How FDEV could've made the difference with Odyssey.

From what I saw of it in the alpha I liked it.

Oh thats nice. I think its exactly the same as every frontier patch....

If you have zero expectations, it will exceed them. If you hope for the patch to meet indutry standards or more you'll probably be disappointed.

The zero expectations actually works, so that's what i'll be doing. Of course that means hype is invalid but, i would if i could.

Please remember that the Alpha was a slice of all the basic mechanics. What it will be like live its a bit difficult yo guess. For all we know there maybe a load of trade missions. There maybe exploration missions. There maybe mining missions.

Basically we have no idea. I suggest waiting for release before you do a full review.

Please manage your expectations. There is some stuff missing according to FD that will appear on release. Don't expect anything fundamentally different though. A little here and there, that will be it.

OP - yeah, there is always something the devs could have done different or better. You can find something to be critical about with any major update. But FD aren't going to change anything now, and most likely they won't do most of the things you are saying in the future. So either enjoy Odyssey for what it does bring or... don't.

Please manage your expectations.
My expectations are "minimal viable product" which I feel is FDEVs mantra.
Odyssey will sell, regardless of the complaints, and many will be happy (irrespective of the "hidden" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: things before launch). For myself - I have learned to force the bar low for ED, but it still amazes me how well FDEV mess things up. (Spin the wheel, for a classic example!)

Please manage your expectations. There is some stuff missing according to FD that will appear on release. Don't expect anything fundamentally different though. A little here and there, that will be it.

OP - yeah, there is always something the devs could have done different or better. You can find something to be critical about with any major update. But FD aren't going to change anything now, and most likely they won't do most of the things you are saying in the future. So either enjoy Odyssey for what it does bring or... don't.
I'm not expecting anything fundamentally different. We do know there are more types of settlements. We have been told there will be mission giver NPCs at settlements, we have been told there will be diplomatic missions, we have been told there will trade missions from settlements, whether they have made the cut though, I don't know.

I'm also hopeful that the POI buildings are just place holders in the Alpha and that some with building will be more involved, that you will be able to enter them for objectives. That was suggested in a stream. Whether that will happen, we will have to wait and see.

My expectations are "minimal viable product" which I feel is FDEVs mantra.
Odyssey will sell, regardless of the complaints, and many will be happy (irrespective of the "hidden" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: things before launch). For myself - I have learned to force the bar low for ED, but it still amazes me how well FDEV mess things up. (Spin the wheel, for a classic example!)
Funny that, as the alpha has already shown it is already far from minimal viable product.

When the major issues are finished with Odyssey, l hope they will turn their attention back to the space game (See My Feedback before Odyssey Drops) but I don't expect them to do that until after the consoles get Odyssey. I think we're in for a long wait. :cry:
Apart from Ship Interiors, I also hope that Legs content is one-shot only. I don't want to see too much investment on a side feature.
For example I'm more interested in having access to all type of planets and new game loops with the vehicles, plus giving some depth to the many placeholders already in the game.

Point?
Do I need a factual base to anything I say? That would be something new in this debate :ROFLMAO:
A point isn't a factual base, it's an intention of understanding for your statement to achieve. I didn't understand the point of that statement was to infer FD was superior to Hello or inferior to Hello. I mean I understand that some members intend to dilute all discussion on here to the relevance of a facebook post but I was hoping we could stick to the topic the OP intended.

I'm also hopeful that the POI buildings are just place holders in the Alpha and that some with building will be more involved, that you will be able to enter them for objectives. That was suggested in a stream. Whether that will happen, we will have to wait and see.

The "Horizons" POIs? Yeah I hope so too. Rocking up to some of those structures and just being unable to interact with anything on foot was a huge let down for me.

Apart from Ship Interiors, I also hope that Legs content is one-shot only. I don't want to see too much investment on a side feature.

Legs is going to be part of the core now. It is not a side feature. The ability to go from Ship -> SRV -> On Foot is a great extension of what we already have with SRVs

If they treat legs as a "side feature" and don't further integrate it with the rest of the game... well I'm not saying DOOM exactly, but look what happened to other features that were developed as isolated features. What's a CQC?

For example I'm more interested in having access to all type of planets and new game loops with the vehicles, plus giving some depth to the many placeholders already in the game.
I can't see it being a one-shot feature. They've put far too much effort into it. I'd guess the following is in the plan;-
  1. Bug Fix Odyssey - this will probably the first month or two after release to smooth out the playing experience.
  2. Enhance present on-foot game loops (like exploration) - this will probably also happening in the first couple of months.
  3. Console Release.
  4. VR Implementation (I hope they're still working on this).
Once that's complete, we might see other kinds of planets added to the list but I hope that they go back and give the space game another pass by then. I suspect that as we've got Galnet content planned until 2022, we're going to have enhancement and support all the way up to then, assuming that Odyssey does well, of course.

TBH, Ship Interiors I see as a whole new expansion. Having seen the inside of a couple ships (I.E. there's just the bridge, fighter bays and SRV Bays placed at the moment), the amount of work to put corridors and rooms in your ship so you can walk around while the ship is flying or on the planet surface is huge. As is the demands on the machine you'll be playing it on. That is one of the reasons why that other space game is taking so long. In addition, I don't see fdev being able to implement that and keep game's specs even at odyssey levels. I'd reckon that it would take the 100 devs a good couple of years to put ship interiors in for every ship and that's not including any new ships we get with Odyssey (hopefully) . Sorry to be a downer about the whole Ship interior thing, it's just I don't see them able to do that for a long time.

I can't see it being a one-shot feature. They've put far too much effort into it. I'd guess the following is in the plan;-
  1. Bug Fix Odyssey - this will probably the first month or two after release to smooth out the playing experience.
  2. Enhance present on-foot game loops (like exploration) - this will probably also happening in the first couple of months.
  3. Console Release.
  4. VR Implementation (I hope they're still working on this)
Yes, this is actually what I meant. Apart from an initial support I hope that the future of the game moves in another direction.
For VR we need to be prepared to make some noise again or I'm afraid they will forget 😚

Yes, this is actually what I meant. Apart from an initial support I hope that the future of the game moves in another direction.
For VR we need to be prepared to make some noise again or I'm afraid they will forget 😚
I think the point I was trying to make is that every release going forward, Elite Feet will probably be a major component. So even if we get new planet types to land on, we'll be able to walk around on them (with the exception of water and lava worlds obviously) and there still might be weird lifeforms for us to scan (and hopefully harvest).

They could have made it better with Small Seismic Charges

/thread

Although its not released yet so there is still hope and the doom threads can only start on may 19th from 14:23 hours onwards, until then we can only cross our fingers and toes that its not a steaming pile of horse :poop:
The fact they didn't say anything about Small Seismic Charges does not imply the fact they won't be in the final release. Anything could be in it, since they didn't show everything, right?

Enhance present on-foot game loops (like exploration)
(...)
VR Implementation (I hope they're still working on this).

This is probably wishful thinking, same as further development of VR. Both features are underdeveloped since forever now, and the changes that do appeared just showed that FDev doesn't understand explorers (or VR users :D). I remember how excited the devs on the FSS livestream were that now you can "scan the system more efficiently for credits" or something along these lines. And when asked about VR there was this "oh :poop:" face, and "suuuuure it should work with VR...". Well, it's hard to be excited about VR if you didn't ever experience it, like one of the Community Managers admitted on a different livestream... And with Braben going on how "divisive" VR is... well... I think we will be left out in the dust with this one (or both).

If I were to predict what features of odyssey will be expanded upon, I'd say pew-pew... Lost hope for VR at this point, because if there was even one dev passionate about VR and he saw the "grey burquah" version as @[VR] Jay Le Chardon eloquently put, they'd say a hard no on that...

Lost hope for VR at this point, because if there was even one dev passionate about VR and he saw the "grey burquah" version as @[VR] Jay Le Chardon eloquently put, they'd say a hard no on that...

Even a passionate VR dev can only work within the limits of their project remit though right?

If they were told to make the 2D screen something that avoided all possible nausea for any accidental users etc, then really, what could they actually do differently with it? (Black backdrops and screen edges beyond the periphery are useful for faking VR etc, but not for that use case).

(Honestly, the damn thing could be worse. Have seen some that are so small and 'safe' they’re like a horizontal mobile phone screen. They seem to have at least given us the biggest real estate possible).

Overall, it’s too soon to state that VR Legs are dead. Nothing in the Legs design to date precludes a future port. The bigger question, for now, is whether we can rustle some hacky ones up ;)

Every time I see the term Alpha being used I raise my brows because imho what's been released these last couple weeks as a tryout can't realy be called an Alpha but rather a close to release Beta.
Hoping for drastic additions or changes when fully released is wishfull thinking imho, we've passed that station before in the past and came out pretty empty handed im my opinion.

From what I've seen so far Odyssey won't be worth my 40 euros, fortunately it won't be released on console any time soon so I'll have plenty of time to see were this is going.

Top Bottom