ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Beta Announcement

Here's an option I'd like to see added at some point, the ability to open the FSS while in supercruise (any speed) and see the graph. Not zooming to planets and such, but at least having a way to quickly see what the system holds in a quick look without having to stop. (I know, I know, it's been brought up many times before... I'm squeaking the wheels here.)

Given the way it works already:
  • Some bodies scan instantly with no POIs
  • Some bodies scan in 2-3 seconds with no POIs
  • Some bodies take 20-30 seconds with POIs
I think that's all down to performance of your vid card. I am visiting a friend at the moment and plugged into his spare monitor to run from my laptop, the laptop detected the monitor and set the FPS at 60 rather than 144 which I normally use, making scanning with POI's take around 40 seconds and some bodies with no POI's take a second or so. When I realised this I changed turned vsync off giving me around 300 FPS in the FSS, now all bodies with no POI finish instantly, so I think they all take time, even the ones without POI's, and how long it takes depends on the complexity of the body in question, it's just if your vid card is high enough performance we simply don't notice the time for the ones with no POI because it is so short.

I think that's all down to performance of your vid card. I am visiting a friend at the moment and plugged into his spare monitor to run from my laptop, the laptop detected the monitor and set the FPS at 60 rather than 144 which I normally use, making scanning with POI's take around 40 seconds and some bodies with no POI's take a second or so. When I realised this I changed turned vsync off giving me around 300 FPS in the FSS, now all bodies with no POI finish instantly, so I think they all take time, even the ones without POI's, and how long it takes depends on the complexity of the body in question, it's just if your vid card is high enough performance we simply don't notice the time for the ones with no POI because it is so short.
Yep. A good while back now, I did timings (as in actually using the stopwatch function on my phone :D ) of how long things took for good amount of different planets. The gift of onboard graphics means longer times and made it very easy to differentiate between what's going on with different types of bodies and work out roughly what's going on overall.

Yep. A good while back now, I did timings (as in actually using the stopwatch function on my phone :D ) of how long things took for good amount of different planets. The gift of onboard graphics means longer times and made it very easy to differentiate between what's going on with different types of bodies and work out roughly what's going on overall.
I suspect not having vulcanism makes the calculations a lot simpler. FDEV did comment a while back that planet surfaces weren't just contiguous planes but actually had faults and areas of different mineral content calculated by the stellar forge. We can assume I think that for most bodies without vulcanism that means a solid core of rock, no need to calculate fractures and areas of thin crust to decide where vulcanism should go so calculations are much shorter.

Now all this does lead me to think of the future, what happens when more types of bodies come available to land on, what extra calculation for an ELW with a variety of bio life. What happens with hell planets half covered in molten lava or ice moons with subsurface lakes etc. If we have all this controversy over a few simple geo and bio sites what does the future hold for much more complex bodies, indeed bodies that are a many thousands of times more complex than the ones we are currently dealing with?

Now all this does lead me to think of the future, what happens when more types of bodies come available to land on, what extra calculation for an ELW with a variety of bio life. What happens with hell planets half covered in molten lava or ice moons with subsurface lakes etc. If we have all this controversy over a few simple geo and bio sites what does the future hold for much more complex bodies, indeed bodies that are a many thousands of times more complex than the ones we are currently dealing with?
Secret Frontier Plan: delay Space Legs until the video cards can handle it.
Secret Frontier Alternative Plan: Buy shares in a manufacturer of GPU accelerator cards.

I suspect not having vulcanism makes the calculations a lot simpler. FDEV did comment a while back that planet surfaces weren't just contiguous planes but actually had faults and areas of different mineral content calculated by the stellar forge. We can assume I think that for most bodies without vulcanism that means a solid core of rock, no need to calculate fractures and areas of thin crust to decide where vulcanism should go so calculations are much shorter.

First thought is that future might hold a big increase in the minimum recommended hardware to run the game.

Ok, so then logically the masking of other types of POI because of the delay in the geo / bios represents a problem. Yes/no?

Lots of things aren't shown in the System Map. Prior to 3.3, the only way to find some things was fully searching planets using the MK 1 eyeball, (i.e. flying over the entire surface at a couple of km height) as they did not show on any scanners whatsoever. Do you know where to find all of those things?

Maybe you're not interested in those things and are only interested in the particular set of things you know how to find?

I don't think I correctly understand what you're saying here. The first bit seems to say you're not interested in seeing some things, whereas the second bit seems to say that it's better if you do see them. I guess that's not what you mean, but I'm not sure what you do mean.

Ok, so it's not something you see as an issue for you. That's fine. However that's a pretty poor criteria for determining whether time and resources should be spent on the issue.
no, I said that the delay also happens to me, and I do not see it as a problem, since it is assumed that if you are exploring, everything is quieter / slower. If you want to find a tree or a crystal, you simply look at it in the codex and travel. For ship wrecks, bases and others, there are quite a few external tools. And I repeat, experiencing the same as everyone else, I don't consider it a problem. I see it a logical time ,considering that you go to scan is not a supermarket product, it is a planet with thousands of kilometers of land millions of kilometers away. Seems you ignored this point.
Like everyone else, I have my own interests in elite, but I don't doubt that I like to see and try everything.

Edited: I was also before 3.3, when you had to fly over the planets. Now you have the DSS, it's there for something.

Last edited:
@Stephen Benedetti If we earn ARX from activities in the beta, will they be wiped like everything else?

If we can't keep them I'm going to need a few days to collect my 400 while NOT doing any beta testing.

@Stephen Benedetti If we earn ARX from activities in the beta, will they be wiped like everything else?

