Incentives to go to fleet carriers?

I like to compare FCs to owning a car. It won't make you money, quite the opposite, it'll cost you. Convenience is the main draw for me. Mass commodity storage, having my fleet and modules with me at all times, being able to switch ships in systems without shipyard, jumping 500ly in one go.

One thing I will definitely not use my FC for though, is trading (be that commodities, or ships/modules). It's pointless the way it's implemented right now. If NPC trading was a thing I'd be all over it though.

I will however install a shipyard, not because other players can land on my FC then (I couldn't care less either way), but because my alt CMDR can then hitch a ride. Expensive, sure, but since my CMDR can afford it, why not.
The thing with the car, that yes, it does cost quite a lot, and in the long run as well, but it really depends on how you use it and what car it is. In some cases (quite lot, actually), car is more of a necessity rather than a luxury. Right now, as FCs have been implemented, it will be pure luxury.

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand that Carriers aren't supposed to be necessity and only small percentage of CMDRs should be able to afford them, which is definitely a good thing. But I just hoped for more or better utility out of them. I mean, if think this through, I cannot draw any scenario for myself that I would ever need to land at one myself. It would be cool, of course, I may land at some to see how it is, but there's really completely no reason to. Bubble has all the services I need, realtively close and cheap. In the black, it would be virtually impossible to cover sectors in such a way, that there would be many convenient pit stops. Plus me, and I'm sure, most other CMDRs, go in prepared. If you didn't screw up hard, you can survive in the black indefinitely. That not to even mention owning one myself, that's completely out of question.

Quick return?
You take one of your cheap sidewinders you packed for the occaision, cash in your data, leave the FC and use the self destruct, select the free sidewinder option at your starting station, in my case Bakers Prospect in Asellus Prime and swap to the ship you had parked there ready for your return, back to the bubble in 5 minutes no matter how far out you are and all for the cost of a starter sidewinder!

Why is there no element of progress in the game ?
(yes, there is a guard accelerator and a computer docking, but it is not enough).
What is the difference between a novice digger who in 3-4 days will bring a full Python from an old player who will dig on Cutter for 500 tons and have problems selling?
Logically, after the purchase of FC, the money should be poured by the river.

Why is there no element of progress in the game ?
(yes, there is a guard accelerator and a computer docking, but it is not enough).
What is the difference between a novice digger who in 3-4 days will bring a full Python from an old player who will dig on Cutter for 500 tons and have problems selling?
Logically, after the purchase of FC, the money should be poured by the river.
Because it's not that sort of game. You can't buy ships from other players, and there are no problems selling, plenty of markets around. I'm not sure where logic works into rivers of money after buying an FC, it depends on what you do with it but FC's shouldn't be an automatic money earner although there should be some paths to earning money from them if that's your thing, and I am not 100% convinced they have the balance of maintenance and decommission correct yet.

Because it's not that sort of game. You can't buy ships from other players, and there are no problems selling, plenty of markets around. I'm not sure where logic works into rivers of money after buying an FC, it depends on what you do with it but FC's shouldn't be an automatic money earner although there should be some paths to earning money from them if that's your thing, and I am not 100% convinced they have the balance of maintenance and decommission correct yet.
When I asked why FC is so expensive, many people told me that it is an element of high-end game.

When I asked why FC is so expensive, many people told me that it is an element of high-end game.
I've played many games, not all high end elements of games are automatic money earners, I'm not sure where you got that idea. Also ED is not a regular MMO, in a regular MMO I can create a character and play through content, then create a new character or another account and play through the exact same content, For instance in LOTRO I can play through the Battle for Helms Deep as many times as I like just by creating new characters.

In ED this does not happen, yes you can create a new character be deleting the old one, or buy a new account, but the same content, as in events that play in the game like the community goals that have a shared narrative never happen again, there is no way for a new player, for instance, to take part in the hunt for guardian ruins, or fuel up Jaques Station for the attempt to jump to Beagle Point and join in the search for it after it vanishes. This is the element of progress in the game, the taking part in the shared narrative, such that it is at the moment, it's rather been pared down due to FC expansion and real world events. Engineers and ship configuration and building are just tools to help you take part in the shared narrative. A new player can currently equip an anti-xeno ship to go hunt Thargoids, but eventually the thargoid threat will change and the focus will move on to other events in the galaxy

The FC is simply another ship, that carries ships, it's part of your character development but not necessarily and end game item because there is no end game, just a continuing narrative that never repeats, unlike in other MMO's where you can play through the same content over and over again if you so desire. It never repeats, and in theory it never ends, it's a big task and at times I wonder if FDEV have the story telling capabilities to keep it going. Personally I would prefer there to be multiple continuing narratives that players could choose to take part in, or not as the case may be.

There is no requirement to have a FC to play the game even for players that have been playing since Alpha, unlike other MMO's where end game content requires you to have end game equipment just to survive the end game content, in ED after a few weeks or months playing anyone can afford a ship that gives them access the same content that a player who owns a FC has access to.

So the end thing is I think, don't try to compare ED to most other MMO's, it simply doesn't work like that.

25,000t of storage space and a refuel and rearm staging post for just over 5 million per week. Get to keep all those mission reward only commodities and finally get somewhere to store Thargoid sensor, probe and link. Who likes spending hours hunting for a probe when you need one. Unlocking new technology will be easier as you collect as you play.

25,000t of storage space and a refuel and rearm staging post for just over 5 million per week. Get to keep all those mission reward only commodities and finally get somewhere to store Thargoid sensor, probe and link. Who likes spending hours hunting for a probe when you need one. Unlocking new technology will be easier as you collect as you play.
You forgot to mention the starting price and the cost of individual services.

I've played many games, not all high end elements of games are automatic money earners, I'm not sure where you got that idea. Also ED is not a regular MMO, in a regular MMO I can create a character and play through content, then create a new character or another account and play through the exact same content, For instance in LOTRO I can play through the Battle for Helms Deep as many times as I like just by creating new characters.

In ED this does not happen, yes you can create a new character be deleting the old one, or buy a new account, but the same content, as in events that play in the game like the community goals that have a shared narrative never happen again, there is no way for a new player, for instance, to take part in the hunt for guardian ruins, or fuel up Jaques Station for the attempt to jump to Beagle Point and join in the search for it after it vanishes. This is the element of progress in the game, the taking part in the shared narrative, such that it is at the moment, it's rather been pared down due to FC expansion and real world events. Engineers and ship configuration and building are just tools to help you take part in the shared narrative. A new player can currently equip an anti-xeno ship to go hunt Thargoids, but eventually the thargoid threat will change and the focus will move on to other events in the galaxy

The FC is simply another ship, that carries ships, it's part of your character development but not necessarily and end game item because there is no end game, just a continuing narrative that never repeats, unlike in other MMO's where you can play through the same content over and over again if you so desire. It never repeats, and in theory it never ends, it's a big task and at times I wonder if FDEV have the story telling capabilities to keep it going. Personally I would prefer there to be multiple continuing narratives that players could choose to take part in, or not as the case may be.

There is no requirement to have a FC to play the game even for players that have been playing since Alpha, unlike other MMO's where end game content requires you to have end game equipment just to survive the end game content, in ED after a few weeks or months playing anyone can afford a ship that gives them access the same content that a player who owns a FC has access to.

So the end thing is I think, don't try to compare ED to most other MMO's, it simply doesn't work like that.
1. First of all, the elite are not exactly MMOs so many play this game as a solo or at least in private groups.
2. Maybe my translation was distorted, but I didn't think it was a machine gun, but there has to be progress. If I earned 100t in LTD per hour at the beginning of a game, I should earn the same 100t in 10 minutes as I develop in the right direction.
FC is not a station. Yes, if it was supposed to be mobile stations, then it would be clear why they are so expensive. But after being asked to make them jump every 5 minutes, refueling cheaply, they already cease to be stations and turn into ships.
So if now these are ships, why are they so expensive?
If this is not a high-end item, why is it so expensive?
If these are ships, why are they visible in all modes?
If I get laser-killed, it'll take me one minute. I'll work and buy a prismatic shield and I'll be killed for 5 minutes. I'll go to the engineer and they'll kill me for 10 minutes.
What do I have to do to increase LTD production 4 times faster than at the beginning of the game ?
5. If I buy FC, I can`t buy the 2nd one anymore, i.e. I have no place to spend my money anymore, i.e. after buying FC I have to forget about it.

Last edited:
1. First of all, the elite are not exactly MMOs so many play this game as a solo or at least in private groups.
Traditional single player games are story driven, you can just play them from the beginning over and over again if you want, solo does not equate to single player.

2. Maybe my translation was distorted, but I didn't think it was a machine gun, but there has to be progress. If I earned 100t in LTD per hour at the beginning of a game, I should earn the same 100t in 10 minutes as I develop in the right direction.
Why? If a player after playing a couple of months can earn enough money to afford the best mining gear and mining ship, they aren't that expensive, there's nothing to stop him earning just as much as you. What you are asking for is a magic mining boost for, what exactly? Playing longer than someone else. What you need to remember is this isn't a game where you level magically up, the skills your pilot possesses are the skill you possess, no more, no less. The skills you pilot learns are the skills you learn, no more and no less, you are the pilot, that's what makes this game almost unique.

FC is not a station. Yes, if it was supposed to be mobile stations, then it would be clear why they are so expensive. But after being asked to make them jump every 5 minutes, refueling cheaply, they already cease to be stations and turn into ships.
So if now these are ships, why are they so expensive?
If this is not a high-end item, why is it so expensive?
If these are ships, why are they visible in all modes?
Because due to player demand for rather silly changes, yes just like yours, they were changed from the original concept of being a squad carrier to being a personal carrier, and much of the baggage of "Squad Carrier" has of necessity translated over to Personal Fleet Carrier. If you want friends to land at your carrier, and customers of the markets, they have to be visible in all modes.

A fully battle ready Imperial cutter can easily get to a billion credits, 5b is not a lot for a Fleet Carrier.

If I get laser-killed, it'll take me one minute. I'll work and buy a prismatic shield and I'll be killed for 5 minutes. I'll go to the engineer and they'll kill me for 10 minutes.
What do I have to do to increase LTD production 4 times faster than at the beginning of the game ?
You can't, your money earning capability is tied to your ablities as a pilot and miner and the equipment supplied, again this isn't a game of magic where people who have been playing longer get a magic boost to earn extra money or mine extra ore, there is no magic mining laser that magically makes more ore.

5. If I buy FC, I can`t buy the 2nd one anymore, i.e. I have no place to spend my money anymore, i.e. after buying FC I have to forget about it.
And yet here you are complaining that you can't earn ten times as much because you should have magically leveled up, and now complain that you can't buy multiple FC's so you have nowhere to spend your money, and that's the issue, ED isn't about the money, ED is about the pilot and what the pilot does. I may buy an FC, but the total amount of money I need to earn is the exact same amount of money that I require to pay to keep the FC, and that's it, because it's not about the money, it's about you, the pilot, and what you, and if all you can find to do is to earn more and more money, well that's not my or FDEV's problems and they shouldn't adjust the game just to suit you.

Traditional single player games are story driven, you can just play them from the beginning over and over again if you want, solo does not equate to single player.
I guess I don't quite understand YOU from the translation.
Single games with a story is usually Quest, you have to pass the story and that's it.
Single RPG games are usually without plot, you have to pump the character to a certain level.

Why? If a player after playing a couple of months can earn enough money to afford the best mining gear and mining ship, they aren't that expensive, there's nothing to stop him earning just as much as you. What you are asking for is a magic mining boost for, what exactly? Playing longer than someone else. What you need to remember is this isn't a game where you level magically up, the skills your pilot possesses are the skill you possess, no more, no less. The skills you pilot learns are the skills you learn, no more and no less, you are the pilot, that's what makes this game almost unique.
I'm on a ship after engineers easily kill YOU and no pilot skill will help YOU.

Because due to player demand for rather silly changes, yes just like yours, they were changed from the original concept of being a squad carrier to being a personal carrier, and much of the baggage of "Squad Carrier" has of necessity translated over to Personal Fleet Carrier. If you want friends to land at your carrier, and customers of the markets, they have to be visible in all modes.

A fully battle ready Imperial cutter can easily get to a billion credits, 5b is not a lot for a Fleet Carrier.
You can't compare a fully dressed Cutter to a stripped FC.

You can't, your money earning capability is tied to your ablities as a pilot and miner and the equipment supplied, again this isn't a game of magic where people who have been playing longer get a magic boost to earn extra money or mine extra ore, there is no magic mining laser that magically makes more ore.
But there is a jumping guard magnifier and engineers who can magically make your shield not susceptible to heat.

And yet here you are complaining that you can't earn ten times as much because you should have magically leveled up, and now complain that you can't buy multiple FC's so you have nowhere to spend your money, and that's the issue, ED isn't about the money, ED is about the pilot and what the pilot does. I may buy an FC, but the total amount of money I need to earn is the exact same amount of money that I require to pay to keep the FC, and that's it, because it's not about the money, it's about you, the pilot, and what you, and if all you can find to do is to earn more and more money, well that's not my or FDEV's problems and they shouldn't adjust the game just to suit you.
On the contrary, I want them not to cheat on their rules, but in fact, the opposite comes out. They'll lower prices for service, they'll make it to jump every 5 minutes. What's all this for?

You take one of your cheap sidewinders you packed for the occaision, cash in your data, leave the FC and use the self destruct, select the free sidewinder option at your starting station, in my case Bakers Prospect in Asellus Prime and swap to the ship you had parked there ready for your return, back to the bubble in 5 minutes no matter how far out you are and all for the cost of a starter sidewinder!
Yes, but the FC? Why even bother with it at all?

Top Bottom