In 20 days we will finally see how the Imperial Cutter is an upscaled smaller ship

The top one was designed more or less correctly to scale. The cockpit is fairly normal-sized in relation to the figure standing there, and it immediately gives a proper sense of the size of the ship.

Compare it to the ship we got:

View attachment 224439

They don't look anywhere near the same size. It's that cockpit. For some reason they made the Clipper and Cutter cockpits huge, like comically huge. The Cutter's cockpit window is as large as a modern jet fighter.

You might be right that instead of upscaling small ships they actually modeled them as large ships, but they still made critical features too large and someone signed off it and that's what matters.

I still think they upscaled the ships though and added the seats and instruments after.
In the case of the bridge, I suspect that while the original design probably looked fine on a 2D screen, in VR the view looked like crap, so they expanded the size of front window.

There are a couple of things like that - in FA on in low pass flight near the ground it is said that the vertical thruster is automatically fired to keep height in level flight. But so far I couldn't recognize an active vertical thruster doing that. In FA off, when the pilot is doing it manually, it is there. These are tiny issues, but recognizable. What you mentioned is eventually because the inertia isn't really calculated - a thruster firing has a pretty immediate effect, not a gradual one, even the achieved gradual increase of speed is there. But i don't mind it, it is a simplification which is in a game acceptable.

Don't know if you are talking about something changed in Odyssey or about the game so far, but as far as I know up until Horizons, you absolutely see thrusters at work like they should (more or less, it's still a very good approximation but it's no X-Plane of course). In Fa On, thrusters are what keep you afloat and still, and depending on gravity and the thrust that needs to be produced to counter it, you'll see them firing constantly at the required power even when perfectly still or flying level. Due to their absurdly high thrust though, you'll see the kind of drift you mention only under very high gravity. Go a few hundred meters above ground on a 5+ g world on, get completely still in FA On, then just roll or pitch in any direction and see how the ship starts sliding around and plummeting to the ground while the thrusters struggle to push it upward and regaining balance at the same time. There are for sure shortcuts and tricks that the flight model applies to make it more of an enjoyable arcade than an infuriating Apollo simulator, but the general plausibility is still very solid and ships behave like being pushed by fantasy tech engines, more than suspended by fantasy magic wires.

In the case of the bridge, I suspect that while the original design probably looked fine on a 2D screen, in VR the view looked like crap, so they expanded the size of front window.
That’s an interesting one to leave at VR’s door - the FoV that I see in my Quest 2 is about the same as what I get in flatscreen mode while looking directly ahead - in the Rift S there was less than that, such that I couldn’t fit the full HUD in view at one time (though only the very extremes were cut off). I’m not sure what headsets were available back during the Imp ship design process but FoV isn’t massively different between the various HMDs, excluding PIMAX.
———
I’ve only tried the Imperial ships during Betas under relaxed buying restrictions - but I found them too bright, too shiny, and too big. I can’t remember whether it’s the Cutter or Clipper, but there is a big “footwell” in front of the pilot seats that, if our CMDRs were scaled up 1.5 or 2 times, would be just the right size and position to be, well, a footwell 😁

Don't know if you are talking about something changed in Odyssey or about the game so far, but as far as I know up until Horizons, you absolutely see thrusters at work like they should (more or less, it's still a very good approximation but it's no X-Plane of course). In Fa On, thrusters are what keep you afloat and still, and depending on gravity and the thrust that needs to be produced to counter it, you'll see them firing constantly at the required power even when perfectly still or flying level. Due to their absurdly high thrust though, you'll see the kind of drift you mention only under very high gravity. Go a few hundred meters above ground on a 5+ g world on, get completely still in FA On, then just roll or pitch in any direction and see how the ship starts sliding around and plummeting to the ground while the thrusters struggle to push it upward and regaining balance at the same time. There are for sure shortcuts and tricks that the flight model applies to make it more of an enjoyable arcade than an infuriating Apollo simulator, but the general plausibility is still very solid and ships behave like being pushed by fantasy tech engines, more than suspended by fantasy magic wires.
Ok, i will do that and visit a higher gravity planet - eventually I have just failed to see it - but I said this - i couldn't recognize it, but I'll give it another go - thanks for the reply.

The drift to the side when rolling is certainly there and I didn't doubt it. But when you pitch in FA on at speed 0 - there has to be thruster (forwards resp. backwards) action to keep the speed at zero. I haven't seen that yet, but I will give it another go and observe it a bit closer. Would be great if it is there, but as well no big deal if not - it's a game in the end.

i normally go to FA off near the ground, because flying near the ground with FA on feels like flying on a cushion and it feels weird to control the space craft in contour flight in FA on, at least to me. This said, when searching for a landing spot, I do that in FA on - to free me from the burden to frequently having to fire the thruster to maintain height. Having an auto-land in Odyssey will be a most welcome addition.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting one to leave at VR’s door - the FoV that I see in my Quest 2 is about the same as what I get in flatscreen mode while looking directly ahead - in the Rift S there was less than that, such that I couldn’t fit the full HUD in view at one time (though only the very extremes were cut off). I’m not sure what headsets were available back during the Imp ship design process but FoV isn’t massively different between the various HMDs, excluding PIMAX.
———
I’ve only tried the Imperial ships during Betas under relaxed buying restrictions - but I found them too bright, too shiny, and too big. I can’t remember whether it’s the Cutter or Clipper, but there is a big “footwell” in front of the pilot seats that, if our CMDRs were scaled up 1.5 or 2 times, would be just the right size and position to be, well, a footwell 😁
It’s more that you can turn your head in VR, and there are certain ships that looked fine on a flat screen, but once I switched to VR most of my potential sight lines are blocked by the hull. It’s one of the reasons I rejected the Anaconda as my Distant Worlds II ship, and also one of the reasons I preferred the Hauler to the Adder way back in the day. If I’m going to spend months, if not years, in a single ship, I want one where I don’t have to contort my body just to see what’s going on above me.

