Let’s demand South American Animal pack!

I’ve never understood why anyone would assume that, Just because the South America (or Arctic, Australia, or now South East Asia) packs are done, that those regions will not be ‘revisited’ but it makes even less sense to me now that the aquatic pack has demonstrated that it is not true... Both South America and Arctic have already been revisited (Giant otter, Dearf Caimen and Grey Seal) and there is zero reason to think we won’t get more animals from these regions (or Australia) in the future.

That is exactly my point, if there were plans to introduced additional South American animals in the future, something that has already happened, and will most likely continue happening, then breaking it down into subcategories would have been more suitable for everyone involved. At the time considering that Frontier is usually quite about future plans, there was a lot of discontent. I remember even reading negative reviews about the dlc because of this, something that as you said was unnecessary.

That is exactly my point, if there were plans to introduced additional South American animals in the future, something that has already happened, and will most likely continue happening, then breaking it down into subcategories would have been more suitable for everyone involved. At the time considering that Frontier is usually quite about future plans, there was a lot of discontent. I remember even reading negative reviews about the dlc because of this, something that as you said was unnecessary.
Yes, I don't believe we'll get a 2.0 pack for every pack so far released (although i wouldn't mind brainstorming what that kinda DLC would have).

I think that eventually we may end up getting biome packs with different representatives of species/continents, maybe plants? (To be honest I never realized how important plants are until I waa playing yesterday and I couldn't find a new tree to use)

Like, here's a supposed Grasslands DLC (not official; only as an example):

1. Maned Wolf - S. America
2. Secretary Bird - Africa
3. Coyote - N. America
4. Greater Rhea - S. America
5. Olive Baboon - Africa
6. Emu - Oceania
7. Puma - N. America

See how much world variation by just using one biome? Of course, this wouldn't be for everyone amd some biomes would be harder than others, but I believe that this would be a great way to go

My list is:
  1. Capybara
  2. Harpy eagle
  3. Maned wolf
  4. Tamandua
  5. Macaw sp
  6. Red-bellied piranha (exhibition)
  7. Ecuadorian squirrel monkey or White-headed marmoset (They are the most common marmosets in captivity; and many zoos are dedicated to maintaining the species and its different breeds)
Saimiri_macrodon.jpg
Geoffroy's_Marmoset_1.jpg

Good point... though I don’t think I missed it because it’s not tropical but, rather, that it’s not endemic and certainly not representative of the continent in the way that other non tropical species (eg Rhea, vicuña, ets., etc., etc.) are.
I can explain one thing, South America and Central America have desert, plains and mountains, I understand that the best known is the Amazon or the tropical zone of South America but it makes me angry that you only want more tropical species because there are many animals that live In other habitats, my favorite deer is the taruca deer or the northern Andean deer, this species is very little known and I would like it to be in the game so that more people know it, apart from that I know much more about South American animals because I am Chilean and I know the species of my own country and those of others, I would like you to stop thinking that South America is only the Amazon and that animals such as the maned wolf, the Andean bear, the guanaco or vicuña and mainly the southern pudu be in the game and mainly that everyone knows the taruca deer

I understand that the best known is the Amazon or the tropical zone of South America but it makes me angry that you only want more tropical species because there are many animals that live In other habitats,
I think you have misunderstood what I said. Why do you think I only want tropical species? I have neither stated, nor implied this anywhere. I have not requested any species in this thread and it is totally untrue to suggest that I only want tropical species from South America.... I even note, in the quote you replied to, two animals (Rhea and vicuña) that are not tropical but are representative of South America.

Last edited:
I think you have misunderstood what I said. Why do you think I only want tropical species? I have neither stated, nor implied this anywhere. I have not requested any species in this thread and it is totally untrue to suggest that I only want tropical species from South America.... I even note, in the quote you replied to, two animals (Rhea and vicuña) that are not tropical but are representative of South America.
I'm sorry I don't mean you or everyone who knows that South America is not just the Amazon, but it makes me angry that many people believe that South America is just the Amazon and the Andes Mountains.

