List of long standing (small) requests

Bit of a concern with regard to misrepresentation at the moment. It's presented as though these are things which are agreed upon.

As it stands there are indeed quite a lot of non-contentious things in the list, but there's some contentious ones in there. Some have been discussed a great many times (as I'm sure you're aware, OP).

You've spoke about the coding side of things, but for contentious issues, it's not just a matter of coding. The coding might be pretty simple. That's not the main barrier.

I think it'd be best to be up front about that and not try and pass contentious things off as though they're things which everyone has asked for and it's just a case of them not being implemented.

Might I therefore suggest separating the list into non-contentious ideas and contentious ideas. It'll keep things much cleaner all round.

The non-contentious ones (in terms of there being no objections which aren't development priority related) from the list (prior to any additions from post 35 onwards) are as far as I'm aware:

• Fuel Jettison: required especially by explorers when they need those extra 2-3 LY jump range not achievable because of fuel weight in the tanks
  • Launch Cancel Request: when you press by mistake Launch at the starport and during the platform movement you remember you forgot something (limpets, srv, whatever) and you don't want to go forth and back. It can also happens by mistake at Fleet Carriers and during a jump count-down could be a disaster if you're not able to dock again. Alternatively we should be able to request docking again without the distance restriction nor the need to leave the station.
  • Additional graphical identification marks for planets with biological and gelogical signal: additional identifications in the navigation panel and in the system map to localize these planets after the FSS scan without the need to note them down on paper (impossible in VR of course).
  • "Terraformable" identifcation in the FSS: in the FSS interface, on the planet information panel the "Terraformable" information is missing. It should be added as it is in the system map (thanks @Bigmaec)
  • People shadow movement in the control towers: add some shadow moving forth and back behind the control tower windows to give more life to starports.
  • Crew on board: add crew to the free seats in the cockpits (where available)
  • Improved Outfitting menu: add options to filter module types and save/load ship outfitting configurations.
  • Bugged Planets Rendering in the System Map: many times, opening the system map after the honk, some planets appear empty/without texture
  • HUD customization colours: being able to change the HUD colour theme. It is already possible through 3rd party tools but this has unfortunately unwanted effects on other graphical interfaces
  • Faster to way to restock items (limpets, powerplay items and so on): the click and hold to change quantity is sometime very slow. Many times it has been suggested to add the possibility to enter the numbers directly
  • Nicer way to manage material ignore lists: the ignore/stop ignoring item is limited to the left UI panel and available when materials are spawn. There should be an independent menu/display with all information filters shown at once where it is possible to manage them properly
  • Improved renderings for NPC pictures: Next Era maybe? (thanks @JohnRoberts for the last 4 entries)

Some of the items are non-contentious in the sense of there not being a negative aspect to them in game, but for which I'd personally not really want dev effort going on them over other things (unless it was minimal). That's a different discussion though.

Also, what are you actually looking to achieve with the thread, OP? Would you be happy if working on all this stuff was prioritised and other things, say, for example, atmospheric planets, were put to one side to do it? Would be worth thinking about, and making clear.

o7
Please don't make us on mobile laboriously compare one list to another, what do you consider the contentious ideas?

Please don't make us on mobile laboriously compare one list to another, what do you consider the contentious ideas?
Was intended more for the OP, and I thought it better to highlight the clean side of things rather than risk focus shifting on to discussing the more contentious ones.

For reference though, running through the list, you can count as contentious anything which:
  • changes how supercruise works
  • reduces the decision making a pilot has to do (can probably count anything which increases it as contentious too.)
  • makes the galaxy more involuntarily dangerous (or less so)
  • relies on changing the behaviour of in-game parties, in particular having them do stupid things
  • has received bad reactions from the community in the past

The supercruise one I'll just elaborate on briefly for info. Supercruise works in a certain way. Changing speeds or acceleration rates are actually fairly fundamental changes to the entire mechanic and will have a lot of other impact, much of it negative. It's been covered in many threads, so no point going over it all again here.

