Guardians Discussions

Pleased to advise that this recently-born alt has discovered 2 new Guardian Ruins, on COL 173 SECTOR ID-Z c14-0 Planet A4, both Alphas. K primary, M companion, 1270.93 LY from Sol, and inside an otherwise well-explored volume. Just ghoes to show. Also brain trees on B2a. Canonn report submitted.
Is this the lowest guardian system ever found? Its at -402, lower than the predicted homeworld.

But FSS never shows me a guardian site or ruin. It only shows me a guardian beacon, in the form of an exclamation mark in the signal source end of the spectral graph. The only way to see structures, or ruins, is only to approach, manually, within 1000ls. That is, unless, the old trick, as you mentioned, still works.

Again, I highly suggest we explore that before mentioned COL 132 Sector. I looked briefly at an updated Cannon log and I don't see COL 132 Guardian sites, but there is a brain tree system there...which may be a good indication a Guardian site, or ruin, is around.

Thanks for the input. After I'm done with my project? I might test the old method out in said Col 132.

I did preferred the old honk system. It was more realistic for a 3306 era tech. Jump to system, send out an FTL query/ ping and await a receipt of a rough reading on body signatures. It basically would take the way NASA reads planetary signatures from afar now, from light years away, to determine if they give a potential life supporting signature and compile that into faurly tangibly and accurate data. Especially if you're already in-system. This is not to say that FSS should not exist. We should just be using it for determining signal sources. So we'd still use it for exploring.
Key info:
  • The old trick definitely still works in systems that have already been fully discovered.

• The FSS definitely shows Guardian sites within systems that have already been discovered as well.
I've checked both of these within the last month or so, so both are correct unless something's gone wrong in one of the recent patches.

How are you checking for sites in the FSS? I might just be misinterpreting what you're saying but it sounds like you're looking for signal sources.

For the FSS, the sites don't show up as signal sources. They only show up when you FSS scan a body that has them. They should show next to 'Locations' which is at the top of the body info section.

The system map should also show the presence of any Guardian sites in the body info after bodies have been FSS scanned.

Or are you actually saying that known Guardian sites don't show up for you when you FSS scan the body in question? If so that's a bug and needs reporting.

Last edited:
On the note of brain trees? We might want to explore the Col 132 sector. I don't know of any Guardian sites there, but someone posted a brain tree pic from a col 132 sector. A guardian site is sure to be nearby.

Col 132 sector RT-Q D5-41 (body 3A A ?I think he said). I'd check myself, but I'm in the middle of activating every single beacon discovered, along with their associated Structure sites that you get the message for, after scanning. I'm running low on SRV mats lol. I don't expect anything good to come of it, other than accumulating 30 or so vessel blueprints I don't need, but? Just in case...
Reposting the exploration heatmap from the Front Page for reference:

Guardian bubble 2.jpg

The circle marks the rough extent of the main Guardian bubble. (Bear in mind that this is a 2D view, and really needs to be considered in 3D, with a effectively a sphere rather than a circle.)

Radius of the circle is ~700 - 800 ly.

The main red area is the human bubble and surrounding areas.

For scale/orientation, for those who aren't clear, the line of red dots towards the bottom of the image is the Orion Nebula area, and specifically the 2MASS cluster there.

I can't remember exactly where Col 132 is but I think it's in the known area. As you can see, it's only really the bit between the Regor Sector and the human bubble that's well explored, so anything in the other areas is definitely worth exploring.

If Col 132's well outside of that area, then it's potentially another Guardian area, in which case it first needs checking if its already known. If not then it's a great new discovery and definitely worth looking into further!

Key info:
  • The old trick definitely still works in systems that have already been fully discovered.

• The FSS definitely shows Guardian sites within systems that have already been discovered as well.
I've checked both of these within the last month or so, so both are correct unless something's gone wrong in one of the recent patches.

How are you checking for sites in the FSS? I might just be misinterpreting what you're saying but it sounds like you're looking for signal sources.

For the FSS, the sites don't show up as signal sources. They only show up when you FSS scan a body that has them. They should show next to 'Locations' which is at the top of the body info section.

The system map should also show the presence of any Guardian sites in the body info after bodies have been FSS scanned.

Or are you actually saying that known Guardian sites don't show up for you when you FSS scan the body in question? If so that's a bug and needs reporting.
Ah okay.
Well? Historically? I just checked the FSS for unique signals and moved on. Then I noticed, while visiting a discovered Ruins site that it didn't show in my FSS, but when I approached 1000ls it showed in my nav panel. So now I just FSS everything, discovered or not. I guess while out exploring for new Guardian locations, I expected it would be a unique signal source...not unlike Thargoids NHSS.

