Measurements and Where to Find Them

😂😂😂 ... I am too late to this but I usually refer to the story how pirates hijacked the measurement system of the US (a 2 minute read and a small part of history, few people know about).

Also, if you use sth. else than the rest of the universe, no matter how easy it is for you to imagine, stay away from spacecraft … they tend to crash otherwise.

Changing the UI … well, seems to be a reasonable effect, but … these units / calculations are probably everywhere and not just relevant for the display. E.g., shield size in comparison to hull mass, range / power output of weapons. And probably a lot of other things. And if you forget this conversion in just one place, disaster is about to happen (as did with Mars Climate Orbiter, see link above).

So, you say it is easy to program (or at least I think this is what you are implying since you "just" want to edit some game files). But have you ever programmed sth. that is as complicated as ED and had NOT such a conversion (at least partially) in mind (like an easy peasy to program calculator)?
Seems like a waste of ressources (again: see the link to the Mars Climate Orbiter above).

Also seriously:?
[…] an acre is actually designed to be the most efficient area a man can work with a plough and an ox […]
I don't think spaceship pilots work in the fields. And if they do they probably will NOT use an ox to plough the field … have you ever done that? My first guess is no. So in how far does that relate to your "everyday experience" with these units?
Also the rest of your examples. One can easily find equal measures for SI units. 1 meter is about the length of a step … oh wait … I'm larger than 2 meter … that must be smaller steps than … or is a yard than different for every human … well, I want to buy some cloth from you … measured in length … let's use my yards … oh wait … you would prefer the "yards" of this child over there … and here it is again: the reason why the SI units got created in the first place.

😂😂😂 ... I am too late to this but I usually refer to the story how pirates hijacked the measurement system of the US (a 2 minute read and a small part of history, few people know about).

Also, if you use sth. else than the rest of the universe, no matter how easy it is for you to imagine, stay away from spacecraft … they tend to crash otherwise.

Changing the UI … well, seems to be a reasonable effect, but … these units / calculations are probably everywhere and not just relevant for the display. E.g., shield size in comparison to hull mass, range / power output of weapons. And probably a lot of other things. And if you forget this conversion in just one place, disaster is about to happen (as did with Mars Climate Orbiter, see link above).

So, you say it is easy to program (or at least I think this is what you are implying since you "just" want to edit some game files). But have you ever programmed sth. that is as complicated as ED and had NOT such a conversion (at least partially) in mind (like an easy peasy to program calculator)?
Seems like a waste of ressources (again: see the link to the Mars Climate Orbiter above).

Also seriously:?

I don't think spaceship pilots work in the fields. And if they do they probably will NOT use an ox to plough the field … have you ever done that? My first guess is no. So in how far does that relate to your "everyday experience" with these units?
Also the rest of your examples. One can easily find equal measures for SI units. 1 meter is about the length of a step … oh wait … I'm larger than 2 meter … that must be smaller steps than … or is a yard than different for every human … well, I want to buy some cloth from you … measured in length … let's use my yards … oh wait … you would prefer the "yards" of this child over there … and here it is again: the reason why the SI units got created in the first place.
Right... So you have not actually read the entire thread. Firstly, a metre is less than eleven tenths longer than a yard... Which in practical setting, such as estimating the distance to something, does not actually create that big of a difference unless we are getting into the realm of where we would naturally want to move over to larger measurements... Secondly, p*ss off with your ridiculous claims. All professions use standardised tools and measurements... All of them! This has been going on for longer than the Metric System. It does not matter if I am talking about yards or metres, you are going to get a tape out and measure that properly. Your idea that someone would just grab a random child and use them to measure out cloth is bloody stupid and strawman, and if you do not know that, then well done, you are amazing. Different states had different standards of measurement, which is something that people complained about... But that is not what you are talking about. You are implying that the entire system is adhoc all the time, which is a downright lie. If I am making myself something, say a bookstand or a bed, and I am likely going to just use my arm arm to measure things (I know that my forearm is about an el's length). If I am measuring something to sell to someone, I am going to make sure to use proper tools so I can avoid any accusations of being unfair.

As for programming... Again, you did not read the thread. I want to change it for aesthetic reasons... As in change the letters next to the numbers from 'km.' to 'mi.' You and others like you are unbelievably petty and downright... Idiotic. What is wrong with you that you must go into a thread asking a question regarding changing something for one person that would in no way affect you and that in no way attacks you and then have you feel the need to attack the very notion of other measurement systems being used? Seriously, have you ever heard of keeping your mouth shut when you do not have anything useful to contribute?

And as for NASA and its disasters... So bloody what? I am not demanding that everyone switch over to a new system... I am not demanding anyone switch in fact, unlike some of you. I am just asking for a basic aesthetic change... Are you going to start attacking people for changing their user interfaces from orange to blue? Or is it that you just feel a sense of overly strong fanatical devotion and pride in your measurements and that you can not stand the idea of space or anything else being in something besides that which you like? Because guess what? That makes you pathetic. If the game used Imperial measurements and someone was asking if they could alter it to look like Metric, I would not give a hoot! It is their desire and if it makes them happier, good for them.

Oh, and as for acres... Well done, the basis for a measurement that was established and defined a few hundred years ago is no longer as relevant to you... You are really a genius of argument. It totally invalidates the idea that the system is founded on basic everyday things, such as a man's stride, the area a person can work, the distance from your elbow to your hand, the size of your hand, and a man's wingspan when reeling in rope... Though, a funny thing... The proportions of an acre are just as efficient this year as they were yesteryear and a millenium before that. Be it a tractor or an ox and plough, a chain by a furlong happens to be a very good way to work land.

I see your list and I'll raise you the back of a 1950s British exercise book:

We had to learn many of these tables, although this version doesn't cover everything. I distinctly remember that -
5½ Yards = 1 Rod, Pole or Perch​
22 Yards = 1 Chain (the length of a cricket pitch)​
10 Chains = 1 Furlong​
80 Chains = 1 Mile​
We poor, innocent lambs, knew nothing of modular arithmetic, of course, but used it constantly in page after page of sums calculating money or length or weight or volume, where pence had to be converted to shillings using MOD 12 and any remainder converted to pounds using MOD 20 (that was after we dropped the 4 Farthings to a Penny rule); inches to feet with Mod 12, feet to yards with MOD 3, then yards to miles with MOD 1760. We just divided and worked on the remainder.
Fortunately, only auctioneers (and only high-class ones at that) needed to convert pounds into guineas by applying MOD 21 to £n x 20.
Difficulties were compounded when fractions of units were fed into the calculations: "A man digs half a Stone of potatoes from his garden. How much more does he need to have three-quarters of a hundredweight?"
It really was a monumental waste of time with a minimum of intellectual development. But then, we learned Latin to stimulate our minds.

Hear, hear.
Geeze!!! Not seen that table list since I was in Primary School in the UK.

Therefore, I can & do use both......the art is knowing which to use......& when.

Oh, that is true. I was thinking more of Americans when I said that.
Fun piece of trivia for you - when we decided we wanted more taxes out of the colonies the obvious target was the taxes on booze. The problem was that this would also increase the taxes at home and putting up the price of beer and whisky was going to fly like a brick with the local population. So they came up with an interesting solution that kept the tax rate the same in both places and yet still screwed more cash out of the colonies. Booze was taxed by the pint. They ruled that in the colonies a pint was now 16 ounces not 20. At home they continued to use the imperial pint.

Our brethren across the pond reacted to this about the same way as the government were afraid of the locals doing. Eventually, the ungrateful so-and-so's even kicked off a war over the taxes and had the poor grace to actually win it and become an independent nation.

After which they continued to give themselves short measure!

That probably says something quite profound about our American cousins but I'm not sure what.....

Fun piece of trivia for you - when we decided we wanted more taxes out of the colonies the obvious target was the taxes on booze. The problem was that this would also increase the taxes at home and putting up the price of beer and whisky was going to fly like a brick with the local population. So they came up with an interesting solution that kept the tax rate the same in both places and yet still screwed more cash out of the colonies. Booze was taxed by the pint. They ruled that in the colonies a pint was now 16 ounces not 20. At home they continued to use the imperial pint.

Our brethren across the pond reacted to this about the same way as the government were afraid of the locals doing. Eventually, the ungrateful so-and-so's even kicked off a war over the taxes and had the poor grace to actually win it and become an independent nation.

That probably says something quite profound about our American cousins but I'm not sure what.....
Another fun fact about taxes... The tax on tea actually lowered the price of tea in the colonies, as part of it was also allowing the British to dump their surplus tea into America... It was a weird time.

Last edited:

Because we are morons! And we refuse to give up the old ways because we like buying two sets of tools for everything. It's actually a conspiracy on a national scale, I'm sure of it!

Anyway, to the OP, I doubt you will ever get the option to change anything with the HUD. Folks have ask to be able to change the color sense the dawn of the game. FD has never done anything about it. Sorry.

I have the utmost respect for people getting along fine with the mess depicted below on the left side. But one cannot expect FD implementing such an overcomplicated system in their game. I mean, they already have hard work to do. I would deem them capable of doing this, IF they manage to publish Odyssey in time, but even then...

I have the utmost respect for people getting along fine with the mess depicted below on the left side. But one cannot expect FD implementing such an overcomplicated system in their game. I mean, they already have hard work to do. I would deem them capable of doing this, IF they manage to publish Odyssey in time, but even then...
You are not wrong. One could not expect, sense RGB seems to be an "over-complicated" system also.;)

The Federation is nothing but a corrupt and putrid corpse; we will be there to bury it.
The Federation is a corrupt and very rich still walking corpse, while the Empire is just the same pile of dung under a pretty facade. :D
Both belong buried in an unmarked grave and I wouldn't even bother digging two holes.

I prefer metric by the way, not only because I grew up using it, but because the calculations make sense.

Top Bottom