It’s more that you can turn your head in VR, and there are certain ships that looked fine on a flat screen, but once I switched to VR most of my potential sight lines are blocked by the hull. It’s one of the reasons I rejected the Anaconda as my Distant Worlds II ship, and also one of the reasons I preferred the Hauler to the Adder way back in the day. If I’m going to spend months, if not years, in a single ship, I want one where I don’t have to contort my body just to see what’s going on above me.
After being stuck in a Sidey at the start of the Alpha, I’ve decided to outfit one for planetary exploration - it’s got a great all-round view without being one of the cathedral cockpits. I’d not touched one since well before I’d got VR, so it was a pleasant surprise when I started Zarch-ing around in FAoff.

I’d still be surprised though if VR informed any ship canopy designs 🙂

an alien emotional support animal could be thing eventually :rolleyes:
I'd pay for a tribble or a cat or a rodent or whatever instead of the bobblehead.
Bonus point if you can have a cat and a rodent, and the cat spend half its time chasing the rodent around in 0g (the other half is dedicated to sleeping in the most annoying place for the pilot).

I’m curious - which ships are those?
Asp Explorer is the one I’m most familiar with. The “holoplate” (for lack of a better term) is larger than most ships, as are its holograms, and it’s also farther away than normal. It feels like someone pushed it back to make it easier to look down in VR, and the resized everything to keep the HUD in 2D consistent with the rest of the ships. There’s other ships that seem to have taken a similar approach, but most ships I’ve only seen during betas, and I’ve been flying my Phantom for a long time now. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Asp Explorer is the one I’m most familiar with. The “holoplate” (for lack of a better term) is larger than most ships, as are its holograms, and it’s also farther away than normal. It feels like someone pushed it back to make it easier to look down in VR, and the resized everything to keep the HUD in 2D consistent with the rest of the ships. There’s other ships that seem to have taken a similar approach, but most ships I’ve only seen during betas, and I’ve been flying my Phantom for a long time now. 🤷‍♀️
Ah okay, I’m a Cobra kid mainly with only a handful of other (rarely used) ships parked at Shin Dez, and only really had a quick go in other ships during Betas.

The scanner disk varies from dinner-plate sized (SRV & SLF) up to coffee table sized in the big vessels - same with the side holo panels that can go from a4 size to meter-long displays - and something that’s only noticeable in VR. I’ve always thought that’s a by-product of the ship design, not something that was led by VR - but you may be correct 🤷‍♂️

I wish they’d sort out the few ships that have HUD elements obviously going “through” the cockpit glass, though 😁

It's finally happening.

I've maintained all along that some of the larger ships in this game were originally designed and modeled as smaller ships with a size similar to our modern real life aircraft, then upscaled to make them gigantic. A 33 page thread of back-and-forth argument ensued.

We were never truly able to get a sense of the upscaling without spacelegs. A few forum posters were able to use VR but soon we will finally be able to see how some of the ships were obviously designed as smaller ships and then upscaled.

The Cutter's stairs/escalator or whatever you want to call it are the perfect example of what I mean and that's what I'm looking forward to - finally being able to walk up to them (maybe not up them though) as a properly-sized human and get a true sense of how they were originally designed as normal-sized stairs (or escalator with stairs, whatever) that lead into a modern jet-sized craft to enormous stairs built for giants when devs decided the model needed to be huge.
Well, you were pretty darn right huh?

That staircase... how... did it get past QA?

Is there a QA?

Why aren't they fired?

It's finally happening.

I've maintained all along that some of the larger ships in this game were originally designed and modeled as smaller ships with a size similar to our modern real life aircraft, then upscaled to make them gigantic. A 33 page thread of back-and-forth argument ensued.

We were never truly able to get a sense of the upscaling without spacelegs. A few forum posters were able to use VR but soon we will finally be able to see how some of the ships were obviously designed as smaller ships and then upscaled.

The Cutter's stairs/escalator or whatever you want to call it are the perfect example of what I mean and that's what I'm looking forward to - finally being able to walk up to them (maybe not up them though) as a properly-sized human and get a true sense of how they were originally designed as normal-sized stairs (or escalator with stairs, whatever) that lead into a modern jet-sized craft to enormous stairs built for giants when devs decided the model needed to be huge.
The stairs on the Cutter are a joke. More like a ramp for an APC. Haha.

When I bought the krait some time ago, (forget which one, perhaps both ?), I remember the ship hull was clipping on top of the ladder (in a big way). I wonder if it's a regular issue or only happen once in a while.
Well, you were pretty darn right huh?

That staircase... how... did it get past QA?

Is there a QA?

Why aren't they fired?
It's an Imperial ship, all the QA is made by slaves. And technically speaking, you can't fire slaves. You can fire upon them however.

Suits me. Then I can ignore it completely.

Gotta save money for those Arx.

1620022827179.png

Top Bottom