In 20 days we will finally see how the Imperial Cutter is an upscaled smaller ship

Well I think you're dead on. I always did think that. The Cutter simply doesn't look to scale. It's not proportioned right or something. The big giveaway is that cockpit windshield. The Cutter has this massive commerical-jet looking canopy but the chairs in the cockpit should be teney tiney. They are not. This is a ship that's supposed to be almost two HUNDRED meters in length!

The Boeing 747 is only 70 meters in length, and yet compared to the whole body of the thing, the cockpit canopy is tiny compared to the Cutter:

View attachment 211956View attachment 211958

TLDR: Cutter canopy/bridge should be half the size, to properly reflect the stated size of the ship.
Honestly, the window size is subjective, it really doesnt matter how it looks so long as its functions as a proper canopy.

As for the stairs, what if we got it all wrong and they ARE the right size because they werent stairs, what if they are SUPPOSE to be that big so people CANT climb them? Aint theft device type things. Ya know, make it hard for unwanted people to board?

And for the owner, the compress to make a simple slope to walk up for boarding?

..just playing devil's advocate.

Honestly, the window size is subjective, it really doesnt matter how it looks so long as its functions as a proper canopy.

As for the stairs, what if we got it all wrong and they ARE the right size because they werent stairs, what if they are SUPPOSE to be that big so people CANT climb them? Aint theft device type things. Ya know, make it hard for unwanted people to board?

And for the owner, the compress to make a simple slope to walk up for boarding?

..just playing devil's advocate.
*Cargo-Massager Flaps' advocate?

Tbh I would be more content with that than it being like a cheap bike lock

Why are people so surprised by this? It's not like the Cutter's giant stairs have been hidden, you can see the stairs and cockpit at the same time using the external camera.

Why are people so surprised by this? It's not like the Cutter's giant stairs have been hidden, you can see the stairs and cockpit at the same time using the external camera.

It's not so much the surprise, but rather that there were a surprising amount of people that fought tooth and nail that no it wasn't oversized, your comparisons are off, it's a matter of perspective, the devs will fix this if they release on foot gameplay, etc etc...

I think I was in this camp before the Alpha. I guess it isn't so important until we can actually walk up those stairs...

I'm still holding out a small amount of (likely misplaced) hope that they will in fact give us some sort of an Armstrong moment instead of a Kirk moment, along with corrected scale with things like the Cutter ramp (and ramps/ladders/viable entrances for other things). The other scale/etc issues can wait for when/if they do model revisions.

This isn't a gamebreaker for me if not, but it would speak to the resources/effort (or lack thereof) FDev (the company, not the devs) are putting into this product.

I'm still holding out a small amount of (likely misplaced) hope that they will in fact give us some sort of an Armstrong moment instead of a Kirk moment, along with corrected scale with things like the Cutter ramp (and ramps/ladders/viable entrances for other things). The other scale/etc issues can wait for when/if they do model revisions.

This isn't a gamebreaker for me if not, but it would speak to the resources/effort (or lack thereof) FDev (the company, not the devs) are putting into this product.

hahaha ask the power play users how post-release feature completion / additions worked out for them (us).

Coming out with a surprise like that at this point would actually be a decent business strategy and generate a fair amount of goodwill.

Because some of us (a) have never bought any ranked Imperial ships and (b) didn't obsessively crawl over every detail of every model in the game.

Anyway, I was reading the tone more as "light contempt" than "surprise".

What a time to be alive.

Should FDev make counseling available for those deeply affected by this?
Yep, strange times when a kickstarter funded game can release with all the cosmetics (before arx) wanting rather hefty sums for mere paints etc and DLC's releasing for rather large sums in their own right just for features the game juiced us up with as if it were core content - cosmetics aside, but still all of them being locked behind a pay wall pretty much.

I think Elite has cost me more to put a personal touch on and update with DLC than my entire game collection on PS4 and Xbox combined. 😂

They said Armstrong but meant Kirk. We're not getting anything but fade to black.
Interesting, that would mean we'll get the welcoming alien women soon I expect.

Ripping our shirt is going to be an issue in a no atmosphere environment, but we'll have to manage.

Last edited:
A small cockpit for every ship in Elite is enough.
Not a single ship in Elite needs a bridge, because one pilot can handle the entire ship no matter how big it is.
In Elite Star Destroyers would be manned by just one person, and it would handle like a heavy sluggish fighter.

I wish we had a solid crew system, just like in the older games. No medium to big ship, no Corvette or Cutter, should be fully functional without a full complement of crew.
In "Frontier: Elite 2" I couldn't even take off without crew for my Panther Clipper.
I even remember having to sell a ship I just bought, because there was no crew I could hire at that particular station.

By the way not just large ships suffer from weird upscaling.
Just look at this poor lonely Vulture pilot in his gigantic Vulture cockpit dome.
The poor little guy could have easily been placed 2 meters higher up in the cockpit, so his left/right view would not have unnecessary been obstructed by the hull.

B73IZSE.jpg

Last edited:
A small cockpit for every ship in Elite is enough.
Not a single ship in Elite needs a bridge, because one pilot can handle the entire ship no matter how big it is.
In Elite Star Destroyers would be manned by just one person, and it would handle like a heavy sluggish fighter.

I wish we had a solid crew system, just like in the older games. No medium to big ship, no Corvette or Cutter, should be fully functional without a full complement of crew.
In "Frontier: Elite 2" I couldn't even take off without crew for my Panther Clipper.
I even remember having to sell a ship I just bought, because there was no crew I could hire at that particular station.

By the way not just large ships suffer from weird upscaling.
Just look at this poor lonely Vulture pilot in his gigantic Vulture cockpit dome.
The poor little guy could have easily been placed 2 meters higher up in the cockpit, so his left/right view would not have unnecessary been obstructed by the hull.

B73IZSE.jpg
Who needs visibility in a dedicated combat ship?

This game doesn't exactly have the best designed ships. It's bad enough there is one gigantic cockpit which is one gigantic weakpoint dominating the entire front of the ship, and then they put the seat so far down there's no peripheral vision out of it. This is a maneuverable combat ship, not a miner.

Even if you shrink the ship by 50% so the scale is more believable and pilot's head is above those gigantic struts the design doesn't make sense.

Who needs visibility in a dedicated combat ship?

This game doesn't exactly have the best designed ships. It's bad enough there is one gigantic cockpit which is one gigantic weakpoint dominating the entire front of the ship, and then they put the seat so far down there's no peripheral vision out of it. This is a maneuverable combat ship, not a miner.

Even if you shrink the ship by 50% so the scale is more believable and pilot's head is above those gigantic struts the design doesn't make sense.

Yes, a long time ago I already pointed this out on the forums.
I love the Vulture, but I was always annoyed by the ridiculously bad peripheral view of this supposed combat ship.

FDev do not have to change the ship exterior as far as I am concerned, but they have to put the pilot seat higher up in the cockpit to make it look less absurd and to give the pilot a good view of his surroundings.
They could create 2 extra seats at the bottom of the cockpit for passengers, or crew. Or they could add a bunk for the commander, or a weapons locker, or whatever.
Especially if they add a good NPC crew mechanic it might be useful to have crew seats.

Top Bottom