Initial Feedback Response

sure there is a balance to be had but new players might not think that way and just say this game combat sucks and leave you don't want that

sure there is a balance to be had but new players might not think that way and just say this game combat sucks and leave you don't want that
I know, but I think the idea of damage progression and engineering should be made clear to players going in. We've only got the bare bone weapons, unimproved in any way, and not even in a combat suit. The problem is people are testing it as if this is how all combat will be all the time.

I point is still as long as combat is fun from the start you can rely on new players sticking around for the grind just so they can start having fun with the combat later that way will never work you will loose a lot of new players that way and they are trying to get new players to get into Elite .

Combat feels to slow(enemy's are sponges) even considering its without engineered weapons and thus combat gets boring fast witch is a shame ,it needs a faster time to kill on shields
Initially everyone was complaining that combat is too fast. Once we get out of Apex shuttle - we were killed in seconds.
Now we've got some experience (by the price of 15 minutes travel to die fast) and voila - the combat is too slow.
First of all - we (mostly) use non-engineered weapon and suites. Seconds, Maverick is not the combat suite. For combat suite you'll have two primary weapons (and who knowns what else). You'll become twice more deadly and twice more protected. Third - don't use straightforward tactics if you wish a fast win. When I use steals tactics - my grenade launcher I kill enemies in one shot (when striking from back and their shield is not on).

The fight is ok for me. Not every FPS game shell allow you to kill myriads of bots in seconds. Sometimes we are lucky if kill one within a minute. Just another way to have fun.

Я провел 4 часа своей жизни, пытаясь открыть неоткрытую дверь на станции, где нужно ремонтировать «генератор». За это время я умер 2 раза и потерял деньги, задания, которые мне дают, невыполнимы ... Я новый игрок, мне не подсказывают, что и как делать, я выбрал задание с "доставка документов" и приехал на базу, где мне нужно было их забрать - меня опять убили!
Почему я постоянно умираю !?

Я хочу играть и не терять время, пытаясь понять, как понять этот идиотизм!

I spent 4 hours of my life trying to open an unopened door at the station where the "generator" needs to be repaired. During this time, I died 2 times and lost money, the tasks that they give me are not feasible ... I am a new player, they don’t give me any hints on what and how to do, I chose the task with "delivery of documents" and came to the base where I needed was to pick them up - they killed me again!
Why am I constantly dying !?

I want to play and not waste time trying to figure out how to understand this idiocy!

I'm sorry I wasted money on this crap...
I only got the worst gaming experience possible, no game has disappointed me so much. Even CyberPunk 2077 is not as bad as this Odyssey DLC. The most important thing is that the site does not have a button "I NEED ING HELP TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO IMPOSSIBLE TASKS".

Having given me a pistol that does less damage than an ant biting your , and I have no money either for a pistol or a rifle, they impose fines on me.

The worst game I've ever played.
I liked the Elite Dangerous Horizons, I expected the same success from Odyssey, but alas, this is a failure.
The game gives tasks that cannot be completed, I constantly die and lose money, soon I will have 0KR on my account, since they kill me on all tasks, especially when the FPS is lower than CyberPunk 077

Я хочу играть и не терять время, пытаясь понять, как понять этот идиотизм!
Так дождись релиза, дубина.
Сейчас Одисея - не игра. Это альфа, которую тестируют. Для нахождения багов и проблем в игровом процессе. И сразу сказали - для альфы руководства не будет. К релизу подвезут.

Re time to kill.

Keep in mind that once you upgrade and engineer a weapon that TTK is going to drop rapidly, so if you nerf it at the start, they will become TOO easy to kill later
I think there just needs to be a range. Easier, less armoured opponents in low-threat locations with smaller rewards; highly armoured/engineered opponents in high-threat locations with high rewards.

I'm interested to see how the Frontline deployment works this week, if combat is exactly as it is now then getting killed within a few seconds of combat after a 10 minute deployment flight, it's going to get tiresome very quickly. At least with Apex and the current missions, stealth is generally an option.

Edit - I've just seen an ObsidianAnt video stating respawning in Frontline combat will happen in the dropship rather than back at the station. Assuming that's true, that makes the combat more sensible and appealing.

Last edited:
I think there just needs to be a range. Easier, less armoured opponents in low-threat locations with smaller rewards; highly armoured/engineered opponents in high-threat locations with high rewards.

I'm interested to see how the Frontline deployment works this week, if combat is exactly as it is now then getting killed within a few seconds of combat after a 10 minute deployment flight, it's going to get tiresome very quickly. At least with Apex and the current missions, stealth is generally an option.
This is true, we don't really know what the range and scale of threats are at these bases - we see commandos with different ranks, but how does that translate into DPS and TTK? How does it scale? The last thing you want is a scenario where a person with a basic gun simply cannot mathematically kill a high level opponent, or a player can get so powerful that the NPCs drop like flies. That balance is going to be key to the experience, but what is more important is that players are able to get a feel for what that balance is.

We know the basic capabilities of various ships and what the rank system SHOULD represent in terms of skill (whether it actually does is another question), so likewise we should be able to go into a firefight and quickly assess how much of a threat the enemy is to us.

A large portion of this post is kind of rant-filled so the tl;dr is I'm having fun and hope that issues get solved with the missions failing upon death. People need to chill because this is just alpha access and I am waiting impatiently for Phase 2 lol

I don't know why everyone is all up in arms about saying this isn't worth it. I personally am enjoying my time with the alpha. Yeah, some of the bugs are frustrating but it is an ALPHA. Sure, there are more crippling bugs than I was expecting but I still expected them to be there and so help me, I will be sorely disappointed if the whole 'missions fail on death' thing isn't fixed. The purpose of an open alpha isn't to give you a fully fleshed-out gaming experience, its purpose is to get feedback about how the gameplay flows and to get the community involved in identifying bugs. As for the FPS thing...Frontier warned you that assets weren't planned to be fully optimized at the very least in the first part of the alpha. I have a lowly 1070 and I seem to get decent FPS no matter where I go, usually above 40. You just need to play with the settings a little bit.

With that said:

When I opted into the alpha I was expecting there to be a lot of bugs. Those of us participating in the alpha are here to help smooth the game out so that when it does fully release there won't be anywhere near as many bugs. Another thing, bug fixes take time. It isn't like Frontier can just flip a magical switch and have it fixed in a day or two. To say that this was a waste of money, I say I disagree with you but if you feel that way then that's how you feel. Don't get me wrong though, as a consumer that has not only purchased but also assisted in finding bugs (which, again, is was alphas are for) I fully expect Frontier to address these glaringly obvious issues.

I'm not trying to attack anyone in specific and I understand your frustrations with the many issues but come on. Some are crying, basically saying that their rock isn't shiny enough and that this was all just a waste of money. It's kind of ridiculous because I hear less complaining from my students, most of which are younger than age 15.

So can we just chill a little bit and let Frontier focus on fixing things instead of tearing them down over a product that isn't technically ready for release?

Tried the alpha finally, liked it a lot. A suggestion for the apex travel time: 1) I think it would be nice if other npgs were sitting on the other chairs, feels silly that they do a travel just for me 2) we could have minigames where I try to hack devices of other npg to steal info useful for the mission, like where is the "hab" building that I need to get into, or that i can have marked all the combat npgs and such, I think it would keep us busy for a bit and be useful to the mission, or maybe unlock location of a container with useful stuff, or credits

Tried the alpha finally, liked it a lot. A suggestion for the apex travel time: 1) I think it would be nice if other npgs were sitting on the other chairs, feels silly that they do a travel just for me 2) we could have minigames where I try to hack devices of other npg to steal info useful for the mission, like where is the "hab" building that I need to get into, or that i can have marked all the combat npgs and such, I think it would keep us busy for a bit and be useful to the mission, or maybe unlock location of a container with useful stuff, or credits
1) Yeah, they could add a bit of dialog too. "Hope you don't mind, got a couple other fares heading to different parts of the same planet." ;)

Got stuck at Apex Interstellar after making my booking. Couldn't move from my spot, just run in place.
There were many situations when I got stuck with my spaceship or SRV. I used self-destruction.
Once I was locked into infinite loop travelling on Apex - it did not want to land and there is no way to break the travel.
We need a kind of self-destruction for on-foot mode for such situations, because re-login does not alays help.

PLEASE, add:

1. A filter at the mission board for Odyssey missions travel distance (to filter out long ones)
  2. Respawn at landing pad for planet missions, without failing the mission (with the exception for 1 on 1 'hit jobs' they should be tense I think)
  3. Hyperspace jumps in system between bodies (for populated systems only)

pretty, pretty please
a lifelong fan.

Space is big, not boring.

Dear Frontier,

Travel times with Apex Interstellar is reasonable compared to player ship travel times. The problem is that player super cruise time is unreasonable. I have about 6 weeks of ingame time in Horizons. I have visited 3473 star systems. I have also level 2 scanned 6001 times and level 3 scanned 8236 times. Given an average of 5 minutes super cruise for a guestimated 3500 times, I have by that estimate spent a total of 12 days (24h days of course) in super cruise just for my jumps. That's almost 2 (two) weeks of the 6 weeks I have played. Time where I mostly sit and watch a defective countdown clock not really connected to any kind of real time countdown in gradually different speeds. At least half of my play sessions ends because I'm too sick of more super cruising.

I totally get that you want to convey the message that space is big. And you have. I have been to Beagle Point and the top of the Galaxy (by Fleet Carrier). But I feel after so many hours days and weeks of super cruise this has moved from proving a point to either stubboness, ignorance or (hopefully not) punishing the players. Please, please, please stop. I feel half the super cruise time could be liveable but preferably it should be cut down by more the longer you travel. The Hutton truckers would propably survive having to to watch a half hour sit-com instead of a feature film ;-)

The good thing about Apex Interstellar is that it is a complete auto pilot so I can just leave the game running and do something else.

Best regards

CMDR Whitestreet

PS. I don't have access to actual statistics about super cruise times since it's not in the game. Sorry if the calculation is way off. The problem however still feels the same.

Last edited:
Any news on when they'll release another update? Seems there are some small things that could've been hotfixed by now. Guess they're working on a big ol' update that hopefully rolls in most of the needed fixes?

If it has not already been mentioned. A way to change your drop off location at any point while in the taxi would be very helpful.

Elite-Dangerous-CLIENT-6-04-2021-1-19-27-PM.png

Top Bottom