys trying to expand VR understand that initial nausea experiences are a big impediment to new players getting on board. (Especially the casual crowd who need a red carpet to entice them in, compared to the more passionate crowd who have driven VR growth to date). So they design around it.

If you can’t understand that popular titles need to take those steps, then it’s a good thing you’re not influential when it comes to making VR a success.

Personally I’m gonna get back to enjoying the extremes of War Dust and arguing for a hacky backdoor for EDOVR. Because us VR vets still want our fun too. For sure.

But lol at your 'I just want the Earth’ routine. That is super fitting ;)

I'd go as far as to say that for VR vets like myself the notion of onfoot content being delivered as a virtual flatscreen experience is as enticing as this fisher price "my first motorbike"...
1616419737652.png

...would be to these top tier motorbike racers:
1616419822112.png

It's not that sad, I've done that with things like "virtual desktop" for non VR games when I have been travelling using my laptop, but Elite is a VR game, so shouldn't need that. Out of curiosity, how good or bad an experience is Elite in "virtual flat" mode?
It's like if my TV was the size of my wall but it makes text hard to read at that size. The headset removes the rest of the room and the sound from the earbuds on it is good. Better sense of scale but I suspect still not doing it justice.

If the screen would fix to where I'm looking and still use headlook I might forget it's not VR if I didn't already know better

I wonder if (speaking of VR in general) if some kind of haptic vest might help with motion sickness.

If you push forward, the rear of the vest pushes against your back, giving you the sensation of accelerating forwards (as you get in a vehicle seat). Push back, the vest pushes against your chest.

I don´t care about possible motion sickness while on foot at VR, I would just switch then to 2D screen, as I would do anyways if the foot-section in VR is just a 2D thing...

Guess I will hold back on buying that newest 3070 / 3080 GPU and newest processor PC with VR device, until they have this sorted, would be kind of a big investment just for a one game. Or even two.

I wonder if (speaking of VR in general) if some kind of haptic vest might help with motion sickness.

If you push forward, the rear of the vest pushes against your back, giving you the sensation of accelerating forwards (as you get in a vehicle seat). Push back, the vest pushes against your chest.

Really glad that there'll be station interiors. A space sim where you can get off your ship and walk on planets or stations was my dream since the early 2000s. After Star Citizen introduced planetary landings at the end of 2017 I thought that'd be it. And while it is really cool, there's just no content around it.

So a few days ago - with Odyssey on the horizon (pun intended) - I decided to give Elite Dangerous a try. Even if you can't walk directly to your ship in the hangar or walk inside ships, I think lore and content will more than make up for it. Looking forward to release!

Really glad that there'll be station interiors. A space sim where you can get off your ship and walk on planets or stations was my dream since the early 2000s. After Star Citizen introduced planetary landings at the end of 2017 I thought that'd be it. And while it is really cool, there's just no content around it.

So a few days ago - with Odyssey on the horizon (pun intended) - I decided to give Elite Dangerous a try. Even if you can't walk directly to your ship in the hangar or walk inside ships, I think lore and content will more than make up for it. Looking forward to release!
Welcome - have fun!

that sounds expensive!

There are cheap haptic vests, but they are incredibly basic - just converting the audio output to vibrations. For something like the above, yeah I imagine they would be expensive - it'd need some kind of 'actuators' to tighten/stiffen areas of the vest, and you'd need at least 4 zones to support 2 axes. Then you'd need the movement input from the game, which presumably would need some kind of driver and the game to add support for it. So yeah, not cheap!

Obviously it'd be fun, but I'd be interested if it'd help with the motion-sickness side of it.

There are cheap haptic vests, but they are incredibly basic - just converting the audio output to vibrations. For something like the above, yeah I imagine they would be expensive - it'd need some kind of 'actuators' to tighten/stiffen areas of the vest, and you'd need at least 4 zones to support 2 axes. Then you'd need the movement input from the game, which presumably would need some kind of driver and the game to add support for it. So yeah, not cheap!

Obviously it'd be fun, but I'd be interested if it'd help with the motion-sickness side of it.
I was actually thinking compressed air for the pressure part - much like the nitrogen-filled space-x space suits

I'd be interested if it'd help with the motion-sickness side of it.
Highly doubt that as the motion sickness is an atavism from the times we ingested things we found on our tribe roamings :) I read that there's basically three sensors which govern this - the eyes, the inner ear and the spine. Out of which the discrepancy between the eyes and the inner ear is paramount, and that's why trying to physically turn your head while the camera is turning is helpful. A vest like you describe would probably increase immersion but not alleviate motion sickness - which by the way people become immune to after a few hours in VR. Just don't eat nasty things in the woods after you got your VR legs ;-)

I think it'd be a cool idea if instead of just a flat screen for walking, they somehow enabled the 2D screen to be 3D (or, at least have the option for it), so that even if it's just a flat, stationary screen, it still has depth to it.

Either way, I think it's a good compromise for the initial launch. I can't play this game without VR now, as it's just a much better experience, but this will hold me over until true VR walking is a reality.

However, we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features which offer the most meaningful experience and gameplay for all players.
Ship interiors would be a location and feature that would offer one of the most(if not the most) meaningful experience on this game about being alone in the black with nothing but our ship. There is no place like home, they say, and the ship is like home for us.
I thought I would finally be able to get up, walk to the SRV bay, board it and deploy it.
Thanks for space legs though.

Top Bottom