Help with roof pieces

Assuming that you already know how to deal with the grid system, it's learning by struggling. The possibilities are limited because we have only 4x4 pieces. But experience gives methods do build around and hide some of this limitations. Besides, every roof set works different has different possibilities and limitations, so knowing them is a key to success.

Do you have a specific project where the roof gives you problems?

Last edited:
I also have trouble getting roofs to line up properly. After watching lots of youtubers hiding the mismatches with trims, gutters and other decorations, I've begun to wonder whether this isn't part of the point.... That they're only designed to be used in conjunction with those other pieces.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
@markun I'm not sure if it's a matter of which roof pieces go together or lining them up on the grid. All the roofing pieces with match each other but, at least for me, it's a matter of knowing which ones that is. Laying them out on the ground first was helpful for me to see all the pieces.. Regarding the grid - you can always lower the grid size to help match pieces up and lower the height of the grid so you can move in smaller increments. I don't know if that helps but I wanted to throw it out there :)

you can always lower the grid size to help match pieces up and lower the height of the grid so you can move in smaller increments
The problem is that this doesn't work allways. I had a couple of instances where I made the grid high to 0m but instead of going up and down smoothly, it still jumped up and down, creating gaps.
And if you want to move your pieces around horizontally, your completley out of look, because the grid size has a minimum of 1m.

The problem is that this doesn't work allways. I had a couple of instances where I made the grid high to 0m but instead of going up and down smoothly, it still jumped up and down, creating gaps.
And if you want to move your pieces around horizontally, your completley out of look, because the grid size has a minimum of 1m.

If the jumping up and down occures even though you have it set to 0m make sure you don't have vertical snapping turned on in the game options, that overwrites the building settings and stuff is snapped to 1m increments anyway.

And I agree about the 1m grid, which is also frustrating 'cause we don't even have 1, 2, 3m pieces for almost everything and so all you can do to fill in gaps is overlap stuff and that really limiting and causes flickering in most cases as well :/

If the jumping up and down occures even though you have it set to 0m make sure you don't have vertical snapping turned on in the game options, that overwrites the building settings and stuff is snapped to 1m increments anyway.

The funny thing is that this sometimes happens even though the piece I had selected before went down smoothly, so I doubt that vertical snapping is the reason.

Thanks for the responses. When I next play I will get some pictures to show what the actual issue is as it is hard to describe only in words.

I get your pain. I like making odd-shaped buildings from time to time (nothing too extreme), but I'm always stuck with squares because creating roofs is a nightmare. I know everything is set to 4m, but I would love to have 1, 2, and 3m roofs, especially since we have the non-gridded walls of the same sizes.

If you can’t get roof pieces to match up using the grid then you need to separate those pieces from the group. You can then move them on a pixel by pixel basis using the advanced move tool so that they fit perfectly.

Top Bottom