Incentives to go to fleet carriers?

How about buying from a fleet carrier. A new player needs 1 meta-alloys to make Felicity Farseer happy in Deciat. One can fly some distance to find one or go to a nearby friendly fleet carrier and purchase one at say a 15 percent increase in cost. Same for the other rares engineers request. Would still have to figure out how to meet especially if in Deciat without griefers killing the new player.
FCs are persistent in all modes. So one could dock in solo and go to the engineers with the mats in town without any issues.

The main reason people would use (someone else’s) carrier is convenience and time. To stand a chance of making any money, a carrier must offer this to the client, but there are several ways for a carrier to do this. Just directly off the top of my head:
  • Buying LTDs below 1.6 Mcr/ton. A conveniently located carrier buying relatively low is useful to a miner that does not have their own. Unless the high sell system is nextdoors, you can save a lot of time that you can use to go back mining - resulting in a higher profit rate. If you are just blindly snd stubbornly going for the highest price you can get - you are costing yourself credits.
  • Buying LTDs above current high-sell price when lower than 1.6 Mcr. Unless the miner is willing to wait for a ”great offer”. Waiting takes time and you cannot do anything else meanwhile. Coincidentally, if the carrier owner does not want to haul everything to the sell station ship by ship, they can resell the LTDs near the high-sell location and still make profit. They might even sell it back to the original miner - meaning the miner essentially paid a fee for storage and transport, but still made more credits than they would have otherwise.
  • Conflict zone support. For people into BGS, conflict zones do not always occur close to a convenient station where you can rearm and repair. This means you either have to make a long supercruise journey or synthesise ammo, use repair limpets/afmu, etc. A repair/rearm/refuel carrier next to the CZ would be used even if the price was increased by 100%.
  • Offering UC in the black. A clear timesaver for explorers.

Doesn't sound like an incentive to me tbh.
Then you are not optimising your mining. Nothing wrong with not doing that, but the incentive is clear.

How about buying from a fleet carrier. A new player needs 1 meta-alloys to make Felicity Farseer happy in Deciat. One can fly some distance to find one or go to a nearby friendly fleet carrier and purchase one at say a 15 percent increase in cost. Same for the other rares engineers request. Would still have to figure out how to meet especially if in Deciat without griefers killing the new player.
That's a non-problem, as the carrier exists in all modes.

Then you are not optimising your mining. Nothing wrong with not doing that, but the incentive is clear.
Why would I travel 2000Ly outside the bubble just to get a price I can get anywhere in the bubble, if not a better price in the bubble? A quad hotspot won't make up that loss.

You're dropping 33% of your profit margin right off the bat.

Last edited:
Can we see any other benefits for commanders interacting with someone’s FC?
All I’m seeing is mining talk.
Not being facetious, I was just wondering, you know.

Why would I travel 2000Ly outside the bubble just to get a price I can get anywhere in the bubble, if not a better price in the bubble? A quad hotspot won't make up that loss.

You're dropping 33% of your profit margin right off the bat.
Because mining in the hypothetical quadruple hotspot imagined in the post you quoted would be faster than mining in the bubble where there might not be even a triple hotspot. You would also not travel in your mining ship, you would hitch a ride on one of the mining carriers.

Profit per ton is also a bad measure. Imagine the following case: You can get 1.6 M/ton with a Bubble hotspot, but travelling to and from the sell location makes your round trip take 2 hours. Or you can get 1.2 M/ton at this hypothetical carrier where the round trip takes one hour. You are not losing by then mining with the carrier, even if you are paid less per ton. This illusion is something many players already do wrong, but at a smaller scale. People would go 200 ly just to get the best price, say 1.67 M/ton when there is a perfectly fine sell location two jumps away where they offer 1.63 M/ton. (NB: made up numbers!)

Because mining in the hypothetical quadruple hotspot imagined in the post you quoted would be faster than mining in the bubble where there might not be even a triple hotspot. You would also not travel in your mining ship, you would hitch a ride on one of the mining carriers.

Profit per ton is also a bad measure. Imagine the following case: You can get 1.6 M/ton with a Bubble hotspot, but travelling to and from the sell location makes your round trip take 2 hours. Or you can get 1.2 M/ton at this hypothetical carrier where the round trip takes one hour. You are not losing by then mining with the carrier, even if you are paid less per ton. This illusion is something many players already do wrong, but at a smaller scale. People would go 200 ly just to get the best price, say 1.67 M/ton when there is a perfectly fine sell location two jumps away where they offer 1.63 M/ton. (NB: made up numbers!)
Why is the travel to and from the sale point 2 hours? Do people not know how to find good prices that aren't on EDDB or whatever?

People who go 200 Ly to get that 1.6m don't understand the hurt they're doing to their bottom line. Better to just know how to find out how to get good prices (1.2m ish) close by (<50ly) and just stay in the bubble.

Besides, this is all hinging on some mythical non- existent quadruple hotspot within 2000Ly which I'll believe that when it exists, but at this stage it's pointless to try and debate that sort of logic; if i give you a counter, what's next? Quintuple hotspot? Sextuple hotspot ?

A general nerf to hotspots and ltds is way more likely.

Last edited:
Why is the travel to and from the sale point 2 hours?
I never said that. Please read the post.
I said that the round trip was 2 hours. I also said that the numbers were fictional. Please use abstraction.
Te abstracted example was also not relying on the setup of the previous example.

Quick question, can other players store their own fleets on an FC, to use as a 'home' base. I may have a money making oppurtunity for FC players that just popped into my head....
If the FC is equipped with a Shipyard service (not the basic one which is exclusively for the owner) then yes. It works like any station shipyard.

I never said that. Please read the post.
I said that the round trip was 2 hours. I also said that the numbers were fictional. Please use abstraction.
Te abstracted example was also not relying on the setup of the previous example.
No, I'm definitely reading your examples, and abstracting. Two hours, one hour, doesn't matter. I wouldn't jump more than two or three times to get a good sale price.

There's simply no incentive for me to use the FC setup you're pitching, as a visitor. There's simply too many better options in the bubble.

The only reason i've seen so far is if you are out in the black and need to repair and there is a FC closer than the nearest station.

Ask the people who keep telling us each and every carrier will be a money print with traders eager to buy and sell at a fraction of the profit they could get trading with stations two jumps over.

Stellar Cartography (that was ironically only added after massive player demands) out in the black is probably the best incentive. Personally I never felt the urge to dock up for repairs or refuelling while exploring, but your mileage may vary.

The trips to mining and back to station factor into the profit per hour calculation. You cant just declare them void after the fact the ratios have been recorded, lol. Ppl dont magically make more by saying they didnt need the time to travel. This is only relevant when players decide the time spent travelling bores, which is a different measure.

Top Bottom