How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

I thought I had ED running again via Steam (Proton Experimental) after manually creating a missing directory in the prefix (..._evidencehere), but after installing Odyssey now the launcher immediately pops up saying an update is required, and that I have to do it through Steam (with instructions to set the game to "high priority update" and restart Steam to nudge it, I guess). Closing that dialogue forces the whole launcher to exit, and yet Steam still offers no update after ~8 hours now.

Anyone else experiencing this or have any ideas?

There's one thing that makes Odyssey totally unplayable for me under Proton (tried all latest versions, including GE, from 5.0 - 6.5). If I open and close the Galaxy or System map while staying on the station, I get 1-2 FPS at max after this. The only way to fix this is to restart the game completely. I don't have Windows installed to check how the game works there (and don't plan to install it just for it). It drives me crazy because overall the game is playable, and only the map bug breaks the whole experience. :c

My system specs:
Single monitor (2560x1440)
GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb
Ryzen 5 1600
16 gb RAM

Does anyone have the same problem?
Experiencing this as well on the latest proton.

I've found a sort of work around for this. Switch to System map, let it load and switch back to cockpit view. Might take 2 or 3 tries but it usually switches back to my normal fps afterwards and is way better than having to restart the game every time.

Still would be interesting to see if this is a proton only issue.

Experiencing this as well on the latest proton.

I've found a sort of work around for this. Switch to System map, let it load and switch back to cockpit view. Might take 2 or 3 tries but it usually switches back to my normal fps afterwards and is way better than having to restart the game every time.

Still would be interesting to see if this is a proton only issue.

It's not just a Proton thing - it's a WINE thing. Proton being a patched version of WINE anyway.

I run EDO/EDH under WINE and experience the exact same issue with FPS - for me though it's going into the System Map which eventually fries the FPS - seems to be a combination of factors though - notably being on-foot, then viewing the system map.

Running mangohud shows me that VRAM very quickly gets filled up, and after going into the system map and exiting it the GPU is then stuck at 100%, which is when the FPS plummets to slideshow mode.

Other threads and youtubers have pointed out that in EDO no occlusion culling is being performed like it is in EDH, this is also another big factor.

In summary;
  • No occlusion culling means an order of magnitude more work for the GPU
  • The above is probably contributing to VRAM very quickly being eaten up
  • Texture loading in the system map may also be contributing to VRAM nomming
  • There might also be some bit of System Map code which is not stopping whatever work its doing, even after the System Map is closed, which could also be eating up GPU usage and VRAM

I'm going to wait for a bit for FDEV to sort EDO out before continuing to play, and also before I start doing any work on Captain's Log.

o7

Confirming that using 6.99 of winemono I was able to run odyssey under proton with no further tweaking necessary. Looks amazing and decent FPS too!
A new official release of wine-mono was made this morning; version 6.2.0. This runs the launcher.

When testing with the latest commit of wine, I also noticed corefonts is no longer needed. So once they make 6.2.0 the default wine-mono version for wine, then you will be able to run Elite Dangerous without any winetricks or wine-mono installs (although DXVK would still be recommened).

A new official release of wine-mono was made this morning; version 6.2.0. This runs the launcher.

When testing with the latest commit of wine, I also noticed corefonts is no longer needed. So once they make 6.2.0 the default wine-mono version for wine, then you will be able to run Elite Dangerous without any winetricks or wine-mono installs (although DXVK would still be recommened).
or this one and no mono needed at all:
...however, last time I tried it tried to go in separated own prefix. Any way only launcher needs mono, so no big deal which to use. It's closed once game started.

With latest odyssey patch, i'm getting an unhandled page fault when trying to run the game in the latest version of proton. Anyone else?

It updated the game, but since then it wont even verify files without page faulting and crashing.

edit: nevermind, momentary glitch it seems .. clicked on horizons (but didn't launch) then back to odyssey and now it launches without error.

Last edited:
Top Bottom