If we can't keep them I'm going to need a few days to collect my 400 while NOT doing any beta testing.
ARX
  • ARX will be disabled for the duration of the open beta - balances will be zeroed, and no ARX will be gained for in game actions. Links to the ARX store (where players purchase packs) will also be disabled. Note: this not affect the live build.

Cheers for the link to the OP I already read for myself! ;)

I guess the grammatically incoherent "Note: this is not affect the live build." means less time for testing.

[Edit: Maybe I should have posted this silly question in the other thread, lol :p]

Last edited:
Hmmm, 27th, 12:38 game time... But I cannot see the beta in the louncher yet. Tried looking for updates, tried restarting steam... Even if I go to ED Properties -> Betas, there is no beta available there either.

Has it been released yet or am I just too early?

Hmmm, 27th, 12:38 game time... But I cannot see the beta in the louncher yet. Tried looking for updates, tried restarting steam... Even if I go to ED Properties -> Betas, there is no beta available there either.

14:30 UTC - about 1 hour 45 minutes from time of posting here :)

Pardon my giggles. It's a Birmingham thing...

The (free) old-age bus pass gives half-price travel, but only outside peak times. Peak times end at 9am, and little old ladies tend to get up at dawn to do their shopping.

These ladies are known by the bus drivers as "twirlies" because they gather around the bus stops at around 8:30 and when the bus opens its doors they ask plaintively "Am I tw'early?"

Yeah, exactly. :D Couldn't find the comment, but did double check against the Generating a Galaxy stream and Geological/Tectonic Activity is there as it's own line in the list of things done as part of the general procedural generation process. (Posted it here for reference). I think ultimately it's a fairly simple principle - simulating a planet which is active is always going to be more complex than one's that inactive.

Yeah, indeed.

Slightly OT, but this kind of stuff can be expected to be a major factor effecting the development of atmos landings. The procedural generation has to spin up the same thing at the same point at the same time for everyone, with the flow of time simulated within that. The complexity of that will go up in orders of magnitude as what needs to be taken into account gets more complicated. There's a fairly predictable sequence for the order of those complexity increases for lifeless worlds. Once life gets involved though things are going to get a major jump in complexity.

Back on topic, removing the dependency on full planet generation for POI indication might actually be something that is going to be much more necessary for the future. On one side of it there's the increases in time needed for full planet generation for things like the Geo POIs (where we can expect the numbers of sites per body to remain similar to what we already see), but on another much more practical side, there's the question of what will constitute a POI on atmos bodies? Rivers, lakes, herds of animals, and so on and so forth? And if so, how many hundreds or thousands would there be on a body? All told, taking an indicative approach for 'natural' POIs might actually be a better longer term approach.

There will be people out in the black. In fact there's a good chance I'm 1,600 ly out. (I don't fly far; plenty of fun stuff close in.)
Unscanned systems start about 800ly out and by 1,500 ly they're almost all unscanned unless you're on a line to a nebula, Sag A* etc.
If they snapshotted my main CMDR a few days ago he was still outside the bubble. I want to take him out to an area that I explored with an alt CMDR a while back, where I documented what bodies have bio+geo locations (though not geo alone, unfortunately). That should make it relatively easy to test the proposed system.

But five days really isn't enough time to do a thorough job, especially with the BGS changes where changes appear only on the daily tick.

We also wanted to give you an update on the following issue: VR: Double Vision and Incorrect Rendering on HMDs with Non-Parallel Displays (ex. Pimax). At the current time, there are no plans to provide support for new HMDs outside the officially supported systems and platforms. The officially supported platforms are Valve Index, HTC Vive and Oculus.
I have to admit that I am quite disappointed by this news.

Where Frontier is taking its time to address pretty much exclusively current shortcomings leaving us waiting for any substantial new features & content for (yet another) year, this would have been the time to address such request. While I understand that Pimax users are still a niche within the niche of VR (though that will have grown to form a rather formidable 'niche' within the ED user base in the meantime), I think show-casing ED in a Pimax is as good as the game can be experienced, and canted displays will become the norm for future headsets offering a wider field of view.

It would have been great if ED, after all a pioneer & pinnacle of games with VR support, would have shown some avantgarde spirit and taken the game to new heights.

I am currently hanging out on the other side of the galaxy, planning to claw my way back to the bubble until substantial new content releases, which gives me roughly another year to do so. Seeing a chance to do so with a high supersampling ratio in my Pimax headset would have provided some extra motivation during an extended stretch of 'nothing to see here' in terms of pushing the game to the next level, or at least noticeably advancing the experience.

I guess I will be extending my time-out then and have another look come spring or summer 2020.

It seems that Frontier is focussing on other brands, perhaps understandably because this is a game sold to me years ago, and any current efforts on the game may be considered wasted money and the fact that they will charge us for the next season perhaps doesn't justify any greater expenses on an old game.

I just had hoped that Frontier would keep treating ED like an ongoing project while it seems that that approach is slowly dwindling, they are just trying to be polite while reducing the scale of their efforts year over year. After next year's new season we may never see another new season again. I just hope some other game will pick it up if Frontier let it go, I love the concept and idea. Not sure that Star Citizen will ever make a jump to VR though as it seems a slightly out-of-control project with too many layers of complexity already, so let's hope some other surprise game is already wokring its way to the surface to bring us to the next level and adopt the lost souls of ED commanders... inlcuding full VR support for all high-end VR headsets, as one of many points...

BETA forums up yet? I know we have 15 min to the release.. but have not seen the forums yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom