Notice Mission Board Softlock

I suspect that the 'expensive and lengthy' part of this is why ED doesn't get 'properly' tested before release.
In order to test 'improperly' one must first actually test.

Nobody has asked for a bug-free releases. For the most part everyone understands it is neither reasonable nor feasible for any software to be perfect. 10 minutes of one guy playing though, would have uncovered a huge number of breaking changes in the initial update that should have never made it to a live server. This is not a case of improper, insufficient, or inadequate testing... it is simply a lack of testing. The result of which was completely foreseeable.

Add to that, defensive posturing by FD in response to a player base rightfully up in arms. The attitude on display by Frontier staff ("you've had soo much fun in this game since you paid for it one time a long, long time ago you dont' need to play now") is the cherry on top.

Fix your game, or don't FDev... because of the attitude I don't care. The fact the game was screwed by an update is 1% of the problem. Your handling of it is 99% of the issue, and why I personally will spend another dime on anything Frontier.

Is there a Frontier Jobs page? I'd like to apply I think. I'm a software developer, and I feel the Frontier environment would be a perfect fit. I've always wanted that job where my code doesn't have to be reviewed and pass test suites. I absolutely HATE knowing that if I have a bad week or something and write crappy code, I could actually lose my job for it.

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but the board still softlocks, at least in my case when I select an ongoing transport mission and the mission giver is not on screen. Can anybody else reproduce this? Has this been reported yet?

Open the board, select mission giver:

Scroll down the list until the NPC in question isn't visible anymore:

Click on the mission - board softlocks, only way to close it is to quit to menu or to desktop.

You know what would probably be helpful? If there was an easy way for me to confirm whether or not this only happens with transport missions without messing up my in-game progression. Something like a test server that is not tied to my character. A test server with a test station that has test NPCs available that offer all mission types. That way I would have no problem testing if this is tied to certain mission types that involve the depot mechanic.

It would also be helpful if you wouldn't need me to tell you or google what fire hydrants or cars look like if you want me to report a ** bug.

Frontier, we need to talk about this.

EDIT:
I can now confirm that this also happens when I try to turn in a transport mission.
Just tried this in the main mission board and it does the same thing.

The usual bodge to get out of it works, though: go to the Engineers page in your right hand panel and you can get out of the softlock from there. No need to log out.

This has not been fixed, the softlock still occurs when the mission giver is off-screen, see my bug report posted earlier in this thread and here.

I'm asking for an official reply as to why this wasn't fixed and why the patch notes state otherwise.

Is there a Frontier Jobs page? I'd like to apply I think. I'm a software developer, and I feel the Frontier environment would be a perfect fit. I've always wanted that job where my code doesn't have to be reviewed and pass test suites.
Right here: https://www.frontier.co.uk/careers

As long as you don't deploy dev code into live, you'd already be doing better than the current staff :rolleyes: re:

Thanks for spotting this (re appconfig changes) - it seems some options which only apply to an in-house debug build leaked into the released build.

Top Bottom