How FDEV could've made the difference with Odyssey.

Every time I see the term Alpha being used I raise my brows because imho what's been released these last couple weeks as a tryout can't realy be called an Alpha but rather a close to release Beta.
Hoping for drastic additions or changes when fully released is wishfull thinking imho, we've passed that station before in the past and came out pretty empty handed im my opinion.

From what I've seen so far Odyssey won't be worth my 40 euros, fortunately it won't be released on console any time soon so I'll have plenty of time to see were this is going.
By a technical standpoint it was an alpha, and not anywhere close to be a beta (good luck to the devs for the deploy-in-production day without having ever seriously tested a recent build).
However you're right that we shouldn't expect anything much different on the gameplay side from the release build.
It'll "just" be a technical improvement (hopefully) and some "minor" addition, with a blind release.

Last edited:
From a purely mechanical standpoint, I don’t see there being any major changes beyond known ones (planetary tech, foot engineers). From a prudence standpoint, they should not add engine changes that are completely uncovered by the alpha.

But it’s pretty easy for them to add assets that add to gameplay. Variety of buildings, concourses, maybe a ship or SRV, aliens. New mission types seem do-able, the only issue for trade might be how to pick up anything larger than a box. (Ferry loads with a SRV?) Since those assets don’t affect the core engine testing, no need to include them in the alpha.

To what extent those new assets are adding to Odyssey beyond what was already seen in the alpha will almost certainly be determined by the eye of the beholder.

And on the exploring side, I disagree that there’s nothing there - at least for casual explorers like myself. The first footfall tag and plant scanning now gives a greater incentive to land, instead of the jump-(scoop)-scan-repeat routine. It’s the feature I’m going to try out first.

And on the exploring side, I disagree that there’s nothing there - at least for casual explorers like myself. The first footfall tag and plant scanning now gives a greater incentive to land, instead of the jump-(scoop)-scan-repeat routine. It’s the feature I’m going to try out
No we are not in a disagreement. In fact we both agree that legs plus the new planetary tech will add a new layer of immersion for exploration.
But not gameplay until they maybe create a new gameloop for the new scanner

But not gameplay until they maybe create a new gameloop for the new scanner

We don't need more gameloops to pad time spent, we need content. We'd be far better off with procedurally generated plants stemming from a pool of a few hundred base parts than we would be with a less-irritating scanner mini game to use on 40 static plants to get our name, maybe but very unlikely, slapped in a codex that few care for and some pitiful CRs that are virtually worthless anyhow.

1. Its not a bolt on.
2. Its more then functional.
3. Could be better though.
4. It hasn't been released yet, so could be better.
1. In my opinion, it is.
2. If you say so, I don't agree
3. Agreed
4. Agreed the full version is not out yet, and FDEV has something held back for their typical "surprise" aspect, so sure, it might be better, you're right, but (and this is the whole crux of my comment on thread) given FDEVs track record, in my opinion, aim low and hopefully you won't be dissapointed.

Your opinion does not invalidate mine; nor does mine invalidate yours.

Been watching posts and videos from a safe distance for a while now, as an ex-console player. For me, there's 4 main parts of Odyssey:

FPS: Absolutely no interest in this. Other games do this much better. I wanted space legs as in EVA. We've got land-legs with no-cover-FPS in 2021.

Exploration: As I feared, bare-bones. The on-foot exploration in NMS is pure Shakespeare compared to Odyssey. Massive missed opportunities here. Where are the underground caves? The lava flows? The shaking of ground caused by earthquakes? The new SRVs? All MIA. Instead we have 'scan da plant' and all we get is the name of the thing and some credits. Its not enough and not worthy of a new ranking system.

nuPlanet-Tech: Looks very nice.....but where's the gameplay with that? Its great for generating pretty pictures, but at that point you might as well look at pictures from NASA's web site, its free compared to Odyssey and provides the same amount of gameplay content.

In-station interiors: Was able to do more in Mass Effect 1, 15 years ago. No NPCs interacting with each other, no ability to take a seat, no ability to buy a drink from space bars, or even greet fellow Commanders. No NPCs watching Galnet News articles, reacting with comments like 'Did you see what Hudson did?!?'. No annoying kids running around, with System Authority running after them shouting 'Git back here!'. Just....NPCs standing there, representing options from the existing mission board. It looks.......stale.

So, for me, that's 1 good feature (nuPlanet-Tech) out of 4, for an DLC which has been in development for 2+ years. I'll be spending my money on content for other games, sadly there nothing in Odyssey to drag me back to this game.

Last edited:
For a 'bolt-on' it appears to be pretty well integrated into the rest of the game.
Tonight's stream had some interesting 'tidbits' given out too.
As an optional DLC though it has in some sense to be a bolt-on. That it also seems to integrate well is a credit to the devs. I don't regret the purchase but I hope it's not the endpoint, that would represent a missed opportunity.

As an optional DLC though it has in some sense to be a bolt-on. That it also seems to integrate well is a credit to the devs. I don't regret the purchase but I hope it's not the endpoint, that would represent a missed opportunity.
If we take the comment (which I can't honestly remember the source - else I'd link it) that the code has been changed to make further expansion easier, maybe we are at the beginning of the 'new ear' Odyssey was first marketed as, but I am as uninformed as the rest of us, so am just looking at it as possible.

I suppose Horizons was a 'bolt-on' in its time too.

Been watching posts and videos from a safe distance for a while now, as an ex-console player. For me, there's 4 main parts of Odyssey:

FPS: Absolutely no interest in this. Other games do this much better. I wanted space legs as in EVA. We've got land-legs with no-cover-FPS in 2021.

Exploration: As I feared, bare-bones. The on-foot exploration in NMS is pure Shakespeare compared to Odyssey. Massive missed opportunities here. Where are the underground caves? The lava flows? The shaking of ground caused by earthquakes? The new SRVs? All MIA. Instead we have 'scan da plant' and all we get is the name of the thing and some credits. Its not enough and not worthy of a new ranking system.

nuPlanet-Tech: Looks very nice.....but where's the gameplay with that? Its great for generating pretty pictures, but at that point you might as well look at pictures from NASA's web site, its free compared to Odyssey and provides the same amount of gameplay content.

In-station interiors: Was able to do more in Mass Effect 1, 15 years ago. No NPCs interacting with each other, no ability to take a seat, no ability to buy a drink from space bars, or even greet fellow Commanders. No NPCs watching Galnet News articles, reacting with comments like 'Did you see what Hudson did?!?'. No annoying kids running around, with System Authority running after them shouting 'Git back here!'. Just....NPCs standing there, representing options from the existing mission board. It looks.......stale.

So, for me, that's 1 good feature (nuPlanet-Tech) out of 4, for an DLC which has been in development for 2+ years. I'll be spending my money on content for other games, sadly there nothing in Odyssey to drag me back to this game.
Exactly my opinion, the NMS reference included!

Yes it is. Definitely a bolt on.

Even the currencies are different to upgrade and you can buy 10 sidewinders for the price of a gun. Really they were thinking integration when they built it :p Sphere of combat maybe?
In the Alpha. We shall see what it's like in release. There is plenty of Integration. You just haven't noticed it yet, or you are deliberately ignoring it. I'm not sure which yet.

If we take the comment (which I can't honestly remember the source - else I'd link it) that the code has been changed to make further expansion easier, maybe we are at the beginning of the 'new ear' Odyssey was first marketed as, but I am as uninformed as the rest of us, so am just looking at it as possible.

If we could see a road map I'd see the rails being layed down for an increasingly bright future in EDO, and be excited despite not caring much for what is initially on the plate.

Alas, we do not, so I can only see what they show. FPS w/cactus scanning.

Top Bottom