Limpets must change!

The only alternatives are to remove the multitude of capabilities (Collectors only!), make both Controllers and Limpets AIO, or . . . forever leave it as-is, guaranteeing most Controller/Limpet types will effectively have been a total waste of dev time from day 1.

I wonder which we'll get? :unsure:

We'll get a limpet-programming mini-game that looks like Tetris designed by somebody who never played Tetris.

I just wished limpets could be reused if not destroyed. Makes no sense somehow to throw them away.
I really hate how they are insta-destroyed when collecting a targeted object. Not just that it doesn't make any sense, but it's also something new players stumble over when trying to go mining for example.

"Don't target objects you want to collect! You'll lose your limpets!"

Why do we have to give this kind of advice?
And why can't they just be called "drones"? Because "What's a limpet?!" is another question I frequently had to answer.

And yes. I want a limpet controller that can at least be configured to do two or three things as one module. Maybe with a toggle function or something.

One thing I wish-wish-wish? Pretty please? With a cherry on top? Is to unify limpets! Smart limpets. One controller controls any kind of limpets, but you must buy the corresponding limpets to suit your needs. If I need collector limpets? I restock my ammo with collectors, if I need decontimantion? For Xeno combat? I stock up on those limpets. If I need both collector and prospect? I buy however many I feel I’ll need for prospector and collector alike (two separate sets of inventory). But all able to be controlled by the same damn controller. Jack the prices up to 5-10 million a controller, if you need to., just as long as I can also use them to prospect or repair/ decontaminate etc. I think, by now? It’s common practice, when mining, to have 2-3 limpet controllers on hand. Some people use even more. But then we have to factor in Prospector limpets? It limits our inventory space and collector limpet quantity. It’s ridiculous, when using a Kraft II (for instance), that I should only have 64t of cargo space because I need at least 3 controllers and still use shields and a fuel scoop. We should only need 2-3 controller that can do it all, with the (effectively) “ammo” determining your capabilities. Let’s blue sky this one. In my Krait? I’d love to have only two c3 controllers (maximum of 2 limpets). I use one of them (either one) for launching the prospector type limpet, it interfaces and sends back data and I can now launch two additional collector limpets off of that same controller. Later, I gear up for scout combat. I stock up on decontamination limpets and use at least one of those same controllers! Heck to make it more exciting? I also stock up on a few research limpets for some good ol tissue sampling while I’m out. All operated on the same singe controller.

I wish you luck, this was asked for in focused feedback but that didn't get anywhere where the developers were supposedly listening to us.

Don't worry, in January 2018 the following was put on Frontier's TODO list:

"Design Limpet Controller Bay Module to prevent player having to use up too many slots in ship holding limpet controllers"

Source

Any day now! Let's just hope Steve Kirby didn't take that list with him when he left. 🤞

Universal limpet controller has been requested time and time again. Hopefully one day they can come up with something.

Maybe they can also explain how a Class 7A Limpet controller weighs 128T... What the hell is in there that requires that much weight to control 4 drones? And those 4 drones weight 1T each, AND have to waste precious cargo space (oh yeah, you need a cargo rack too)

My thoughts on it:

• Add Size 1-4 Universal Limpet Controllers. They weight 1T, 2T, 3T, 4T. The current controllers are unexplainably heavy for some reason.
  • Each controller can stock one limpet per size (1-4)
  • Limpets do not take up cargo space.
  • A maximum of 3 ULCs can be installed (so total 12 limpets)
  • Each limpet can be assigned a role (think like buying a fighter for a hangar bay)
  • Limpets are not destroyed upon use. They can be recalled.
  • They can be destroyed by other means, but can be reprinted/synthed.
  • Existing player's controllers could be replaced with the new system in a patch. Eg a Class 7 Collector Limpet Controller is replaced with a Class 4 ULC with 4 Collector Limpets.

Things the OP might not have considered:

1) Swapping ships.
Currently Limpets are cargo. They don't go with the ship like ammo. For those of us that often swap ships this would add to the nuisance. Especially if only certain stations sold various types of limpets. Or is the OP suggesting all stations sell all types of limpets? Anyway, unless limpets were treated like ammo I would really dislike OP idea.

2) Synthesis.
The OP did not mention synthesis would require a recipe for each type of limpet. No bigee, just a detail.

3) Ship Build & Balance
The various controllers require a player to make a choice. Similar to other aspects of ship build the player must decide what to include in ship build. Small ships have more limitations than big ships. Making choices is a significant aspect of ship build. The OP is asking for more standardization, less choice.

Similar question: why does a mining ship need a big refinery? It takes up space. Why not more cargo racks and refine the stuff at a station? Because cmdr is supposed to make decisions when building a ship.

Why do the limpet controllers require such size & space? Without knowing what it actually does I don't know. But its obviously not just a circuit board with an RF antennae. Apparently it physically modifies (or preps) a limpet making it capable of performing the required task.

Similar question: why does a mining ship need a big refinery? It takes up space. Why not more cargo racks and refine the stuff at a station? Because cmdr is supposed to make decisions when building a ship.
That is something Star Citizen does well - mine for ore, then you can refine it or sell it - if you choose to take it to a refinery you get a number of options with a different cost, time to refine the product and yield. After refining is complete, pick up your product to sell.
The key being it doesn't have to be a finished product to sell it!

My wish has always been that my Cobra Mk. 3 could be outfitted to interact, at least at the most basic level, with all the parts of the game. Just because the lore makes it feel that it should. :)

I understand the idea of trade-offs being a good thing, but in a game where RNG decides what you might run into, and travel takes time, it would be so nice to interact on the fly with the little scenarios someone took the time to program.

With a ULC, specific limpet types could be one way to keep the balance--I could put one of each in my Cobra, but would never be outfitted for serious work that way.

Or, a ULC could exist alongside specialized controllers, with serious disadvantages in terms of number of active limpets or range, etc.

Don't worry, in January 2018 the following was put on Frontier's TODO list:

"Design Limpet Controller Bay Module to prevent player having to use up too many slots in ship holding limpet controllers"

Source

Any day now! Let's just hope Steve Kirby didn't take that list with him when he left. 🤞
Nice! Hopefully Odyssey then!

My wish has always been that my Cobra Mk. 3 could be outfitted to interact, at least at the most basic level, with all the parts of the game. Just because the lore makes it feel that it should. :)

I understand the idea of trade-offs being a good thing, but in a game where RNG decides what you might run into, and travel takes time, it would be so nice to interact on the fly with the little scenarios someone took the time to program.

With a ULC, specific limpet types could be one way to keep the balance--I could put one of each in my Cobra, but would never be outfitted for serious work that way.

Or, a ULC could exist alongside specialized controllers, with serious disadvantages in terms of number of active limpets or range, etc.
No I’m pretty sure you’re thinking about the Python (God ship) LOL. The Python rakes in even more profit than even the largest of ships, on account it can dock at small docks and super cruise faster(?), is the best passenger hauler...and not to mention I’m pretty sure it’s the most maneuverable ship in the game, being as manueverable as a Cobra MKIII and easily out maneuvering the Viper MKIV, which handles like a Cutter. The Python is end game.
Meanwhile the Imperial Clipper is a Large class ship that holds significantly less cargo than the medium class Python.

That said? I’ve always felt the Cobra III was up there in terms of multiversatility though. It’s one of those ships that, once you finally do build that sweet Xeno Cutter, own a Type 9, and are rocking a sick Corvette build? You rediscover the Cobra and are re-reminded of just how fun it is. Out fit it with fully engineered shields and 2x PAs and it is hella fun. Even a good little explorer with a booster. It’s my favorite exploration vessel. And has a pretty sick stealth build capability, getting down to (if I recall) 14%(?) Thermal signature. Something pretty damn low.

That said? I’ve always felt the Cobra III was up there in terms of multiversatility though. It’s one of those ships that, once you finally do build that sweet Xeno Cutter, own a Type 9, and are rocking a sick Corvette build? You rediscover the Cobra and are re-reminded of just how fun it is. Out fit it with fully engineered shields and 2x PAs and it is hella fun. Even a good little explorer with a booster. It’s my favorite exploration vessel.
It's my favourite tin-can, full stop! I use mine for everything - cold enough to stay hidden; quick enough to run away; hard enough to take a hit; strong enough to take on most enemies; and big enough to make a tidy profit trading!
I run mine with 2 Cannons and 2 Rail-Guns, 4A Shields, a nice bit of Hull reinforcements, 2 size-4 Cargo racks and has enough room for an SRV bay, while still being able to fend off an Anaconda or FDL!

How often do you have Recon, Research, Repair and Decontamination Limpets at hand? When you're flying around with a cargo of limpets, can you drop in at various POIs and SSs confident your possibly hundreds of tons of limpets can even be used?

It's a shame that most limpet types may as well not exist because of how they're implemented.

Top Bottom