How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

Ok, So, I successfully engaged the login/logout features using the stock mono from proton experimental

I did this a little hackish way though. I had a user.cfg from the launcher when i was using an older version of proton and everything still worked. The user.cfg has your current login email address and a hashed password (which is the same as the hashed machine id it also has) As opposed to the empty values the steam user.cfg gets.

Replacing the user.cfg in the launcher folder (under local settings / application data / etc), caused the launcher to load with my email address up in the top right showing (but it was still basically logged in as my steam account and would run the game as such.

But since the email address is up in the top right now, i can click it and select "log out" and go thru the normal login process just perfectly fine. Now, the launcher is associated with my direct frontier account like i want.

So there is a semi-functional workaround ... so long as you have a user.cfg with login credentials so that you can get that email address in the top right to login/logout .

The "Options" menu logout button is still non-functional . You need the email address up in the window border.

Some some additional tests with proton-experimental and latest odyssey beta

Frame rate has improved drastically from my proton 5.10 + previous beta i was running. I can sustain ultra framerates of 60+ in heavily populated npc areas in the station concourse and hit my 90fps cap most of the time walking around. Before, i was doing maybe half that framerate walking around.

The beta is actually somewhat playable in a normal manner now.

Tested the normal game in VR.. buttery smooth (not necessary more or less than 5.10 but definitely better than 5.13). I can only hope that once the beta nears release it gets to the performance level of horizons because VR is the best way to experience the game. Even if i dont play in it when not dogfighting all the time.

I haven't been following this for awhile, when I did manage to get it running I was left with two things which weren't working:

TrackIR
CH Pro Pedals.

I was running through Steam and that may have been a cause for the pedals not working.
Not tried it in awhile though, and my 6TB drive is getting quite full lol.

For mesa people: A workaround for POLARIS cards has ended up in git for 21.0.4. Real fix will be in 21.1.1 (But the workaround will not be in 21.1.0). For people with newer cards (RX 5000+) A fix is in and should work indefinitely.

I'm using a dual boot configuration. Would it be possible to run the currently installed ED game when booting into Linux using Wine?

I'm using a dual boot configuration. Would it be possible to run the currently installed ED game when booting into Linux using Wine?

It would be possible, yes.
I don't do this myself, preferring to have the game files on my linux filesystem.

But I imagine it could be done by doing something like;

• mounting your Windows fs
  • creating a WINE prefix
  • installing the ED launcher
  • starting, but not completing the game client download from the launcher
  • linking the linux-end Products directory to the Windows-fs-end Products directory

You'd need to make sure your Windows fs mount is writeable and you trust reading and especially writing to the presumably NTFS fs is reliable.

In terms of sharing files between Winduhs & Linux I kind of do something similar with X-Plane 11 and the GBs of OrbX scenery I use so that the Winduhs & Linux versions of X-Plane get to use it.

Dual booter here as well - not had chance to try and of this yet, if you have any success, be sure to post back here as it would save some disk space for me too.

I strongly suggest not using the windows partition as a wine prefix as described in the last couple posts if you want to avoid having your own copy of the game data files for linux.

I'd go with symlinking the game files to a wine prefix that exists in linux. You probably dont want wine to be writing to any registry files that actual windows will be using.

You could also symlink the folders where save files (player journal / etc) are saved to ...but i would keep the game configs separate if possible as you may have different configs from windows and linux (different controller device enumerations, etc).

Really, all of that is way more trouble than just having a separate install for linux, and never dual booting into windows :)

I strongly suggest not using the windows partition as a wine prefix as described in the last couple posts if you want to avoid having your own copy of the game data files for linux.

I'd go with symlinking the game files to a wine prefix that exists in linux. You probably dont want wine to be writing to any registry files that actual windows will be using.

That's what I suggested! :)

You could also symlink the folders where save files (player journal / etc) are saved to ...but i would keep the game configs separate if possible as you may have different configs from windows and linux (different controller device enumerations, etc).

Really, all of that is way more trouble than just having a separate install for linux, and never dual booting into windows :)

The Steam launcher does seem to need dot net 4.5.2 to run, but the stand alone launcher does not seem to need 4.5.2.

Using an old version of wine (i used 5.0.2) worked to get 4.5.2 installer to run, and then switching back to the latest versions of wine/proton after building the prefix works.

To get steam/proton to accept .binds files generated by vanilla wine and the standalone launcher the instances of DeviceIndex="x" needed to be deleted from the .binds file.

In VR increasing the frame rate limit from the default to a much higher limit (120+ ) also helps performance. The overhead of dxvk/wine seem to make the frames just miss their timing at the 90 fps limit which leads to the headset only using 45 fps. Setting the higher limit seems to more or less fix this.

There's one thing that makes Odyssey totally unplayable for me under Proton (tried all latest versions, including GE, from 5.0 - 6.5). If I open and close the Galaxy or System map while staying on the station, I get 1-2 FPS at max after this. The only way to fix this is to restart the game completely. I don't have Windows installed to check how the game works there (and don't plan to install it just for it). It drives me crazy because overall the game is playable, and only the map bug breaks the whole experience. :c

My system specs:
Single monitor (2560x1440)
GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb
Ryzen 5 1600
16 gb RAM

Does anyone have the same problem?

Last edited:
There's one thing that makes Odyssey totally unplayable for me under Proton (tried all latest versions, including GE, from 5.0 - 6.5). If I open and close the Galaxy or System map while staying on the station, I get 1-2 FPS at max after this. The only way to fix this is to restart the game completely. I don't have Windows installed to check how the game works there (and don't plan to install it just for it). It drives me crazy because overall the game is playable, and only the map bug breaks the whole experience. :c

My system specs:
Single monitor (2560x1440)
GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb
Ryzen 5 1600
16 gb RAM

Does anyone have the same problem?

Aha! You're not the only one this happens to.

I had a hypothesis that it was specifically the System Map which caused the FPS loss. After testing it I can confirm it is indeed the System Map.

Whilst in Odyssey and on foot in a starport:
Before entering System Map, FPS is 30+ FPS (not great but still usable), GPU usage is maybe about 40-something %
Whilst in System Map, FPS and GPU usage are still fine.
Exiting System Map: FPS drops to 12 or below FPS, GPU usage is spiked at 100%, VRAM usage at almost the full 8GB of my RTX 2070 Super.

I suspect the same happens on Windows, and contributes to FPS loss on Windows as well, but isn't as exaggerated as on linux/WINE/Proton.

Aha! You're not the only one this happens to.

I had a hypothesis that it was specifically the System Map which caused the FPS loss. After testing it I can confirm it is indeed the System Map.

Whilst in Odyssey and on foot in a starport:
Before entering System Map, FPS is 30+ FPS (not great but still usable), GPU usage is maybe about 40-something %
Whilst in System Map, FPS and GPU usage are still fine.
Exiting System Map: FPS drops to 12 or below FPS, GPU usage is spiked at 100%, VRAM usage at almost the full 8GB of my RTX 2070 Super.

I suspect the same happens on Windows, and contributes to FPS loss on Windows as well, but isn't as exaggerated as on linux/WINE/Proton.
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one! :D It would be nice if someone who has this problem on Linux could also dual-boot on the same hardware and check whether the problem persits on Windows or not. The only hope for us to get it fixed is at least one reporter with the same problem on Windows, because Linux is still unsupported and FDev would never fix the Linux-specific bugs. Honestly, I would even check it myself, but my setup is too complicated (due to full-disk encryption) to install Windows on it.

Last edited:
windows users have been posting about frame rate tanking while on foot with some phantom thing killing performance (their gpu and cpu monitors dont seem to show high usage).

I haven't experienced massive framerate hits but i didn't go poking into the system map while on foot ...nor am i near civilization.

I did experience fps drops below 90fps in foggy asteroid rings. Horizons didn't do that.

I think we'll see fairly garbage framerate until console launch. This is a beta until then.

My FPS are the same as the Alpha. I just did a test at a Guardians site:
Horizons: 140+ FPS
Odyssey: 40+ FPS
This is from a launch of game ( ie not Gal map or System maps being opened ) I tried deleting my Graphics settings folder and redoing my settings( as per one suggest ) but made no difference. This is all on Windows.

I'm still trying & failing to get ED:O working on Linux - I did have Horizons working for a while. I've been trying with Wine+Proton+Steam but the EDLauncher is failing to run.

My FPS are the same as the Alpha. I just did a test at a Guardians site:
Horizons: 140+ FPS
Odyssey: 40+ FPS
This is from a launch of game ( ie not Gal map or System maps being opened ) I tried deleting my Graphics settings folder and redoing my settings( as per one suggest ) but made no difference. This is all on Windows.

I'm still trying & failing to get ED:O working on Linux - I did have Horizons working for a while. I've been trying with Wine+Proton+Steam but the EDLauncher is failing to run.

out and about flying around all normal like i get my 90fps cap. Until i hit a foggy roid ring.

Landing on the surface of a planet and walking around, my framerate was in the 80's most of the time i believe (i'll check again today) but the planet had no structures (i'm out where there is no game content). Just my ship.

My experience in the alpha wasn't terribly bad either but i only visited the concourse and such. amd 3900x and gpu: amd 5700xt with graphics maxed at 1080p.
Haven't tried VR yet in the new release. I imagine it wont be as smooth as horizons. And even where i'm hitting my 90fps cap, i'm sure my gpu is working harder to do it than in horizons.

edit: i use steam experimental proton release to play the game. There was a launcher update in horizons a little while back that made old setups with .net4 no longer work. You can play the game without installing .net if you use a very new version of proton. however switching proton versions resets your prefix so you will want to backup settings folders and such and copy them back in after steam re-installs the launcher in the new prefix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom