News Important Community Update

Indeed... I'd suggest with the most recent update to ED, we've only just seen the first "top quality content" update to ED in 2-3yrs... And even then, it still has some serious balance/mechanics issues still in it from questionable design.

I'm concerned TBH at the lack of progress in ED in the past 2-3yrs. And I'm concerned what that means. ie: How can those same 100 people produce content of true bar raising quality this year, when seemingly it was so hard last year... and the year before that?

For me, space legs would require a whole new level of game mechanics with purpose and depth to make it worth while. And FD seem to really struggle with game mechancis with purpose and depth. So my hope is this year will see atmospheric landings with some basic mechanics for it (eg: surface mining), but which ultimately just adds a huge amount to exploration content/variety.

Can anyone for example look at the current depth of the game. The amount mechanics and depth have moved on over the past 2-3yrs. And imagine DB's kickstarter sales pitch of landing on a planet to big game hunt a creature for a mission etc etc ever being in the game, in any form that is a solid worthwhile mechanic? I cannot even envisage space legs being added as a worthwhile addition looking back at the past few years...

I can't count that. The main reason is when horizons was announced they had to do what they said they were going to do, but some of it was just the wrong stuff to develop at the time. Things such as crafting, passanger missions, multicrew should not have been developed then. They should have done the exploration, the mining, the trading tools etc. Things like multicrew can wait in my view. Not really needed until space legs becomes a thing. Passanger missions could have waited too and could do with a lot more depth to them. We really could have done with NPC comms before we got passanger missions.

For me with horizons, the stand out products were Holo-Me (but not really needed) and SLF (not including planetary landings as that was great.

In fact I would say that the trade tools, exploration and mining should have been done in season one instead of powerplay and CQC.

SRV is my space legs!

I would like more planet types to roam on my SRV. Would like to be able to drop mining installations on these worlds like I could back in the day too.

EDIT

I genuinely didn't mean for that to sound flippant! I generally feel like I can stretch my legs when in SRV. I hate travelling without one!

Last edited:
SRV is my space legs!

I would like more planet types to roam on my SRV. Would like to be able to drop mining installations on these worlds like I could back in the day too.

I genuinely didn't mean for that to sound flippant! I generally feel like I can stretch my legs when in SRV. I hate travelling without one!

Definitely would prefer more planet types to roam about on in the SRV rather than space legs for now. Surface mining sounds cool.
I'd like to see a submersible to explore water-worlds or the oceans under ice planets. The engineering mechanics could be incorporated and you could engineer your SRV for the different environments.
Maybe a star wars style speeder bike for forest moons? Imagine that in VR!

Yeah, how about both, space legs and atmo planets. Elite is the only "big" space game not having either of those. All the other well known space games has both, or another of those.

Osiris New Dawn = both
No Mans Sky = both
Empyrion = both
Star Citizen = both
Hellion = space legs
Space Engineers = space legs
X4 = space legs

Just to mention few..

Seconded. Every major space sim has space legs (EVA).

Also Mass Effect and Star Wars games. Because people like to be a character rather than a vehicle.

SRV is my space legs!

The SRV is a vehicle where the player sits in a chair though. It's not the same as being a character and walking around.

Last edited:

Also Mass Effect and Star Wars games. Because people like to be a character rather than a vehicle.

The SRV is a vehicle where the player sits in a chair though. It's not the same as being a character and walking around.
er er er bbbbuuttt you are still planted firmly on your butt while your character lurches around tripping up on unseen rocks or just floating - like an srv ...
M

Must say that while additional planets for an SRV would be interesting, it's not exactly like the planets are filled to the brim with anything exciting.

On the other hand, walking through your ship, out onto the space station to a mission board, then cruising to a capitol ship, boarding it and walking(?) through with a pistol to capture some stolen data for the Dark Wheel sounds a bit more epic than...more screenshots of dead planets and moons. Plus, imagine fleet carriers having the additional gameplay of pvp boarding raids...sort of a Sea of Thieves in space.

Just saying, space legs has amazing potential for gameplay additions without wrecking the game for the classic "I am one with my ship" players.

Must say that while additional planets for an SRV would be interesting, it's not exactly like the planets are filled to the brim with anything exciting.

On the other hand, walking through your ship, out onto the space station to a mission board, then cruising to a capitol ship, boarding it and walking(?) through with a pistol to capture some stolen data for the Dark Wheel sounds a bit more epic than...more screenshots of dead planets and moons. Plus, imagine fleet carriers having the additional gameplay of pvp boarding raids...sort of a Sea of Thieves in space.

Just saying, space legs has amazing potential for gameplay additions without wrecking the game for the classic "I am one with my ship" players.

Ahhhhhhh.... The power of leg tinted glasses...

Why would the things you walk around be "filled to the brim with anything exciting"? And if they are, then why not put all that effort into what we already have, to fill it to the brim with "exciting"?

Last edited:

Why would the things you walk around be "filled to the brim with anything exciting"? And if they are, then why not put all that effort into what we already have, to fill it to the brim with "exciting"?

Personally i think legs adds more as it is a new mechanic, and it open us new missions. Atmospherics seems like a new setting for the stuff we can already do.

Of course there is not any indication that it is an either-or scenario. We could be getting both, or something completely different

Personally i think legs adds more as it is a new mechanic, and it open us new missions. Atmospherics seems like a new setting for the stuff we can already do.

Of course there is not any indication that it is an either-or scenario. We could be getting both, or something completely different

And all FD need do is dedicate lots of development time to incorporating an entire fully functional FPS experience into the game, and then ensure we have a whole new set of worthwhile immersive deep involved missions in FPS format, to make its incorporation and development worthwhile... Simple!

"leg tinted glasses"

ps: I'm not suggesting atmospheric landing is easy. But simlpy trying to rein in this suggestion of space legs as some pancea of gameplay at seemingly no significant design or development cost. Worthwhile space legs will be a HUUUUUUUUGE DEVELOPMENT I suspect. Worse case it will be a small development with the outcome being walking around ships and areas of stations and people getting bored of it in an hour!

Last edited:

A good description. I'm expecting all of the things, and the single piece of information I'm basing this on is the cost of the 2015 LEP. At the time it was put up for sale I think it's clear there was an intention to supply multiple packages, and I hope that plan is still on track. I look forward to finding out more from FDev.

And all FD need do is dedicate lots of development time to incorporating an entire fully functional FPS experience into the game, and then ensure we have a whole new set of worthwhile immersive deep involved missions in FPS format, to make its incorporation and development worthwhile... Simple!

"leg tinted glasses"

ps: I'm not suggesting atmospheric landing is easy. But simlpy trying to rein in this suggestion of space legs as some pancea of gameplay at seemingly no significant design or development cost. Worthwhile space legs will be a HUUUUUUUUGE DEVELOPMENT I suspect. Worse case it will be a small development with the outcome being walking around ships and areas of stations and people getting bored of it in an hour!

What you describe (effectively complete games added into the existing infrastructure) is what I am looking for. It is a lot of work, it will take a lot of time & resource, but FDev have had a lot of time and have a lot of resource to throw at it.

I bow to your opinion, by attacking my vernacular you have shown yourself to have greater judgement and intellect. A simple person like myself could not possibly keep up, well done.

Yeah, how about both, space legs and atmo planets. Elite is the only "big" space game not having either of those. All the other well known space games has both, or another of those.

Osiris New Dawn = both
No Mans Sky = both
Empyrion = both
Star Citizen = both
Hellion = space legs
Space Engineers = space legs
X4 = space legs

Just to mention few..

Yes, BUT WHAT ABOUT..... VEEEEEE ARRRRR? Given the amount of tantrums thrown on these forums when VR things get broken, I can only imagine there being a huge outcry if space legs were implemented and VR wasn't handled properly... or even worse... removed from the game because it costs too much to support their future plans for such a small group of players... or even worse still... amazing features like space legs are dropped from the game because they couldn't decide on how to handle it properly in a mixed VR/non VR environment.

The games mentioned above didn't have to take these things into consideration. And, contrary to what all the "VR Devs" on this forum think, adding support for VR isn't a matter of flipping a switch on your game engine and walking away. Every new feature or change requires dedicated time and money to flesh out properly for both VR and non VR representations.

You want space legs? Well, it might have been here by now if the devs weren't trying to solve stupid VR problems. The standard for FPS locomotion in VR is teleportation using a touch controller. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to see other characters just disappearing and reappearing in another spot. Those shootouts on Pirate stations sure would be interesting! Good luck hitting the players using VR! Well, then you could just force them to use fluid movement, you might say... yea... I could see pictures of keyboards covered in vomit showing up on the forums. I had never been motion sick in my entire life until I played an FPS with smooth movement motion turned on... good lord that's awful!

The standard for FPS locomotion in VR is teleportation using a touch controller. … I had never been motion sick in my entire life until I played an FPS with smooth movement motion turned on... good lord that's awful!

I've played numerous FPS VR games with full-locomotion just fine:
- DOOM VFR
- The Persistence
- Skyrim
- Firewall: Zero Hour
- Farpoint
and so on. If implemented well, and one has their VR-legs, full motion is not only fine, it's the preferred way to play FPS games.

Yes there would be additional dev work to support VR, but the core game already has VR implemented, unlike a flat game trying to refactor to get VR into their game.
I'd imagine the real problem with space-legs is giving enough content to make it seem worthwhile.

Last edited:

Space legs in VR sounds like a puke fest try running around minecraft chasing sheep blaaaahhhh

When are we getting an update to fleet carriers?

You guys posted this months ago on a Friday right before the weekend and have gone silent. Since then we've experience the Cone Sector Failure, and the buggiest release of an update since Horizons. Then everyone went on vacation right after that launch leaving whole player groups to deal with the bugs until they all got back.

Many of us spent huge amounts of time grinding cash and getting ready for fleet carriers, we've supported an incomplete game by spending our time and money on cosmetics.

It's way past time for a update on fleet carriers. A substantial update that says more than SOON. An update where you actually make a commitment to features or a date of release.

When are we getting an update to fleet carriers?

You guys posted this months ago on a Friday right before the weekend and have gone silent. Since then we've experience the Cone Sector Failure, and the buggiest release of an update since Horizons. Then everyone went on vacation right after that launch leaving whole player groups to deal with the bugs until they all got back.

Many of us spent huge amounts of time grinding cash and getting ready for fleet carriers, we've supported an incomplete game by spending our time and money on cosmetics.

It's way past time for a update on fleet carriers. A substantial update that says more than SOON. An update where you actually make a commitment to features or a date of release.

They actually already told you what you want to know. Fleet carriers wont be in until AFTER chapter 4 is finished.

Top Bottom