ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

This is just a hot mess, can’t believe it’s been in development for so long, and I’m not talking about the bugs - it’s an alpha, but it’s pretty apparent to me Odyssey is just a new game focused on FPS gameplay, the absence of ship interiors isn’t an oversight, they simply haven’t bothered because it’s at least obvious to me their intentions were to simply capitalise on FPS player base.

OK so longtime player here, Founder with life time pass and ardent ‘elite feet’ supporter in the respect of what Braben and team set out to develop, that being something really immersive.

Been testing the Alpha and it’s pretty apparent that Odyssey is not ‘elite feet’ but a separate first person shooter, mocked up to look more than it actually is.

Essentially settlements are not active environments where NPCs go about conducting business, these are maps for FPS content first; scavenging etc really brought this home to me, as I moved about thinking mmm sniper point, mmm cover, mmm why put this here, these resources are just drop / loot boxes.

The stations are just empty lobbies with nothing really happened, no social nor environmental occurrences eg no NPCs sweeping the floor (that I could see) or repairing stuff, no refugees etc it was just another situation for menus, geared to engage you in FPS missions, bars were dull and lifeless.

Unless FD put some more content in (it is Alpha) this will get very dull and boring very quickly. You cant even buy a drink!

A good example is the taxi service, FD say they don’t want to implement ship interiors because it will take up players time negotiating corridors, but the taxi service straps you in a seat, where you are literally doing nothing for minutes at a time.

Now back in the day FD talked about such a thing, but with an option to mingle with NPCS and access missions etc, but simply looking around shows you how little they have thought this out regards to Odyssey.

The taxis have a minimum number of seats (all empty), and these are ships which can haul tonnes and where internal space is a premium! If this was better thought out they would have implemented a simple ramp and filled every inch with seats.

At most the taxi service I feel is to ferry players to fights in safety, and avoid griefers. It will basically cut the player base in two, FPS types and sim types).

Overall the feeling I got is yup, this isn’t feet, and it put me in mind of what Braben said when Odyssey was launched ‘some people aren’t going to be happy’. And I think he was including himself in that.

It’s apparent to me at least that FD has lost its way. All of the really cool ideas proposed have never materialised, they have always settled for the easiest option, I used to put this down to limited imagination but I now believe it’s simple corporate greed, it works, it’s cheap - use it, does it work, keep it and move on.

I do feel FD have over a number of years aimed at producing elite feet in a manner which was immersive and intelligent, the evidence is extensive, but these ideas and development leaders have fallen by the wayside over and over, to the point where they actually archived much of their previous content, that’s the point I lost faith.

Currently FD have at least been very helpful in confirming my suspicions and that Elite Dangerous is no longer on the path set out by Braben, it’s something else. It’s not dead, but I am pretty certain it’s not going to be improved.

This is it, it ain’t getting any better.

Last edited:
This is just a hot mess, can’t believe it’s been in development for so long, and I’m not talking about the bugs - it’s an alpha, but it’s pretty apparent to me Odyssey is just a new game focused on FPS gameplay, the absence of ship interiors isn’t an oversight, they simply haven’t bothered because it’s at least obvious to me their intentions were to simply capitalise on FPS player base.

For me, as a teenager playing Elite back from Elite 2 and EFF, this is one step towards more immersion and "ideal Elite" + more / better quality planets, not to even mention all those THOUSANDS of different kind of stations / outposts / ground bases there will be soon available (as all of the 27 times X times X factors are mixed at their interiors, much more important to me than JUST some 40 different ship interiors with no life...).

I were never actually that much interested about FPS-shooter elements or "Apex-taxi" we can test now, but how Odyssey will eventually wider the space and area (even through foot) in the universe I can experience more and better than before (such as more and better quality planets, and many different possible variations of station / outpost /ground base interiors and each having even their different views from the windows).

Also, I can already see how Odyssey can give hope that even more, such as ship interiors and more complex planets, are not that though to do or that far away in the future.

Edit; And btw taking a Apex -taxi is not a guarantee you will not be interdicted and / or killed by another player in the Open.

Last edited:
For me, as a teenager playing Elite back from Elite 2 and EFF, this is one step towards more immersion and "ideal Elite" + more / better quality planets, not to even mention all those THOUSANDS of different kind of stations / outposts / ground bases there will be soon available (as all of the 27 times X times X factors are mixed at their interiors, much more important to me than JUST some 40 different ship interiors with no life...).

I were never actually that much interested about FPS-shooter elements or "Apex-taxi" we can test now, but how Odyssey will eventually wider the space and area (even through foot) in the universe I can experience more and better than before (such as more and better quality planets, and many different possible variations of station / outpost /ground base interiors and each having even their different views from the windows).

Also, I can already see how Odyssey can give hope that even more, such as ship interiors and more complex planets, are not that though to do or that far away in the future.
Let’s hope so, I appreciate your optimism, and I do hope they utilise Odyssey to expand upon...I honestly really do.

More life FD, more life.

Last edited:
Gotta admit I am mightily frustrated having spent hours failing missions to finally succeed in gaining the objective (collect documents) just to be destroyed in the Apex shuttle while taking off to return to the mission giver. It seems base security weren't impressed with me breaking into their facility and the patrol ship blew me and the poor Apex pilot to smithereens as we took off. so frustrating but really fun and enthralling while figuring out how to achieve my goals.

I've seen enough for now. It's not even a good First-Person game (and I hesitate to use the word "shooter", just as I hesitate to take "shooter" type missions" but that's just me).

1. Take Mission
  2. Wonder what that's all about but head out anyway
  3. Get very confused because countless other players are also trying to figure it out at the same time and undoing whatever you manage to figure out faster than you can figure it out.
  4. Finally work out you'll have a better chance in solo (due to step 3)
  5. Realise you don't have a vital piece of eauipment needed to complete your task.
  6. Fly back to the nearest station in order to buy said equipment.
  7. Discover the only way to do that is to buy a more expensive suit that is equipped with said equipment, which you can't afford.
  8. Give up.
It's become very clear to me that atmospheric planets have very little to do with this update. All you get is the same old Horizons planets with a faint coloured tinge on the horizon, poor framerates and LODs that look rubbish until they resolve (which can take many seconds). It's probably actually ruined Horizons until I can shell out on some new hardware (although admittedly that remains to be seen).

poor framerates and LODs that look rubbish until they resolve (which can take many seconds). It's probably actually ruined Horizons until I can shell out on some new hardware (although admittedly that remains to be seen).

IT'S AN ALPHA! Stuff being broken is literally the point, and Frontier specifically came out the other day and said the optimization work has not been done yet, and the performance will be bad and to expect it to perform poorly in alpha.

Also some of your # items have already been fixed by the day 2 hotfix. And some of your other # items are obviously bugs that you, as an alpha tester should be reporting. This is an alpha test not an early access timeframe, you are being a tester, not a player.

But point is you're complaining that an alpha is an alpha...

Just wanted to say really enjoyed my session tonight last nights was fun but messy lost more than I made tonight was well paced and moderately lucrative just did the easy transport missions while getting the hang of using the boards charging points etc and getting a feel for the different types of settlements there are out there. So far liking the atmosphere. Oddly one of the things I would look forward to in the (distant) future is more weather effects. Oh yes and a sit down. I dont particularly mind the taxis either some people see the travel as a time sink (which it is I guess) but in a space travel game I see it kind of as the game.

Gotta admit I am mightily frustrated having spent hours failing missions to finally succeed in gaining the objective (collect documents) just to be destroyed in the Apex shuttle while taking off to return to the mission giver. It seems base security weren't impressed with me breaking into their facility and the patrol ship blew me and the poor Apex pilot to smithereens as we took off. so frustrating but really fun and enthralling while figuring out how to achieve my goals.

Having played first (phase of) original Alpha (also), all seems to be working as indented.

Highly disappointed with the instancing. My big hope with this update was the fact it took so long to make. There had to be enough time to put in a better network stack, which would radically improve so many aspects of the game.

Highly disappointed with the instancing. My big hope with this update was the fact it took so long to make. There had to be enough time to put in a better network stack, which would radically improve so many aspects of the game.

Maybe this update is more about optimization and bug smashing, rather than making it all new?

There is something familiar in this compared to Alpha´s and Beta´s at the past years.

IT'S AN ALPHA! Stuff being broken is literally the point, and Frontier specifically came out the other day and said the optimization work has not been done yet, and the performance will be bad and to expect it to perform poorly in alpha.

Also some of your # items have already been fixed by the day 2 hotfix. And some of your other # items are obviously bugs that you, as an alpha tester should be reporting. This is an alpha test not an early access timeframe, you are being a tester, not a player.

But point is you're complaining that an alpha is an alpha...
IS IT REALLY??? THANK YOU FOR POINTING OUT HOW STUPID I MAY OR MAY NOT BE!!!

See, there's always someone who can shout louder.

I don't know what # items means. To me, a hashtag is an HTML bookmark that lets you link to a specific point in a page. Whatever it means on TwitFace or whatever is something I've never been able to fathom (not being a user of those platforms).

I'll take on board what you say about performance, but be aware that I've been around since the beginning and believe me, they'll forge ahead with whatever release date they have in mind whether it's ready and not.

...which it doesn't. Also, the mission requires me to extinguish any fires I find. Do I need to buy a fire extinguisher from somewhere?...
Put out the fire:
0.fire extinguisher is not needed
1. In the terminal, find the control console, put a mark on it.
2. We go to the label
3.use the cutter to the red panel
4.If necessary, then charge and activate

Top Bottom