Is core mining broke

I believe that core mining is in need of some upgrading. 1. When you plant the explosive charges, you watch the bar graff. if the bar is yellow and lots of blue squares, it will not fully blow apart, if you plant additional charges, where in you get some red squares, it destroys most of the yield with only 2 or 3 chunks. So is it broke or am I doing something wrong?

2. I went through 20 limpets just to mine one asteroid, they get confused, lost, and run around in circles. I selected a limpet to watch its journey, it landed on a chunk and just sat there shaking like it was stuck. then it fails. Also if a limpet retrieves a chunk, and returns to deposit it, then it fails.

So anyone have some suggestions?

I've given up on core mining for know, SSD is much better.

I'm going to watch this thread with interest as I've had a similar experience with core mining. I always put the amount of charge required for each fissure (as the fissure will tell you how strong it is) but I have the same issue with the graph as described by the OP. If I put what looks like the right amount in the graph it never blows. Only putting it into the red will give me an explosion. My suspicion is it has to do with which fissures I place charges in? or perhaps I need to put slightly less charge in each but more charges? On the other hand it may actually be broken as the OP says. I've managed to get like 13 chunks sometimes but it still tells me I blew up too much and the graph was in the red.

Limpets are dumb. Sometimes they try to get to elements that they can't physically get to and die, sometimes they crash into asteroids or your ship and die. It happens, and they're expendable. I don't think there's much you can do about that side of things.

When your graph is mostly orange, stick a weak charge in a strong or average fissure.
If you set each charge according to the listed strength of the fissure, you’ll probably go into the red. If you do go over, disarm the charge. And put a weaker one into a remaining fissure.
Sometimes takes a bit of juggling, but it’s fun!

There's a small blue Text line that'll read something like "Optimum yield" when you're golden on the Seismic Charges.

(there's also a bug that will cause an erroneous Message "Yield too high - poor yield" at the very moment of Asteroid Explosion - but AFAIK that's just a display issue, you'll still get good fragments)

Other than that, there's some golden rules to keep your Collectors alive :
  • if feasible, crack the Asteroid without active Limpets; fire them after you shot off all Deposits with the Abrasion Laser (that ensures all Asteroid pieces are stable in their terminal position and the distance between Asteroid pieces has reached its maximum)
  • with Collectors active, avoid moving the Ship! Collectors from the moment of picking up a fragment will lose all Collision Avoidance, as sync with own Ship Motion takes priority with them. Moving the Ship all around a cracked Asteroid while active Collectors are there is guaranteed to kill most of them - again and again
  • some fragments (despite all caution) will end up killing a Collector. Either a Fragment is exactly behind a larger Asteroid Piece, which screws up Collector path finding or b) additionally a Collector after picking up a fragment will always perform a (unneeded) rectangular motion for about ~50-75m. That useless motion can easily drive the Limpet into the Asteroid. One way to help them (i.e. a final fragment is causing issues) is to use the own Ship Motion to cause the Collector to instantly move away from the Asteroid after pickup.

However, there's still often a fragment that a Collector Limpet managed to drive into an Asteroid Piece.
Depending on position inside, Asteroid piece size and motion... it might not be recoverable and will cause all and any Collectors to fail until the Fragment expires.
If such a condition is detected, it's best to abandon it and quickly move the Ship away from it, so Collectors stop heading there to suicide/timeout.

I have had some work normally and some will show in the blue only to pop up to all red just before the detonation.
I think the later was behavior described by the cat above. Erroneous showing of "too high".

Core mining is borked indeed. Simply put, you can't over charge anymore. Visually you can, but the yield is just the same, always between 9 and 14 fragments, no matter what the bars tell you.

No issues with core mining, working just fine. My typical yields are 14 tons per asteroid, including the surface deposits. Typically five asteroids fills my smaller, 64+(6) ton cargo miners.

There is some technique to setting the optimum charge. Back off on the charge strength as the graph approaches the blue zone. Look for the blue “Optimum Charge” message under the graph. If you overcharge and still have time, as stated in an earlier post, disarm a charge and plant another, slightly weaker one In a fresh fissure.

Collector limpets are dumb as nails. Try to position yourself so they have a clear path between you and the fragments. I’ve had several suicide one right after another trying to get the same fragment that was stuck in a crack or sitting directly against a wall. I’ll try to blast the fragment clear. If I can’t shake it free, I’ll move to the other side of the fragment cloud before launching any more limpets since they go for the closest fragments first. Or even manually scoop the fragments rather than waste more limpets.

Remember, don’t target individual fragments! If a limpet retrieves a targeted fragment, it will destroy itself after depositing the fragment in your cargo hold.

Last edited:
there's also a bug that will cause an erroneous Message "Yield too high - poor yield" at the very moment of Asteroid Explosion - but AFAIK that's just a display issue, you'll still get good fragments
Ok, I'm glad that's a bug. I was worried I was doing it wrong after it said that.

There is some technique to setting the optimum charge. Back off on the charge strength as the graph approaches the blue zone. Look for the blue “Optimum Charge” message under the graph. If you overcharge and still have time, as stated in an earlier post, disarm a charge and plant another, slightly weaker one In a fresh fissure.
Ok, worth a try. By this stage I'm usually panicking as the charges are about to blow.

Just another question about this. Does it matter which particular fissures you put charges into? or does it make no difference whatsoever as long as you have the charge strengths set right?

It says "optimal" on the graph when youre in the zone.

But it's still a bit broken just not for those reasons. The limpets are getting decimated because multiple fragments are clipping into rocks and staying there. It was always an issue that one fragment now and then would end up in a rock, but now I've had as many as 5 in a rock at the same time.

Another problem is that the fragments can end up 3.5km from the explosion, all in a tight group, and unless you're looking around, you won't find them.

I don't know if they are on the move or there's some odd instancing but I've stopped core mining. Even SSD mining has issues, missiles predetonating at my ship, being center target on the graph and still getting a failure... that kind of thing. But it's at least lucrative.

I always put 2 high charges in low fissures and if I need another to get into the optimal range I use a low-med charge in a high fissure. Limpets kill themselves more if the ship is moving around, but I bring enough so that it doesn't matter and I have to jettison some at the end.

There seems to be this wide misconception that you match charge to the fissure indicator. The indicator is an measure of how difficult it will be to use that fissure to blow the rock.

There seems to be this wide misconception that you match charge to the fissure indicator. The indicator is an measure of how difficult it will be to use that fissure to blow the rock.
Low strength fissure means its weak. High strength means its strong. Obviously max charge in weakest fissures does most damage.

2max-low strength
3max-avg strength
4max-high strength

Two max-strength charges in low-strength fissures will either be all-blue or just below it. If the latter, a minimum strength charge in a high-strength fissure completes the job.

This almost never fails and, if it's going to, you can spot the "weird rock" by the graph level after planting that first max-strength charge and adjust accordingly.

I want to thank all those who gave input on this topic, I now got the deep core mining working like it should.
I am not losing limpets like I was before.

Core mining is borked indeed. Simply put, you can't over charge anymore. Visually you can, but the yield is just the same, always between 9 and 14 fragments, no matter what the bars tell you.
Ignore this gibberish☝
It got fixed apparently when carriers were released. Before the release it was broken, but yesterday and overcharged roid yielded only 2 fragments.

Top Bottom