How (not to) use rail guns:

you can get them engineering experimentals that reduce the heat by 50%
as they are hot anyway, you could replace 1 with a laser or mc and add a thermal vent or conduit experimental to that, to either reduce or to utilize the heat
and not knowing more all I can add is make sure power plant is A grade(for heat reasons), and maybe use a heat sink...
turning or boosting while firing adds more to the heat

there is always a way to use them without too much heat..put them on diff fire groups and alternate between, gives more time to cool and looks cool if you time it right

I'm waiting for s doubled engineered Wake Scanner in a CG. when that happens 200,000 or more players across the world are going to go nuts getting it.
You will need a quadruple engineered power plant for that though. Great responsibility comes with great power. I'm personally waiting for a discovery scanner with a death honk.

Can I clarify and state that I failed to land a single shot with the railguns?

There were a couple of Asp Scouts I did manage to kill in the same session. Not sure if that means I'm not that bad with railguns or if it just shows how terrible the Asp Scout is.

My friends bagged the kill without me even aggroing the target. Incidentally, I was so focused on trying to line up the shots that I failed to notice that heat damage had destroyed most of the ship's modules- including life support. Forgot to screenshot that, sadly.

I'm a decent PVE pilot normally, I found my seeming ineptitude with railguns to be highly amusing.

I'm a decent PVE pilot normally, I found my seeming ineptitude with railguns to be highly amusing.
Just hang in there. Rails are easier to get used to than PA's (for me that is). Maintain some range between you and the target, the closer your target gets, the more you start missing your target.
Also, look for the moments when your targets path is most predictable. Usually, its just after a boost.

Can I clarify and state that I failed to land a single shot with the railguns?../
HOTAS controls are awful at this. Awesome for flying but awful for precise targeting. Bind your fire controls to the mouse much more accurate and the HOTAS fire buttons still works. Most serious players using fixed weapons fire with a mouse. It is a game actually designed using a mouse then added HOTAS support later. Trust me a basic mouse works better than the most expensive joystick you ever purchased. Go figure.

On the other hand if you are awful with a HOTAS or a mouse then learning to play a piano it is about practice, practice and did I mention practice? I can play piano and keyboards no problem with many styles. Then I tried guitars and don't think that my medium fingers are lone enough. Oh well.

Last edited:
Just hang in there. Rails are easier to get used to than PA's (for me that is). Maintain some range between you and the target, the closer your target gets, the more you start missing your target.
Also, look for the moments when your targets path is most predictable. Usually, its just after a boost.
I can manage PA's well enough, my multirole Corvette has a bottom mounted large that I installed after getting fed up with NPC chaff affecting my burst laser turrets. I can land shots consistently on larger ships, the chaffing Anacondas were the biggest annoyance. Smaller ships die to turrets and the dual huge multicannons.

Might be the speed, though. I did try a dual PA Vulture at one point, had similar aiming and heat issues. Great damage, though.

It's handy for cooking snacks on the go. (you need some efficiency engineering :))
The ship has one grade of Overcharged since I ran out of the material for G2 and has the cargo hatch turned off. It was less of a serious build and more a case of:

1. One of my friends had hopped on for the first time in a couple of months so we were all a bit giddy.
2. The death machine was getting a bit old, even the MOAR DAKKA 7 multicannon gunship was losing its charm.
3. The other two were flying eagles anyway.
4. 'Eagles have terrible damage, hey, what about railguns?'
5. 'I haven't flown an eagle in ages. What was it like again?'

There were a couple of Asp Scouts I did manage to kill in the same session. Not sure if that means I'm not that bad with railguns or if it just shows how terrible the Asp Scout is.

Why not both? You'll get the hang of it. o7

HOTAS controls are awful at this. Awesome for flying but awful for precise targeting.

HOSAS/T here, I have no issue. I run ships built around Rails and ships built around PAs and do well with all of them?

Do mice have a slight accuracy advantage? Yeah, but they also suck for flying and they just aren't fun.

Next community goal they will problly hand out long range plasma slugged shield canceling thermal vents. We're almost there....
Can the "evil" side also have a 4billion cred reward ? I still want to buy a carrier, and I'm flexible about my morals.

I can manage PA's well enough, my multirole Corvette has a bottom mounted large that I installed after getting fed up with NPC chaff affecting my burst laser turrets. I can land shots consistently on larger ships, the chaffing Anacondas were the biggest annoyance. Smaller ships die to turrets and the dual huge multicannons.
Also, you need to have a stable platform, and Eagles are not the most stable ones 😏
Bricks like the Dropship or a Gunship are awesome vessels to learn the ropes on.

HOSAS/T here, I have no issue. I run ships built around Rails and ships built around PAs and do well with all of them?

Do mice have a slight accuracy advantage? Yeah, but they also suck for flying and they just aren't fun.

PS4 DUALSHOCK is worse. Left stick controls lateral movement, right stick controls pitch. I do ok with PAs. With rails the spin-up time kills my accuracy. Micro adjustments are what get me. I'll get better with them with more practice, I'm sure, but controller isn't making it any easier.

A mouse with fixed weapons is more accurate and stable versus a HOTAS and easier to hit the target but don't believe me. Try it out for 2 hours in ED getting use to it then decide which works best. We all hate change.

Console controllers are literally the worst. I use an Xbox controller for simple play when away from home and boy does it hurts. I can pretty much only stomach running some ED errands on it. My condolences.

I do like controllers for action games, but for shooters and games where precision targeting is involved, K&M murder controllers.

The nicest thing about the PS4 controller in ED is how the "head look" action functions with the motion control.

A mouse with fixed weapons is more accurate and stable versus a HOTAS and easier to hit the target but don't believe me. Try it out for 2 hours in ED getting use to it then decide which works best. We all hate change.

I clearly said mice have an accuracy advantage, that's not my point. Due to the rate of fire and charging of Rails, the accuracy advantage mice do have (snappy acquisition) really doesn't help. I can already land Rails accurately about as fast as they can fire. Flight and FPS combat is vastly different. Super snappy acquisition matters very little in spaceship games, and that is where mice really excel, hence them dominating FPS.

Then there's the matter of; great, you have the accurate mouse, how do you access your bindings? A keyboard? So now you're telling me you're the more capable pilot when you don't even have analog control of your vert/lat thrusters? Just gonna hamfist your thrusters with quick chops of MAXPOWR, I imagine the landings are slick.

Nah. I'm good with HOSAS/T. I take pleasure in flying.

I tried railgun on my krait MK2, M&K, and it was very hard to line a shot properly. Must be me, but yeah, it was bad^^

I tried railgun on my krait MK2, M&K, and it was very hard to line a shot properly. Must be me, but yeah, it was bad^^

First, always target a module. Rails gain a micro-gimbal effect when a module is targeted.

Second, you'll get better fast. It's mostly getting used to timing the charge-up. Once you get it down, chaff will make you laugh. o7

I clearly said mice have an accuracy advantage, that's not my point. Due to the rate of fire and charging of Rails, the accuracy advantage mice do have (snappy acquisition) really doesn't help. I can already land Rails accurately about as fast as they can fire. Flight and FPS combat is vastly different. Super snappy acquisition matters very little in spaceship games, and that is where mice really excel, hence them dominating FPS.

Then there's the matter of; great, you have the accurate mouse, how do you access your bindings? A keyboard? So now you're telling me you're the more capable pilot when you don't even have analog control of your vert/lat thrusters? Just gonna hamfist your thrusters with quick chops of MAXPOWR, I imagine the landings are slick.

Nah. I'm good with HOSAS/T. I take pleasure in flying.
Other players may not agree with you. With fixed weapons mice are much more accurate with MANY posts on the Forum for years. Accessing the bindings between a mouse, a keyboard, a HOTAS and say an old Logitech G13 works as long as they are all connected when a player starts ED. Your turn.

The Forum is not about what one player thinks works but discussing what works and with conversation finding out after playing the game for years thinking that we knew it all we missed something. Seven years I've played this game and some noob shows up with a Forum post I never considered. I love this learning something new.. I don't post on the Forum satisfying my ego but helping others for the love of the game not that I know everything only my play style.. Do you agree?

Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom