How FDEV could've made the difference with Odyssey.

Still waiting for the game where me and some friends can get aboard a mothership and go exploring / driving / walking together on an Alien world. I was excited for multi-crew, but then it was just "holo-me" and SRV wasn't useable by crew. I was excited for the exploration update, but it just slowed things down. I was excited for Fleet Carriers, but they're just expensive, require endless maintanence, and take forever to fly anywhere. I was excited for Odyssey, but all I have seen from alpha footage is crappy on foot combat.

In the meantime I have found that Conan: Exiles and more recently Valheim have satisfied the "survive with friends" itch.

Also, where the Sam Hell is the DBS ship kit? Good Lord.

Rant over, I'll be back for the next expansion, this one looks pants.

It's still two weeks away from release and although we have a good idea what game loops are in there, we don't know what the full feature set is going to be. Everything in Odyssey we've seen so far is FPS based, that's the whole unique selling point. So I don't expect any gameplay changes (but fdev might still surprise us) as far as the space game is concerned although I do like the graphical updates (Pretty Explosions and new Hyperspace tunnels).

When the major issues are finished with Odyssey, l hope they will turn their attention back to the space game (See My Feedback before Odyssey Drops) but I don't expect them to do that until after the consoles get Odyssey. I think we're in for a long wait. :cry:
I'm quite sure we've seen the major game loops in Alpha.

There will be additional content such as Thargoids... at some point, but we don't know if that's part of this initial release. We'll certainly see additional outpost configurations, more POIs to explore, and planetary upgrades, but I highly doubt we'll see any major gameplay loops.

Still waiting for the game where me and some friends can get aboard a mothership and go exploring / driving / walking together on an Alien world. I was excited for multi-crew, but then it was just "holo-me" and SRV wasn't useable by crew. I was excited for the exploration update, but it just slowed things down. I was excited for Fleet Carriers, but they're just expensive, require endless maintanence, and take forever to fly anywhere. I was excited for Odyssey, but all I have seen from alpha footage is crappy on foot combat.

In the meantime I have found that Conan: Exiles and more recently Valheim have satisfied the "survive with friends" itch.

Also, where the Sam Hell is the DBS ship kit? Good Lord.

Rant over, I'll be back for the next expansion, this one looks pants.

To be fair, I think Odyssey would satisfy the exploring/driving/walking together on an Alien world thing. Assuming you only have 2 friends so they'll all fit in an Exploraconda with a bunch of SRVs... And you never log out so physical multicrew doesn't accidentally punt them back to a station somewhere...

I'd hope so, but Odyssey has been pushed as a "complete product" from Frontier, not a season of updates like Dangerous, Horizons and Beyond :( Time will tell...
No modern software is ever complete.
In addition they'll still have to do (give us) something for the next 2 to 5 years until the next expansion :p

Last edited:
The OP is not wrong in their comment though. Odyssey is the result of three year's work from Frontier with supposedly 100(ish) developers working on it.
That may (or may not) be true, but what we're seeing is not the result of 3 years of work for 100 developers. God knows what was cut or abandoned along the way. All that statement means is that FD spent 3 years doing something and Odyssey is all they have to show for it.

To be fair, I think Odyssey would satisfy the exploring/driving/walking together on an Alien world thing. Assuming you only have 2 friends so they'll all fit in an Exploraconda with a bunch of SRVs... And you never log out so physical multicrew doesn't accidentally punt them back to a station somewhere...
I like your fiery hoops and wish to subscribe to your flaming newsletter.

You mean like the one attached to the plant scanner thingiemajigger? That the community so summarily despised that FDev agreed to take it out of the game? Those kind of mini games?

🙇‍♀️
That's exactly the opposite of a puzzle game :D
For me a puzzle game is an activity that requires concentration, attention to the details, experience/ knowledge with no time pressure

But there may well be other areas where the current mechanics may be used. An example would human POIs that have building, they may well be enterable and interactive, using the mechanics that have been trialed and tested in the alpha. The buildings in the alpha in POIs look like place holders to me.
That's what I mean everytime I say that Odyssey is a solid foundation for further development but I don't believe there will be any of these at launch.

Try it one day. You turn out more right than wrong sadly. Not even being hyperbolic.

Do you guys make public the statistic of how many features you've apologised for have turned out to be exactly what the doom mongers said it was even after the release? You're supposed to say something before its released not complain afterwards.

The day I have more negatives than positive to say about the game is the day I'll stop playing.

Unlike some I don't play games I clearly hate.

Top Bottom