How to win an election in 3.3?

Question for those who have had recent elections - have you won when you are the challenger, rather than the system controller? The only election we have lost was when we were not in control of the system, post patch, a couple of weeks ago. All actions seemed to favour the control. We have won elections when we were the controller very easily (and won all elections pre-3.0 ofc)

My squad just won our fourth election attempt, and we did it with only two people who ran about a total of 60 missions. After our third attempt at going for the system control right off the bat, we decided to bring up one of the other factions with a station, and won a war for it. We then pushed for the election, had it come up as pending, then lost most of our people to Anthem. I ran like 5 missions on the second day while the other player had ran around 20 the day before. That day we were winning a close victory. Then we both independently decided to go out exploring. We both came back on the fourth day and saw that the faction was now winning a complete victory despite us not being there and no one else from our squad even being in the game. We both then ran a few missions just to make sure that we stayed on top of things and then the next day the system was ours.

The current thought in the squad is that gaining the smaller station somehow helped push our NPCs with running election-related missions, and the fact that a couple players had also ran missions boosted it further. There's also a chance that there were other players helping us, but I never saw any in our star system on the PS4 so they would of been on one of the other game systems.

Question for those who have had recent elections - have you won when you are the challenger, rather than the system controller?

The current thought in the squad is that gaining the smaller station somehow helped push our NPCs with running election-related missions,

Interesting. I have seen one example since 3.3 of a system being won in an election - but the winner did also own a station in that case.

Interesting. I have seen one example since 3.3 of a system being won in an election - but the winner did also own a station in that case.

Can second that. We won System control when we had ourselves another asset already.

Any other attempt to take System control where we held nothing else was unsuccessful.

Maybe that's something that got changed. Now to get a system both sides have to have skin in the game, so to speak.
Doesn't seem to apply to War - I've seen a couple of single-station systems change hands in those.

Which does give a workaround, I guess, if you need to take a single-station system: push an NPC faction of a different ethos to fight a War for control, then fight that faction yourself.

I wonder if last week's change in how conflict progress was counted will have affected this for elections - suitable cases are rare in this part of space.

Could it just be that station-owner benefiting actions, such as normal trade, exploration data, etc. have been given an increased weight in the calculations, rather than missions being the goto way to win?

Plus the benefits of being the system controller, such as the vast majority of handed-in bounties, first page on the mission board, etc.

Doesn't seem to apply to War - I've seen a couple of single-station systems change hands in those.

Which does give a workaround, I guess, if you need to take a single-station system: push an NPC faction of a different ethos to fight a War for control, then fight that faction yourself.

I wonder if last week's change in how conflict progress was counted will have affected this for elections - suitable cases are rare in this part of space.

We have had no issues with wars, regardless of assets or not. Only in election.
Thanks for replies all.

We've been going through the exact same issues in our system. Here's the summary of our findings so far. I don't deem them 100% accurate, but that's the conclusion of past few weeks of logging. Some of these have already been reported on this forum. Tested in a low-pop system with almost no "foreign" traffic let alone opposition. The CF controls all assets while we have none.

- The courier poll data missions favour the CF no matter the amount turned in. Ditto for the peacetime courier missions, they increase the influence and economic growth of the CF, not ours.
- Before the fix, the CF would gain two positions in a single tick provided they'd already won 2 days of conflict (the first two were not necessarily won in a row).
- PAX missions do not help win the elections. During peacetime, they give a huge boost in INF to another single pre-determined faction in the system not involved in the transaction.
- Doing nothing during the elections only favours the CF.
- Doing only a few of the above missions during the elections favours the CF.
- Doing literally hundreds of poll data missions favours the CF.
- Donation missions appear to be the only non-combat action that adds influence to our faction. Combat bonds are the other. We have yet to test whether the elections can be won via donation missions alone.
- Chain missions that follow the donation missions seem to also increase the influence of our PMF.
- Assassination missions improve the security status of the CF, while ours remains unchanged.

This recent BGS fix only made things much worse since now we cannot go more than 2-3% in influence per tick, while it was possible to gain 10% of influence without effort before then. Never had issues with wars/civil wars either, it's the elections and influence allocation that are a PITA.

We've been going through the exact same issues in our system. Here's the summary of our findings so far. I don't deem them 100% accurate, but that's the conclusion of past few weeks of logging. Some of these have already been reported on this forum. Tested in a low-pop system with almost no "foreign" traffic let alone opposition. The CF controls all assets while we have none.

• The courier poll data missions favour the CF no matter the amount turned in. Ditto for the peacetime courier missions, they increase the influence and economic growth of the CF, not ours.
  • Before the fix, the CF would gain two positions in a single tick provided they'd already won 2 days of conflict (the first two were not necessarily won in a row).
  • PAX missions do not help win the elections. During peacetime, they give a huge boost in INF to another single pre-determined faction in the system not involved in the transaction.
  • Doing nothing during the elections only favours the CF.
  • Doing only a few of the above missions during the elections favours the CF.
  • Doing literally hundreds of poll data missions favours the CF.
  • Donation missions appear to be the only non-combat action that adds influence to our faction. Combat bonds are the other. We have yet to test whether the elections can be won via donation missions alone.
  • Chain missions that follow the donation missions seem to also increase the influence of our PMF.
  • Assassination missions improve the security status of the CF, while ours remains unchanged.

This recent BGS fix only made things much worse since now we cannot go more than 2-3% in influence per tick, while it was possible to gain 10% of influence without effort before then. Never had issues with wars/civil wars either, it's the elections and influence allocation that are a PITA.
Jesus, do these issues still persist? I'm trying to win an election in a low pop system, around 1800 ppl. No matter how many missions I turn in I just can't win a single day.

Jesus, do these issues still persist? I'm trying to win an election in a low pop system, around 1800 ppl. No matter how many missions I turn in I just can't win a single day.

Didn't happen in a recent Election we won. There was unexpected opposition along the way... but as it stood I just needed to slog it out a bit harder. Note... population won't have any impact on the amount of effort needed to win/lose the election.

Note that the post was from almost 3 months ago and reporting events from earlier still. It sounds like some of the issues that existed at the start of the year and were subsequently fixed.

Been out of the loop for a while, what is the current status with elections as my minor faction is just about to come into one?

Been out of the loop for a while, what is the current status with elections as my minor faction is just about to come into one?
Broadly:
- do as many non-combat actions for the side you want to win as you can
- don't do any for the side you want to lose, hope no-one else does either
- combat actions (e.g. bounties, crimes) have no effect
- ends when either side gets to 4 days won, or whoever is ahead after 7 days
- influence frozen for the duration of the election for both factions, monitor success from the right panel status reports

The bugs and other oddities reported earlier in this thread seem to have been fixed.

Broadly:
- do as many non-combat actions for the side you want to win as you can

- combat actions (e.g. bounties, crimes) have no effect
Just to clarify on these two points... Assassination/Massacre missions do have an effect, because they're missions, not "combat actions". Any bounties/crimes and the like won't have any effect like Ian said, but the act of completing the mission does (all missions help).

So I'm trying to help a faction that is currently in election status. They own no assets in the system, nor do the faction they are in election with.

How do I see who is winning the election each day?
As the influences seem locked for both election factions how can I tell if my actions / missions are making any difference?

I'm new to BGS (well actively taking part in BGS) I'm also not sure how to judge the influence increase the various missions have on the faction i'm supporting.

As the faction I'm supporting have no assets in the system I'm only taking missions from them (no trading or bounty hunting), mainly election data missions but I have no idea if this is working or not.

A couple more...my long term aim after this rather pointless election is to increase the influence of the faction I'm supporting to match the CF then trigger a war for control of a station, how do I know which station is up for grabs, also how do you match influence to exactly the same %. Doesn't that take real precision...the BGS seems to clunky for that kind of precision.

So I'm trying to help a faction that is currently in election status. They own no assets in the system, nor do the faction they are in election with.

How do I see who is winning the election each day?
As the influences seem locked for both election factions how can I tell if my actions / missions are making any difference?

I'm new to BGS (well actively taking part in BGS) I'm also not sure how to judge the influence increase the various missions have on the faction i'm supporting.

As the faction I'm supporting have no assets in the system I'm only taking missions from them (no trading or bounty hunting), mainly election data missions but I have no idea if this is working or not.

A couple more...my long term aim after this rather pointless election is to increase the influence of the faction I'm supporting to match the CF then trigger a war for control of a station, how do I know which station is up for grabs, also how do you match influence to exactly the same %. Doesn't that take real precision...the BGS seems to clunky for that kind of precision.
Short answers:
Go to status pane on right, select faction in election. You'll see a bar graph of progress. It only updates each daily tick like all bgs progress.

Any mission will work, in my experience. Even assassination and massacre missions as noted above.

The election isn't necessarily pointless... they only trigger if an asset can be obtained by winning the conflict. Again, you can see what asset is up as a prize on the status menu i mentioned before. (It'll say attack for an asset you can win, defend for an asset you can lose)

Got it thx...very useful.

I also noticed that in the local news, within the faction news they mention how many days they have dominated the election.

Good news is we're winning convincingly...not sure how many more days the election is due to run, it was active when I came to the system a few days ago...can't be much longer.

I also noticed that in the local news, within the faction news they mention how many days they have dominated the election.

Good news is we're winning convincingly...not sure how many more days the election is due to run, it was active when I came to the system a few days ago...can't be much longer.
Note the news is bugged... a draw results in a day of domination for both sides. At least ... last i looked.

If you're getting regular updates to EDDN via your or other's visits, then https://elitebgs.app/ shows state start/end dates, conflict progress for each side, etc.
I can't recommend that site too much for BGS work 👍

Top Bottom