Limpets must change!

One thing I wish-wish-wish? Pretty please? With a cherry on top? Is to unify limpets! Smart limpets. One controller controls any kind of limpets, but you must buy the corresponding limpets to suit your needs. If I need collector limpets? I restock my ammo with collectors, if I need decontimantion? For Xeno combat? I stock up on those limpets. If I need both collector and prospect? I buy however many I feel I’ll need for prospector and collector alike (two separate sets of inventory). But all able to be controlled by the same damn controller. Jack the prices up to 5-10 million a controller, if you need to., just as long as I can also use them to prospect or repair/ decontaminate etc. I think, by now? It’s common practice, when mining, to have 2-3 limpet controllers on hand. Some people use even more. But then we have to factor in Prospector limpets? It limits our inventory space and collector limpet quantity. It’s ridiculous, when using a Kraft II (for instance), that I should only have 64t of cargo space because I need at least 3 controllers and still use shields and a fuel scoop. We should only need 2-3 controller that can do it all, with the (effectively) “ammo” determining your capabilities. Let’s blue sky this one. In my Krait? I’d love to have only two c3 controllers (maximum of 2 limpets). I use one of them (either one) for launching the prospector type limpet, it interfaces and sends back data and I can now launch two additional collector limpets off of that same controller. Later, I gear up for scout combat. I stock up on decontamination limpets and use at least one of those same controllers! Heck to make it more exciting? I also stock up on a few research limpets for some good ol tissue sampling while I’m out. All operated on the same singe controller.

Indeed its best not to post good suggestions in the suggestions forum because thats where all good/bad suggestions to to die.

Suggestions.
It is but I think a key aspect of OP's idea is actually terrible, specifically 'One controller controls any kind of limpets, but you must buy the corresponding limpets to suit your needs.'

Unless he's explained himself very badly he seems to be saying that he wants the limpet rather than the controller to determine function. I prefer limpets to be universal limpets as they are now because as long as I've say 100 cargo space I can put 100 limpets in my hold and I can choose what I do with them. Make that 50 collectors and 50 prospectors (for example) with a univeral controller and you're going to run out of one or the other before you want to, with the others sitting dead in your hold. Want to carry on mining? Tough, you're out of prospectors even though you still have 30 useless collectors sitting unused in your hold.

I'm not entirely clear what 'two separate sets of inventory' means in this context but if he's suggesting that if you could take 100 of each limpet type along in the above example, regardless of your overall cargo capacity, well no. What are they, magic like the detailed surface scanner probes?

Last edited:
Ummm. So you want to have to carry a bunch of different limpet types around instead of having one universal limpet type. Sounds like a dumb swop to me...

I know I'd rather have to bother with buying 3 different types of limpets in the restock screen and gain 2 open module slots, than buying 1 type of limpet at the cost of 2 module slots.

Just imagine; Recon, Repair, Research and other types of Limpets effectively existing in ED. Nuts! Would be cool.

I know I'd rather have to bother with buying 3 different types of limpets in the restock screen and gain 2 open module slots, than buying 1 type of limpet at the cost of 2 module slots.

Just imagine; Recon, Repair, Research and other types of Limpets effectively existing in ED. Nuts! Would be cool.
I don't like the multitude of different controllers either, but I don't want a multitude of limpets either.

What are they, magic like the detailed surface scanner probes?

They're magic enough to have all the tools to repair ships, mine, break open hatches, collect data, decontaminate crafts and transfer fuel with the right programming.

It's understandable that 1 ton disposable space bins on micro-thrusters are so multi-functional, but no one should be expecting 32 ton computers dedicated to controlling said marvels to be so complicated. That'd get darned tootin' close to breaking my immersion!!! :mad:

o7

I don't like the multitude of different controllers either, but I don't want a multitude of limpets either.

The only alternatives are to remove the multitude of capabilities (Collectors only!), make both Controllers and Limpets AIO, or . . . forever leave it as-is, guaranteeing most Controller/Limpet types will effectively have been a total waste of dev time from day 1.

I wonder which we'll get? :unsure:

It is but I think a key aspect of OP's idea is actually terrible, specifically 'One controller controls any kind of limpets, but you must buy the corresponding limpets to suit your needs.'

Unless he's explained himself very badly he seems to be saying that he wants the limpet rather than the controller to determine function. I prefer limpets to be universal limpets as they are now because as long as I've say 100 cargo space I can put 100 limpets in my hold and I can choose what I do with them. Make that 50 collectors and 50 prospectors (for example) with a univeral controller and you're going to run out of one or the other before you want to, with the others sitting dead in your hold. Want to carry on mining? Tough, you're out of prospectors even though you still have 30 useless collectors sitting unused in your hold.

I'm not entirely clear what 'two separate sets of inventory' means in this context but if he's suggesting that if you could take 100 of each limpet type along in the above example, regardless of your overall cargo capacity, well no. What are they, magic like the detailed surface scanner probes?

Thank god I only read the title then because that is a terrible suggestion.

Top Bottom