We already demanded a South American pack, and we got it! It just sucked and only had 4 animals...
That pack was likely planned out from the start. The game was lacking so many South American animals that it was clear Frontier was saving some for DLC. It was also before the Animal packs became an actual thing (likely also planned, but I have a feeling they came earlier due to demand). That, bundled with the Aquatic Pack handing us 2 additional SA animals (otter & caiman) mean that more South American animals are entirely possible, should Frontier decide to indulge the fans some more.

That pack was likely planned out from the start. The game was lacking so many South American animals that it was clear Frontier was saving some for DLC. It was also before the Animal packs became an actual thing (likely also planned, but I have a feeling they came earlier due to demand). That, bundled with the Aquatic Pack handing us 2 additional SA animals (otter & caiman) mean that more South American animals are entirely possible, should Frontier decide to indulge the fans some more.
Agree, I don't think we can look at that SA pack and say that was done due to demand. More like, they created the demand due to the absence of so many animals. Not that I think they removed from from the base game or anything, but I think all of the first 4 packs were planned out by the time the the game launched in November 2019. Just like Australia, it was pretty obvious it was going to happen fairly soon.

Agree, I don't think we can look at that SA pack and say that was done due to demand. More like, they created the demand due to the absence of so many animals. Not that I think they removed from from the base game or anything, but I think all of the first 4 packs were planned out by the time the the game launched in November 2019. Just like Australia, it was pretty obvious it was going to happen fairly soon.

Yeah definitely, all of it was planned from the beginning really. It is not a secret, is there for anyone to see. Some of the animals that were part of the DLC show up in Artstation as 2019 work, so more than likely the first pack they did any work for post release might have been the Australian DLC, keyword MIGHT very possible that some of the assets in that pack were created alongside the base game as well. In contrast, the SEA animal pack assets shown there are labeled as 2021.

Yeah definitely, all of it was planned from the beginning really. It is not a secret, is there for anyone to see. Some of the animals that were part of the DLC show up in Artstation as 2019 work, so more than likely the first pack they did any work for post release might have been the Australian DLC, keyword MIGHT very possible that some of the assets in that pack were created alongside the base game as well. In contrast, the SEA animal pack assets shown there are labeled as 2021.
Like African rhino was shown many times in different artworks and in in-game signs and still didn’t end up in a base game. I think that there are certain animals that were made along with the base game like African rihinos, Moose and leopards. They’ve just decided to leave them for the DLC’s to keep downloadable content desirable.

Last edited:
Like African rhino was shown many times in different artworks and in in-game signs and still didn’t end up in a base game. I think that there are certain animals that were made along with the base game like African rihinos, Moose and leopards. They’ve just decided to leave them for the DLC’s to keep downloadable content desirable.
Which is, to me, so odd, because in the end we actually lost content because of it. If the iconic species - say, the polar bear, jaguar, red kangaroo, and koala - had been included in the base game, then that's four DLC slots that could have been filled with other species (e.g. the Arctic fox, capybara, Tasmanian devil, emu, or whatever). I get the logic - they want to hold back some big-name animals for DLC - but realistically it wasn't very ambitious.

I agree definitely a odd way of doing the dlc holding back the big name animals. To me the dlc would have still sold just as easy. While I definitely want some more SA animals capybara, howlers, sloths, ect. I’m probably one of the few people looking more forward a NA pack as animals like the moose, wolverine, and cougar although also a SA animal are higher on my personal request list. But yeah for the game to not even include sloths which have been in every zoo I’ve been to would be disappointing.

I agree definitely a odd way of doing the dlc holding back the big name animals. To me the dlc would have still sold just as easy. While I definitely want some more SA animals capybara, howlers, sloths, ect. I’m probably one of the few people looking more forward a NA pack as animals like the moose, wolverine, and cougar although also a SA animal are higher on my personal request list. But yeah for the game to not even include sloths which have been in every zoo I’ve been to would be disappointing.
Honestly I'm mostly excited about this prospective Africa Pack that got "leaked". Without discussing the actual content, it includes two animals I've desperately wanted since launch. I've even decided not to buy the SEA Pack until it drops and maybe get both as a bundle or something.

I agree definitely a odd way of doing the dlc holding back the big name animals. To me the dlc would have still sold just as easy.
To you and me, and probably most of us engaged enough to post on these forums, sure. I'll probably purchase every bit of DLC that releases for this game. But for the more casual player, or someone picking the game up a year from now, I think Frontier took the right financial approach. If little Timmy or Joe casual decides to buy the game and looks at the DLC thinking they might grab one, which scenario gets Frontier the added sale? "I've gotta pay for penguins and seals, so here's $10 more", or "what the heck is a tamandua and a curassow? I'm fine with just the base game."

Please note that I'm actually a huge tamandua fan in particular and just threw those out there as examples! But the bottom line is iconic animals generate DLC sales that otherwise wouldn't have happened.

To you and me, and probably most of us engaged enough to post on these forums, sure. I'll probably purchase every bit of DLC that releases for this game. But for the more casual player, or someone picking the game up a year from now, I think Frontier took the right financial approach. If little Timmy or Joe casual decides to buy the game and looks at the DLC thinking they might grab one, which scenario gets Frontier the added sale? "I've gotta pay for penguins and seals, so here's $10 more", or "what the heck is a tamandua and a curassow? I'm fine with just the base game."

Please note that I'm actually a huge tamandua fan in particular and just threw those out there as examples! But the bottom line is iconic animals generate DLC sales that otherwise wouldn't have happened.
I will say that the tamandua and curassow are probably two of the most niche animals you could pick, though.

For example, if the base game had included the polar bear and Arctic wolf, you could have added the well-known Arctic fox and wolverine to the Arctic Pack. Likewise, if the jaguar and white-faced capuchin had been included, then the capybara and black howler monkey aren't exactly 'niche' to the same degree as the tamandua.

I will say that the tamandua and curassow are probably two of the most niche animals you could pick, though.

For example, if the base game had included the polar bear and Arctic wolf, you could have added the well-known Arctic fox and wolverine to the Arctic Pack. Likewise, if the jaguar and white-faced capuchin had been included, then the capybara and black howler monkey aren't exactly 'niche' to the same degree as the tamandua.
At the expense of what, though? We can say certain things should've been in the base game, but it's meaningless unless you're also proposing what they could've replaced. Dev time and resources were finite, and I imagine that they included exactly as many animals as they could've gotten away with. They couldn't have just squeezed a polar bear in without excluding something else just as effortful. And I also strongly disagree that a wolverine would sell as many DLC packs as a polar bear, they're in completely different leagues. Same for the jaguar vs capybara (this one is particularly compounded by Frontier's "tactical" exclusion of the arguably comparable leopard as well).

At the expense of what, though? We can say certain things should've been in the base game, but it's meaningless unless you're also proposing what they could've replaced. Dev time and resources were finite, and I imagine that they included exactly as many animals as they could've gotten away with. They couldn't have just squeezed a polar bear in without excluding something else just as effortful. And I also strongly disagree that a wolverine would sell as many DLC packs as a polar bear, they're in completely different leagues. Same for the jaguar vs capybara (this one is particularly compounded by Frontier's "tactical" exclusion of the arguably comparable leopard as well).
Well, at the expense of, say, the Himalayan brown bear, or one of the giant tortoises.

Edit: In any case, it's not about what should have been in the base game, but about what could have been in the base game. I also don't think the time or resources are really important - it's pretty clear that at least the Arctic Pack assets were ready to go as of the base game release, or at the very least they were almost done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom