Horizons High-Wake from Orbital Flight nearly boiled me

I was playing last night for the first time since 2.04 and noticed a new behavior:

I was doing trade missions in my T-6. This particular mission had me taking 76 tons of biowaste from one planet to another.
After I cleared the docking platform, I retracted the landing gear and boosted up as I usually do, incurring the nominal heat generation. Once I escape mass lock at an altitude of 2.5km, I initiate my FSD to jump to my target system. Then, all hell breaks loose. My heat skyrockets up to 150% well before the drive has fully charged. Naturally, I aborted the jump, but my heat didn't drop off that quick. It fell to the upper 80s and sort of stayed there for a bit before normalizing. Has this happened to anyone else since 2.04 or did I experience a glitch?

In hindsight, the gravity on this planet was higher than I normally encounter at 0.75 G. Could that have been the culprit?

Last edited:
I think I had something similar, I was at a 0.05G planet though, in an Asp, and also noticed rather excessive heat generation considering the G forces. It wasn't as extreme as you mention, but I felt the same way: it seemed odd to me that my FSD should be struggling so. I wish there was some more logic to some of these things rather than just a 'game mechanic'

Did you do it while being inverted on a High-G Planet?

If so, it's the top Thrusters overheating.

Trying an FSD activation or even a HyperJump while inverted on a High-G Planet (30-40deg Pitch seems the most critical) is guaranteed to boil up any Ship.
For some reason, around Planets the vertical Thrusters are able to produce 10x more heat than even an A-Grade Afterburner...

Bug-Reported during Beta-Testing but it never got changed - so I guess it's "working as intended".

Either way, I was able to completely cook off an otherwise stone-cold Ship just doing that. Affects all Ships.

-- edit --
Found the old Bug Report :
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209406

Last edited:
I was playing last night for the first time since 2.04 and noticed a new behavior:

I was doing trade missions in my T-6. This particular mission had me taking 76 tons of biowaste from one planet to another.
After I cleared the docking platform, I retracted the landing gear and boosted up as I usually do, incurring the nominal heat generation. Once I escape mass lock at an altitude of 2.5km, I initiate my FSD to jump to my target system. Then, all hell breaks loose. My heat skyrockets up to 150% well before the drive has fully charged. Naturally, I aborted the jump, but my heat didn't drop off that quick. It fell to the upper 80s and sort of stayed there for a bit before normalizing. Has this happened to anyone else since 2.04 or did I experience a glitch?

In hindsight, the gravity on this planet was higher than I normally encounter at 0.75 G. Could that have been the culprit?

Haven't done that many planet-based missions so far, but usually, I lift off, then pitch up to almost 90 degrees and then boost. When I'm no longer mass locked, I activate the FSD. Never had any problems so far. Mostly done in an Imperial Cutter but I also did this a few times with an Anaconda.

Did you do it while being inverted on a High-G Planet?

If so, it's the top Thrusters overheating.

Trying an FSD activation or even a HyperJump while inverted on a High-G Planet (30-40deg Pitch seems the most critical) is guaranteed to boil up any Ship.
For some reason, around Planets the vertical Thrusters are able to produce 10x more heat than even an A-Grade Afterburner...

Bug-Reported during Beta-Testing but it never got changed - so I guess it's "working as intended".

Either way, I was able to completely cook off an otherwise stone-cold Ship just doing that. Affects all Ships.

-- edit --
Found the old Bug Report :
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209406
That was exactly my issue. Thought being slightly inverted was inconsequential, but it appears to have been the cause. Thanks for the link/info!

I feel sorry for the OP, being locked in a hot, airtight metal box with 76 tons of cooking biowaste.

Nasty.
Yeah, definitely tested the gag reflexes a bit... and that smell is gonna last for days!

OP, did it look something like this:

https://youtu.be/Wm5-x6v4B5E
Almost exactly, except I aborted the jump at 150% heat, reduced thrust to idle and rolled to level flight. Guessing all that money/time I spent on a pilot's license finally paid off.

The more I've play-tested this, the less I feel it's a bug, but rather an interesting mechanic. It does seem worse on higher-gravity planets and increases with ship weight. It really seems to run-away once over 100%. Not sure how I feel about it yet...

Top Bottom