• night vision hud indicator similar to headlamp icon
  • added installation/megaship ownership available from the left panel (corrently you waste time fly there and drop to reveal the owner)
  • increased outfitting storage
  • modules sorting in outfitting

My 3 small tweaks - granted from a PS4 perspective - would be:

PIP Preset Mode: press and hold < ^ or > to store current settings for SYS, ENG and WEP as that preset (3 in total) which can then be recalled by a single press of that button when in preset mode. Press and hold \/ to switch between preset selection and normal assignment. Can then set up “fight”, “flight” and “SHIELDS!!” - or whatever 3 general scenarios you want to cover - that can be recalled with a single button rather than the current “dance of the pips” required to shuffle from 1,1,4 to 4,2,0 ... etc ...

Bookmarks “menu item” in the Navigation ship UI screen allowing plotting of courses to bookmarked locations WITHOUT having to open the Galaxy Map - and therefore not having to “leave the cockpit“ as it were.

Weapon Fire Mode for Firegroups so you can assign a Gimballed / Turretted weapon to fire as Fixed in one firegroup but normally in another, allowing for a quick way to work around the infinite amounts of chaff NPCs seem to pack ...

PIP Preset Mode: press and hold < ^ or > to store current settings for SYS, ENG and WEP as that preset (3 in total) which can then be recalled by a single press of that button when in preset mode. Press and hold \/ to switch between preset selection and normal assignment. Can then set up “fight”, “flight” and “SHIELDS!!” - or whatever 3 general scenarios you want to cover - that can be recalled with a single button rather than the current “dance of the pips” required to shuffle from 1,1,4 to 4,2,0 ... etc ...

Bookmarks “menu item” in the Navigation ship UI screen allowing plotting of courses to bookmarked locations WITHOUT having to open the Galaxy Map - and therefore not having to “leave the cockpit“ as it were.

Weapon Fire Mode for Firegroups so you can assign a Gimballed / Turretted weapon to fire as Fixed in one firegroup but normally in another, allowing for a quick way to work around the infinite amounts of chaff NPCs seem to pack ...
Those are both really great ideas. I particularly like the elegant solution to implementing customisable pip macros on consoles/VR.

Was intended more for the OP, and I thought it better to highlight the clean side of things rather than risk focus shifting on to discussing the more contentious ones.

For reference though, running through the list, you can count as contentious anything which:
  • changes how supercruise works
  • reduces the decision making a pilot has to do (can probably count anything which increases it as contentious too.)
  • makes the galaxy more involuntarily dangerous (or less so)
  • relies on changing the behaviour of in-game parties, in particular having them do stupid things
  • has received bad reactions from the community in the past

The supercruise one I'll just elaborate on briefly for info. Supercruise works in a certain way. Changing speeds or acceleration rates are actually fairly fundamental changes to the entire mechanic and will have a lot of other impact, much of it negative. It's been covered in many threads, so no point going over it all again here.
I appreciate that there's likely history I'm missing here as a player not old and wizened in the ways of the forum, and I appreciate your desire to avoid sparking conflict. That said, I have no idea about that history and it doesn't really make sense to me. Would you be willing to just state the points you find controversial, or say what number they are if you can't bring yourself to say it?

I'd like to add a very (!) old one of mine :

- NPCs : instead of visibly spawning everything from scratch (new Instances if alone), ensure Players entering inhabited Systems (SuperCruise) or inhabited Instances (i.e. Station or RES) always see a random, fully developed NPC Traffic picture instead

...basically make hopping into any inhabited System look what it looks like when you arrive and there's already another Player in the instance.
That tiny thing would remove one of the biggest immersion breakers (and highlighting the often very basic/lame spawn scripts) that's been with the Game since release.

the other obscure ones;

Unlock trader locations on the map

We have a beautiful filter on the map to find material traders yet, the galaxy map wont show them unless your within 50ly AND have visited them before... YET black markets can be filtered and shown without any restrictions

the black markets showing could be an Xbox bug... who knows but its the way it should be... otherwise... off to EDDB.io we go so its a pointless camouflage, the in game tools are there but we cant use them? its bonkers!

4c1LFgx.png

Its not just SSC

Small plasmas should exist in the game - why? - reasons.

Gimballed AX weapons

Plus C1 AX weapons, i mean come on its years since Thargoids landed and we haven't progressed weaponry yet?

Remove the HUD clutter

Why we need to know what system were jumping to, to be displayed 4 times is mind boggling (the 4th is upper right hand corner omitted from image!)

lyvtIag.png

Simplify the system map and colour code it

like this (but ignore the resolving one (old image) but just colour code them so we know where the signals are)

4WpVRq8.png

Along the navigation theme, update the radar..

NlINvtz.png

**colours only for illustration, can be any colour

CQC bots

for those quieter times especially on console

RbS9oUW.gif

Universal limpet controller, But a SLF style rather than disposable limpets.

i.e C3 limpet controller = 3 slots, C5 = 5 slots etc. and fill them like Printable SLFs rather than space junk limpets

Q9wafoE.png

Mining Huge QOL

colour the rocks, stop the squinting at monitors and TV's across the nation

aqxY7eH.png

Horse Holo me's

You know for horse people... maybe this is a less serious one...

IihLFCT.png

Finally.. The udder ship kit for the T-9

*the nipples could extend and act as landing gear...

3Yk0AMp.png

Last edited:
the other obscure ones;

We have a beautiful filter on the map to find material traders yet, the galaxy map wont show them unless your within 50ly AND have visited them before... YET black markets can be filtered and shown without any restrictions

the black markets showing could be an Xbox bug... who knows but its the way it should be... otherwise... off to EDDB.io we go so its a pointless camouflage, the in game tools are there but we cant use them? its bonkers!

4c1LFgx.png

Its not just SSC

Gimballed AX weapons

Plus C1 AX weapons, i mean come on its years since Thargoids landed and we haven't progressed weaponry yet?

Remove the HUD clutter

Why we need to know what system were jumping to, to be displayed 4 times is mind boggling (the 4th is upper right hand corner omitted from image!)

lyvtIag.png

like this (but ignore the resolving one (old image) but just colour code them so we know where the signals are)

4WpVRq8.png

NlINvtz.png

CQC bots

RbS9oUW.gif

i.e C3 limpet controller = 3 slots, C5 = 5 slots etc. and fill them like Printable SLFs rather than space junk limpets

Q9wafoE.png

Mining Huge QOL

aqxY7eH.png

Horse Holo me's

You know for horse people... maybe this is a less serious one...

IihLFCT.png

Finally.. The udder ship kit for the T-9

3Yk0AMp.png
I have to give you a like for your image editing :)

I only know one person who'd have the udder ship kit for the Type-9 ... the same person who has a cow-print skin for it (yes, he really does, it was a charity auction giveaway and a load of us threw money in the pot to out-bid him on it, just so we could give it to him :p )

Option to toggle motion star dust particles on/off.

For PS4 players: the ability to turn on the controller speaker and use as output for the COVAS and NPC comms chatter etc.

o7

Really like the PIPs reset idea! I know players can make macros with third party tools and assign them to keys, but we shouldn't have to do something this important via 3rd party.

Sharing a Galmap destination as a "nav link" via in-game messaging. Could be something as simple as: add a "copy" or "share" button to the context menu on Galmap (the one with select, plot route, etc.) so it can be pasted into a message. Inbox should recognise the nav link format and in addition to close/delete give the choice to open it in Galmap.

I love these ideas!! They should definitely look into these and I'm willing to necro this thread. :p

I also want to be able to pan the cameras around during outfitting, especially when a hardpoint or utility is selected. Just so I could see where the utility is placed.

I'm preparing this thread as a resume of some of the most common and long standing Small requests. Small doesn't necessarely mean easy in terms of game coding: we don't know the code so what we suppose to be easy it's maybe difficult on the coding side and vice-versa. So in this case Small means things that we would expect in small updates and not game changer or associated to new game mechanics.
  • Universal Limpet Controller: required to have a more flexible ship outfitting to interact with various random missions
  • Fix missing moons orbit lines in VR in the FSS interface: yes this bug is still there
  • Fuel Jettison: required especially by explorers when they need those extra 2-3 LY jump range not achievable because of fuel weight in the tanks
  • Launch Cancel Request: when you press by mistake Launch at the starport and during the platform movement you remember you forgot something (limpets, srv, whatever) and you don't want to go forth and back. It can also happens by mistake at Fleet Carriers and during a jump count-down could be a disaster if you're not able to dock again. Alternatively we should be able to request docking again without the distance restriction nor the need to leave the station.
  • Additional graphical identification marks for planets with biological and gelogical signal: additional identifications in the navigation panel and in the system map to localize these planets after the FSS scan without the need to note them down on paper (impossible in VR of course).
  • "Terraformable" identifcation in the FSS: in the FSS interface, on the planet information panel the "Terraformable" information is missing. It should be added as it is in the system map (thanks @Bigmaec)
  • People shadow movement in the control towers: add some shadow moving forth and back behind the control tower windows to give more life to starports.
  • Crew on board: add crew to the free seats in the cockpits (where available)
  • Improve supercruise acceleration leaving planets: many complained that it takes too much time to accelerate when leaving a planet and they avoid planet bases for this reason (it could be an engineering experimental effect as well)
  • Supercruise smoother transition: a smoother transition when approaching orbital starports and planet rings for example
  • More variations in hyperjump tunnel animation: it's always the same since years. There should be a larger number of these animations and these should randomly change at every jump.
  • Thargoids interactions: system with Thargoids Incursions or Invaded by them (Pleiades sector for example) should be more dangerous and the encounters shouldn't be optional. You should be properly equipped before venturing there. What remains optional is the choice to travel there, not the chance to meet them.
  • Targoids attack near stations in real time and during rescue operations: we know this is already possible as it was used during the Gnosis failed jump to the Cone Sector, but it was never reused later... why?!
  • More dangerous Black Holes: their current rating is "Harmless" when they should actually be at least "Deadly" (thanks @CMDR Nathan Atterlein).
  • Improved Outfitting menu: add options to filter module types and save/load ship outfitting configurations.
  • Bugged Planets Rendering in the System Map: many times, opening the system map after the honk, some planets appear empty/without texture
  • HUD customization colours: being able to change the HUD colour theme. It is already possible through 3rd party tools but this has unfortunately unwanted effects on other graphical interfaces
  • Faster to way to restock items (limpets, powerplay items and so on): the click and hold to change quantity is sometime very slow. Many times it has been suggested to add the possibility to enter the numbers directly
  • Nicer way to manage material ignore lists: the ignore/stop ignoring item is limited to the left UI panel and available when materials are spawn. There should be an independent menu/display with all information filters shown at once where it is possible to manage them properly
  • Improved renderings for NPC pictures: Next Era maybe? (thanks @JohnRoberts for the last 4 entries)
  • Small Seismic Charge Launcher: this request should be part of the Elite Forum Lore already! (credits to @Kenneth McGrew )
  • Type-7 and Imperial Clipper versions for Medium Landing Pad: both Imperial and Cargo Lakon ships lack of a medium ship and many share the opinion that this gap should be filled by the Type-7 and the Clipper. Less popular, but the same, applies for Saud Kruger ships, where the Orca could fill the missing medium size.
  • Galaxy map bookmark folders and/or custom colours: for a better organisation of large large numbers of bookmarks.
  • Add a ‘scanned’ flag to surface POI’s once scanned with the Composition Scanner: so you can keep track of those you've scanned.
  • Add bots or NPC ships sto CQC: often waiting time for other players are too long, in this case bots or NPC ships should be used to be able to play to CQC
  • Offer material rewards for CQC victories: self explaining
  • Multi crew support for SRV: one player flies the ship and another player drives the SRV, so that ground assault missions become true multi-player activities (credits to @nanite2000 for reminding the last 6points)

Not much to say, just giving my like and +1.

Maybe if we reach north of fifty FDev might notice...lol

Probably need a few thousand to actually get it fixed, plus a 7% interest rate per year on the age of each item.

Also, one small thing suggested elsewhere long ago: increase the distance from stations, when dropping from SC. Compensate the time loss by making SC travel a tiny bit faster (could be done by addressing the SC acceleration near planets mentioned here).

The longer approach time could be used for several gameplay purposes: pirates and bounty hunters could utilize it for attacking targets, smuggling stuff in would become more challenging (and should be better rewarded, accordingly!). I'm sure both players and FDev could think of more ways to make stations more interesting.

the other obscure ones;

4c1LFgx.png

Its not just SSC

Gimballed AX weapons

Remove the HUD clutter

lyvtIag.png

4WpVRq8.png

NlINvtz.png

CQC bots

RbS9oUW.gif

Q9wafoE.png

Mining Huge QOL

aqxY7eH.png
Great exploration and mining ideas, id also add some little exploration tweak:

Ability to open system or galaxy map directly from FSS , without need of closing it to being able to open map.

Top Bottom