In 20 days we will finally see how the Imperial Cutter is an upscaled smaller ship

The poor little guy could have easily been placed 2 meters higher up in the cockpit, so his left/right view would not have unnecessary been obstructed by the hull.
What kind of lame, tame science fiction scenario even is it when pilots are looking out of literal windows with their meat eyes? Even Elite 1984 had a rear-view camera.

Who needs visibility in a dedicated combat ship?

This game doesn't exactly have the best designed ships. It's bad enough there is one gigantic cockpit which is one gigantic weakpoint dominating the entire front of the ship, and then they put the seat so far down there's no peripheral vision out of it. This is a maneuverable combat ship, not a miner.

Even if you shrink the ship by 50% so the scale is more believable and pilot's head is above those gigantic struts the design doesn't make sense.
I don;t think the problem is that it's made of glass, I think his problem is that there's a whole decks worth of room between his characters head and the glass roof. It doesn't need to be that big to be see-through.

Personally I don;t care. I made peace with this fact back in the Alpha when I noticed how big it was in VR.

What kind of lame, tame science fiction scenario even is it when pilots are looking out of literal windows with their meat eyes? Even Elite 1984 had a rear-view camera.

I see what you mean, but I don't blame FDev for deciding to go with transparent cockpits. Many SciFi universes have this, like Star Wars, Battle Star Gallactica etc. In those unverses you also see WW2 like combat in space.
I am perfectly fine with that. I think it works for a game.

I do have a problem with the huge transparent cockpit/bridge on a ship like the T10. This ship is supposed to be designed for combat. When designing the T10 FDev could have easily created a more armoured and less open cockpit. I think that would have been very cool.

As far as the rear view cam is concerned... I had hoped that the screen between our legs would eventually have been utilized for a rear-view camera, but the lack of such a camera is not a big problem for me.

Again compare the concept to the reality.
lewis-fischer-lewis-fischer-10532382-758621720848459-495079854473378357-n.jpg

I don;t think the problem is that it's made of glass, I think his problem is that there's a whole decks worth of room between his characters head and the glass roof. It doesn't need to be that big to be see-through.

Personally I don;t care. I made peace with this fact back in the Alpha when I noticed how big it was in VR.
Part of the problem is it's made of glass, or transparent aluminum or whatever it is. It's not reinforced hull and that's the problem. A combat ship that relies on facing it's target has this massive bubble weakpoint right there.
Again compare the concept to the reality.
View attachment 225167

That looks amazing. Proper-sized cockpit, good peripheral vision, plenty of room for the two large hardpoints. Could do with a bit less bracing in the cockpit for even better visibility but that's not what's really important about that concept ship.

Some people have been mentioning the oversized cockpits are due to VR issues. I wonder how true that is? There has to be a reason they abandoned these amazing concepts and changed them to what we have now.

Part of the problem is it's made of glass, or transparent aluminum or whatever it is. It's not reinforced hull and that's the problem. A combat ship that relies on facing it's target has this massive bubble weakpoint right there.
I mean, I don't know what it is, I don;t think it's ever been explained. So we don't know if it is any weaker than than the rest of ship.

I mean, I don't know what it is, I don;t think it's ever been explained. So we don't know if it is any weaker than than the rest of ship.
I'm just thinking nothing optically transparent like that will be as strong as the hull. I'm thinking in terms of design not gameplay, because in game it's not as easy to breach the cockpit. In reality though that huge cockpit would be breached almost as soon as the shields are down.

Regardless, the concept art of the Vulture looks so much better and more to scale which is making me think more and more that VR does have something to do with the scaling issues.

I'm just thinking nothing optically transparent like that will be as strong as the hull. I'm thinking in terms of design not gameplay, because in game it's not as easy to breach the cockpit. In reality though that huge cockpit would be breached almost as soon as the shields are down.

Regardless, the concept art of the Vulture looks so much better and more to scale which is making me think more and more that VR does have something to do with the scaling issues.
I agree it does look silly. But its looked silly for 6 years.

That looks amazing. Proper-sized cockpit, good peripheral vision, plenty of room for the two large hardpoints. Could do with a bit less bracing in the cockpit for even better visibility but that's not what's really important about that concept ship.

Some people have been mentioning the oversized cockpits are due to VR issues. I wonder how true that is? There has to be a reason they abandoned these amazing concepts and changed them to what we have now.

I don't see this as an issue, personally. What's the difference between this and anything else? You can have the goalpost here, but you can't have it over here! Why is this harder than warp speed?

We've had transparent ceramics for some time with a lot of hardness but not so much flexural or tensile strength compared to other things you'd use like metals. Recent advancements in metamaterials and molecular structuring mean we now have transparent composites and plastics as strong as steel.

So in Elite's case, I've always felt that the main limiter for big cockpit windows is cost. They can probably make whatever they need combat-wise to be transparent with some extra doing

If you remove the seats I think you can fit an entire sidewinder (15m x 21m) inside my orca's cockpit.
To be fair, Orcas are massive ship, with lots of tourists aboard (nearly a hundred at max capacity). The bridge are the appropriate size, because you'd expect a crew in it. Look at a modern day plane, you have lots of people aboard, 2-3 in the cockpit flying, and a lot to serve food/beverage, make sure everything's alright and so on. According to internet, the airbus a380 have 3+21 crew members, for 400 passengers. Even if you divide that by 4, that's still a lot more than 1.

Imagine the TNG Enterprise bridge, but you remove everyone but Picard, and all the console but 2. It would sure feels empty.

I find it silly that the largest ships don't have NPC crew around. Even if they served no real purpose but to look pretty. The ship feel really weird the way they are. And they could have a use for those crew, have bonus with them, so you buy crewmember for the bonus they afford, like I dunno, better heat management on the engineer dude, faster RoF on the tactical, or perhaps you went for the more range tactical guy ? you get the idea.

To be fair, Orcas are massive ship, with lots of tourists aboard (nearly a hundred at max capacity). The bridge are the appropriate size, because you'd expect a crew in it. Look at a modern day plane, you have lots of people aboard, 2-3 in the cockpit flying, and a lot to serve food/beverage, make sure everything's alright and so on....

I find it silly that the largest ships don't have NPC crew around. Even if they served no real purpose but to look pretty.

My orca is an imperial ship. No servants allowed on the bridge unless they are serving drinks.

But there is certainly lots of room for guest tours. See all the nice shiny gadgets and controls? Just like Avenue5, the ship is controlled by one guy with a laptop hidden away.

avenue5.jpg

Last edited:

My bet would be: not very true at all 😁

If anything, smaller cockpits would be easier in VR - you have the ability to lean forward and look around any obstacles such as cockpit struts.
In my opinion, the huge windows seen on many ships are a consequence of having to make the view look good in both 2D and 3D. That would explain the use of what appears to be forced perspective on many ship bridges.

I find it silly that the largest ships don't have NPC crew around. Even if they served no real purpose but to look pretty.

That is the realest of purpose, what are you saying!

One of my hopes for Odyssey is that the hips we saw in the mission pack thing are in it. I don't really have my hopes up because this is family-friendly Frontier we're talking about. And EA is apparently censoring the Mass Effect remaster. So... yeah...

But hey! Least I can shoot a guy full of bullets!

Top Bottom