Is your ship vulnerable to attack after you dismiss it?

It's safe while dismissed.

However, if your SRV blows up you'll end up back in your ship in orbit and will be vulnerable, so don't go AFK for a long time thinking your ship is safe.

To be pedantic, your ship IS (or, at least, was) vulnerable immediately after you dismiss it, until it disappears off your scanner.

An old "griefing" trick used to be to sit on top of a parked ship so that, if the owner dismissed it, it couldn't gain altitude and then could be exploded.
Haven't seen that done for a while.
Not sure if it's 'cos it can't happen any more or if "griefers" just don't have the imagination these days.

While it's "in orbit", though, it ceases to exist.

It's safe ..... until it returns. There have been cases of the ship returning and exploding, but I'm not sure if that was before bugs were fixed and all is safe now.

If you leave your ship on the surface with low settings on the ENG and SYS (say 2 pips each) and the remainder on WEP, there's a risk it doesn't get away from a High G planet before it overheats (Depending on engineering and ship, of course).

They still haven't fixed high G planet AI? I want to leave my god damn ship landed on surface, why the hell does it have to leave itself after certain time?

If you leave your ship on the surface with low settings on the ENG and SYS (say 2 pips each) and the remainder on WEP, there's a risk it doesn't get away from a High G planet before it overheats (Depending on engineering and ship, of course).
Pips and power-management are a can of worms when it comes to dismissing/recalling your ship.

Basically, when you dismiss a ship it'll just magically fly up "into orbit".
When you recall it, however, it flies according to all the pip & power settings - which can mean it'll overheat or just fall out of the sky if there isn't enough juice to power the thrusters.

Most common example of this is if you've got an exploration ship with a teensy PP that doesn't have enough juice to power the thrusters and the SRV bay.
You land, your thrusters shut down, you enable the SRV bay, head out in the SRV and your ship will take off and enter orbit.
When you recall it, your ship will arrive and then it'll realise the SRV bay is enabled - according to your last power-management settings - and, thus, there's not enough power for the thrusters.
Shortly afterwards, there'll be an explosion and a crater.

When you're building an exploration ship (or any ship that you intend to operate an SRV out of), don't skimp on the size of PP you fit.

An old "griefing" trick used to be to sit on top of a parked ship so that, if the owner dismissed it, it couldn't gain altitude and then could be exploded.
Haven't seen that done for a while.
Not sure if it's 'cos it can't happen any more or if "griefers" just don't have the imagination these days.
I doubt it's worked for a while, though with frag cannons it doesn't really need to.

About ten people sat their ships on someone's T-9 on an expedition four years ago to see what would happen, and it just shoved them out of the way on the way up, in a way that it wouldn't have been able to do in normal flight.

I meant distance. Thanks for you pointless post. Instead of nitpicking my mistake, how about providing solution instead instead of just pointing out distance instead of time.
Don't worry, you're also wrong for other reasons, as Stealthie points out in his explanation. Though if you're railing against "pointless posts" you should really look no further than your own, which offer nothing but complaining and misinformation.

Nitpicking would have been going after your incorrect grammar.

Don't worry, you're also wrong for other reasons, as Stealthie points out in his explanation. Though if you're railing against "pointless posts" you should really look no further than your own, which offer nothing but complaining and misinformation.

Nitpicking would have been going after your incorrect grammar.
My grammar is usually fine-ish, my bad eyesight usually does the rest of not seeing my typos. I still didn't get the "other" reasons I apparently got wrong. Very helpful post 10/10 would read again.
My theory is that if you drive away, your ship will lift off after some distance from the ship.

My grammar is usually fine-ish, my bad eyesight usually does the rest of not seeing my typos. I still didn't get the "other" reasons I apparently got wrong. Very helpful post 10/10 would read again.
My theory is that if you drive away, your ship will lift off after some distance from the ship.
Imagine if you had read the thread, you might actually know how it works. Oh well.

Top Bottom