How FDEV could've made the difference with Odyssey.

I will not say that Odyssey is a bad DLC. There's a lot of work in it and it is visible.
Legs adds new gameplay and together with the new planetary tech it will add a new level of immersion.

So what I'm about to discuss here is the idea of gameplay behind this expansion. Part of the confusion with the legs expansion is that it's not purely FPS because you can go around without shooting and NPC will not automatically attack you, but only FPS mechanics have been developed with a certain level of depth.
There's no other deep and meaningful activity you can perform on legs, let's take a look at what Odyssey adds to the main game activity sold with the basic game:

COMBAT: FPS/Combat Zones (y)
MINING: :(
TRADING: :(
EXPLORATION: There was a mini-game to scan plant, now removed instead of being reworked. So nothing added in terms of additional gameplay. :(
SMUGGLING: New gameplay is cool, but still FPS related because of the risk of being engaged in combat.
MISSIONS: the only mission that do not involve FPS is the transport mission that is one type only. All missions got anyway a certain level of risk of being involved in combat.

So it's clear that the current Odyssey gameplay is FPS oriented.
Does it make sense?
In my opinion it doesn't. Because there are a lot of FPS and adventure games that are better and more detailed, so create an expansion that winks to FPS players in ED is a bad idea.

Look instead where FDEV could've made the difference and balance the current game activities:

MINING: add a core mining mini game to the rocks/ice stones on legs where you can find inside fossils or special materials to scan or to sell.
Mechanics to dig into the soil to extract the same sort of stuff or add planetary information concerning the core composition, with a mechanics similar to sub-surface missiles.
Mining is a "gold mine" for additional gameplay on legs since we have a galaxy full of different planets.

TRADING: add new precious commodities that can be transported in our backpacks (nano technology for example) and data trading, then add new markets that deal with these commodities in places where ships can't land for safety reason, so you have to get there with the SRV and then disembark on feet to access to the market (similar to thargoid bases).

EXPLORATION: they could've added other tools to analyze the soil, the rocks, the ice, the thin atmospheric composition (viruses or bacteria in the "air"). A lot of puzzle mini games could've been added. The bonus would've been a new ship module where you can access in a similar way to the FSS (since we don't have ship interiors) to analyze the data collected on the planets with additional puzzle games while we are in supercruise and we've got nothing to do.
Exploration could've involved survival aspects. Find materials on planets that you can use to generate upgrades to survive on aggressive atmospheric planets that are rich of rare plants to scan or rare and precious materials and commodities, where you would not be able to disembark under normal conditions.

MISSIONS: Search particular items on planets surface with hostile environments (survival related, no combat).
Search and Rescue missions: add wreckage ship interiors or caves (assets similar to thargoid bases) for this scope too. Look for missing person, when you find it you give a medikit and the person will follow you back to the ship.

This is where FDEV could've made the difference. It's a shame that none of these ideas or similar ones have been considered for the development of an expansion whose title is ODYSSEY.

I'm sure that Odyssey will be the base ground for further developments of all the gameplay sides.

On the other hand, i'm still waiting a mining SRV since horizons....

I will not say that Odyssey is a bad DLC. There's a lot of work in it and it is visible.
Legs adds new gameplay and together with the new planetary tech it will add a new level of immersion.

So what I'm about to discuss here is the idea of gameplay behind this expansion. Part of the confusion with the legs expansion is that it's not purely FPS because you can go around without shooting and NPC will not automatically attack you, but only FPS mechanics have been developed with a certain level of depth.
There's no other deep and meaningful activity you can perform on legs, let's take a look at what Odyssey adds to the main game activity sold with the basic game:

EXPLORATION: There was a mini-game to scan plant, now removed instead of being reworked. So nothing added in terms of additional gameplay. :(
SMUGGLING: New gameplay is cool, but still FPS related because of the risk of being engaged in combat.
MISSIONS: the only mission that do not involve FPS is the transport mission that is one type only. All missions got anyway a certain level of risk of being involved in combat.

Does it make sense?
In my opinion it doesn't. Because there are a lot of FPS and adventure games that are better and more detailed, so create an expansion that winks to FPS players in ED is a bad idea.

Look instead where FDEV could've made the difference and balance the current game activities:

MINING: add a core mining mini game to the rocks/ice stones on legs where you can find inside fossils or special materials to scan or to sell.
Mechanics to dig into the soil to extract the same sort of stuff or add planetary information concerning the core composition, with a mechanics similar to sub-surface missiles.
Mining is a "gold mine" for additional gameplay on legs since we have a galaxy full of different planets.

TRADING: add new precious commodities that can be transported in our backpacks (nano technology for example) and data trading, then add new markets that deal with these commodities in places where ships can't land for safety reason, so you have to get there with the SRV and then disembark on feet to access to the market (similar to thargoid bases).

EXPLORATION: they could've added other tools to analyze the soil, the rocks, the ice, the thin atmospheric composition (viruses or bacteria in the "air"). A lot of puzzle mini games could've been added. The bonus would've been a new ship module where you can access in a similar way to the FSS (since we don't have ship interiors) to analyze the data collected on the planets with additional puzzle games while we are in supercruise and we've got nothing to do.
Exploration could've involved survival aspects. Find materials on planets that you can use to generate upgrades to survive on aggressive atmospheric planets that are rich of rare plants to scan or rare and precious materials and commodities, where you would not be able to disembark under normal conditions.

MISSIONS: Search particular items on planets surface with hostile environments (survival related, no combat).
Search and Rescue missions: add wreckage ship interiors or caves (assets similar to thargoid bases) for this scope too. Look for missing person, when you find it you give a medikit and the person will follow you back to the ship.

This is where FDEV could've made the difference. It's a shame that none of these ideas or similar ones have been considered for the development of an expansion whose title is ODYSSEY.
Please remember that the Alpha was a slice of all the basic mechanics. What it will be like live its a bit difficult yo guess. For all we know there maybe a load of trade missions. There maybe exploration missions. There maybe mining missions.

Basically we have no idea. I suggest waiting for release before you do a full review.

That is exactly what I feared of and why I often said "legs" would be a complete game of its own and that you might prefer Mass Effect Andromeda for a walking/shooting/collecting/scanning by foot game. ;)

It's not even released yet...
Feel free to read it again in two weeks. 😜
I'm sure that Odyssey will be the base ground for further developments of all the gameplay sides.

On the other hand, i'm still waiting a mining SRV since horizons....
Yeah, I'm a bit tired of "foundations". This is Elite's seventh year. And especially Odyssey has been advertised as a finished expansion instead of the piece meal seasons.

I'm not gonna judge Odyssey on what it could one day become.

I'm still waiting for Planetary Mining. A total no-brainer but still not a thing...

(one more reason to drive a Recon SRV to find sub-surface and deep Mining Hotspots on a Planet, then get out on foot with a scanner and refine the sweet spots, which get marked for exploitation)

But no - Asteroids in Deep Space is all we got....

I'm still waiting for Planetary Mining. A total no-brainer but still not a thing...

(one more reason to drive a Recon SRV to find sub-surface and deep Mining Hotspots on a Planet, then get out on foot with a scanner and refine the sweet spots, which get marked for exploitation)

I'm not, they will only have class 2 seismic charges, and I only have class one hands :(

Please remember that the Alpha was a slice of all the basic mechanics. What it will be like live its a bit difficult yo guess. For all we know there maybe a load of trade missions. There maybe exploration missions. There maybe mining missions.

Come on Max, you've been around long enough to know better than that.

What we saw in alpha is 95% of what will be in release minus the finished planet graphics, the suit engineers, and some little combat surprises like Thargoid stuff at best. There won't be any substantial new content or gameplay added between the alpha and release, that's not how Frontier has historically developed this game.

Maybe stuff will be added in later patches if we are lucky, but for May 19th we mostly know what we are getting now. For the most part this is it.

Square peg - round hole, "I want to make the point Odyssey is FPS only".

If something could involve combat, cos say you are crap at stealth like I am - then its FPS is like saying trading is part of ship combat in Space, because you can (and will be interdicted for your cargo).

Plenty of mission can be done without combat, on a good day I could proove it to you , with nothing but a sppon or something.

Simon

Does it make sense?

Well in the great minds of the fdev leadership, Odyssey means:

Only
Dead
Youngsters
Shot,
Shelled or
Exploded
Yonder

Any other kind of game play seems to just puzzle them immensely.

It's the old Cry...
ED could be great!
Except it's just Meh.

You've been away too long Mr Hat you know its the forum way to render something dead before its even born.
That's not what I'm saying.
In fact:
I'm takling about missing opportunities and that FDEV decisions made Odyssey an average product rather than something original and more in line with the previous contents.

You'll shoot outcrops with a SRV repeater and you'll like it!

But serious, surface mining (and maybe deeper... tunnels and caves if the tech could be updated to permit it) would be awesome.

I'd hope so, but Odyssey has been pushed as a "complete product" from Frontier, not a season of updates like Dangerous, Horizons and Beyond :( Time will tell...

Top Bottom