Ah okay.
Well? Historically? I just checked the FSS for unique signals and moved on. Then I noticed, while visiting a discovered Ruins site that it didn't show in my FSS, but when I approached 1000ls it showed in my nav panel. So now I just FSS everything, discovered or not. I guess while out exploring for new Guardian locations, I expected it would be a unique signal source...not unlike Thargoids NHSS.
Ah....

Guessing you’re probably on it already now, but just for clarity:

- The FSS signal bar will only show signals in space.

- The more interesting planet side stuff generally does not show in the Nav Panel or SysMap

- Only ways to find the more interesting stuff, generally speaking, are:

a. FSS scanning bodies
b. DSS probing bodies
c. Doing direct planet surface searches (various ways to do this)
d. Following clues (from listening posts, for example, or from other sites)

The only reason the Guardian sites show up in the NavPanel and HUD is that an upgrade of scanners to be able to detect the sites was a universal reward for the first completion of the first Ram Tah mission. (Which was incredibly hard and was only done via a massive community effort over a long time. And which still only really progressed due to several Galnet articles giving specific systems to look in.)

@Davanix : did you miss my earlier post perhaps? (this one) We have a few people out by NGC 3603, and they've yet to find any brain trees. I wonder if they might be bugged. Could you list some systems where you found them? Even if you have no screenshots, your journal files should have them, so you could look them up there too.

@Davanix : did you miss my earlier post perhaps? (this one) We have a few people out by NGC 3603, and they've yet to find any brain trees. I wonder if they might be bugged. Could you list some systems where you found them? Even if you have no screenshots, your journal files should have them, so you could look them up there too.
Sorry been real buzy with work lately, as mentioned previously my journal was wiped when i reinstalled for a new gpu unfortunately these sites where over a year ago :-(

Does anyone know if the article "Finding Guardian Ruins" over at the Canonn Research page is still up-to-date? https://canonn.science/codex/finding-guardian-ruins/
The article itself was written in 2017 and a lot has changed since then. I'm especially curious about the criteria for Guardian Sites (e.g. "Surface Temperature is between 180 and 310K " or "Planet radius is between 1000-3000km ").

My second question: I have not done the Ram Tah mission yet. Is there a chance that this will impede with my search for new Guardian Sites, e.g. discovering new logs or something like that?

Any other piece of advice what I should be looking out for? I'm currently exploring a cluster of brain trees. As far as I understand, this means that there should be a site within ~60lys of the trees. That still leaves a lot of systems to map, though.

Any other piece of advice what I should be looking out for? I'm currently exploring a cluster of brain trees. As far as I understand, this means that there should be a site within ~60lys of the trees. That still leaves a lot of systems to map, though.
BTs are an indicator for guardian stuff. Anything you heard about ruins being in a certain distance from BTs is ... uhm.. yeah its garbage. I found bts in IC 2602 Sector BQ-Y c26 which is 424ly from sol and under 50ly from the bubble. I think the nearest guardian ruin is over 400ly away from it. In general it looks like frontier handplanced them in certain sectors, within those sectors there seem to be boundaries connected to the coordinates of the galaxy map. And they appear in nebulae. Their spread is limited sharply. If you go looking for them you are going to figure out the area and its borders where they can appear sooner or later. From that point on its like shooting fish in a barrel. By the way we still have not found all ruins....

My newest discovery regarding bts is that they can appear in the NGC 2516 Sector. I found them in NGC 2516 Sector OI-T c3-3, didnt know that until 2 weeks ago.

BTs are an indicator for guardian stuff. Anything you heard about ruins being in a certain distance from BTs is ... uhm.. yeah its garbage. I found bts in IC 2602 Sector BQ-Y c26 which is 424ly from sol and under 50ly from the bubble. I think the nearest guardian ruin is over 400ly away from it. In general it looks like frontier handplanced them in certain sectors, within those sectors there seem to be boundaries connected to the coordinates of the galaxy map. And they appear in nebulae. Their spread is limited sharply. If you go looking for them you are going to figure out the area and its borders where they can appear sooner or later. From that point on its like shooting fish in a barrel. By the way we still have not found all ruins....

My newest discovery regarding bts is that they can appear in the NGC 2516 Sector. I found them in NGC 2516 Sector OI-T c3-3, didnt know that until 2 weeks ago.
The distance to Ruins thing isn’t really garbage, it just a rule that applies to some situations and might not to others.

It’s best understood by considering Guardian areas on 2 scales:

• Major bubbles
  • Minor bubbles

The distance to Ruins was established from the latter, and applies to the latter.

The situation for Major bubbles is unclear.

What defines Major vs Minor in this context is scale of area braintrees are found across and numbers of sites therein (or potentially therein).

A minor area will have braintrees in a volume with diameter in the order of approx 100 ly, and will have a single digit number of sites.

A major area will have braintrees in a volume of approx 700-800 ly radius, and will have sites numbering in the hundreds.

(This is all prone to update and change as more discoveries are made of course.)

The distance to Ruins thing isn’t really garbage, it just a rule that applies to some situations and might not to others.

It’s best understood by considering Guardian areas on 2 scales:

• Major bubbles
  • Minor bubbles

The distance to Ruins was established from the latter, and applies to the latter.

The situation for Major bubbles is unclear.

What defines Major vs Minor in this context is scale of area braintrees are found across and numbers of sites therein (or potentially therein).

A minor area will have braintrees in a volume with diameter in the order of approx 100 ly, and will have a single digit number of sites.

A major area will have braintrees in a volume of approx 700-800 ly radius, and will have sites numbering in the hundreds.

(This is all prone to update and change as more discoveries are made of course.)
Thanks! That clarifies the situation to some extent. I'll report back in detail tomorrow (aka "after I have slept" :D ) and will probably supply some screenshots/maps. I am currently investigating the Guardian Bubble around Hen 2-333. I've stopped 500ly short of the ruins discovered there (and discussed on the previous page of this thread). But I'll post more tomorrow.

My search area in relation to Hen 2-333

My search area in relation to the closest known Guardian site

Each marker represents a confirmed presence of BTs (although I forgot to to set a marker for a few more)

My current approach is:

Scan every system within the area, regardless of star class and type, prioritize systems with multiple stars
1. FSS Scan the entire system / check for Bios / Guardian Sites within 1000ls should appear in FSS scan of a body
2. Look at rocky / high metal content worlds outside 1000ls and search for two criteria: Temperature between 180k and 310k, radios equal to or larger than 1000km
3. If promising candidates are present, fly to within 1000ls of the body and check Nav Panel for Guardian Site (Ancient Ruin or how it's called)

Is there a flaw in this procedure or am I good to continue? :D

The brain tree area there is quite clearly defined. It's a precisely 750 ly sphere* that's centered around Hen 2-333 (which has a 100 ly permit lock around it, the IC 4673 sector), but the parts of that sphere that go into the neighbouring Norma Arm region are removed. It shows up quite nicely on the relevant EDAstro map too:

(The Codex data set is at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Elite-IGAU/publications/master/IGAU_Codex.csv)

The interesting part about it is that although the BT area goes out to 750 ly there, the three Guardian systems there so far don't go out nearly that far. If memory serves, the farthest was something around 170 ly from the center.

As for a flaw in your procedure: I think the FSS scan is enough, because if there are Guardian sites on the body, it will tell you that. I haven't seen this bugged yet, and certainly not in GH. The problem with flying to each and every candidate body is that you'll waste a lot of time; we've searched a lot of systems with candidate bodies, and only found three systems, of which only one wasn't already reported elsewhere. Sadly, one isn't tripping all over Guardian ruins out there. Certainly not to the extent of the main Guardian area near the bubble.

*: it was easy enough to determine that it goes out precisely to 750 ly. Go to, say, 750.2 ly, and none of the bodies which should have brain trees of them will have any.

Report - Guardian Glyphs

Having remembered that there had been a report of new glyphs at the Guardian Structures I went to take a look.

Original report by @Jmanis :

This is what I found:

• At the structures there are the towers which have panels which can be shot off to obtain materials.

• Each tower has an upper, middle and lower shootable panel.

• The material obtained from shooting off the panel always corresponds with which of the three panels it is.

• The writing behind the panel also always corresponds with which of the three panels it is.

So, there is therefore also an effective correspondence between each of the materials and specific writing. (Though whether it's the material, the 'height', both, or something else that the writing describes is open to speculation.)

Details and images below:

Upper Panel - Tech Component
View attachment 181038

Middle Panel - Power Cell

View attachment 181037

Lower Panel - Power Conduit

View attachment 181039

So, for each we have a combination of two (mirrored) triangle-grid glyphs, and a symbol or glyph of another form.

Possibilties:
  1. Both aspects have separate meanings both of which are pertinent
  2. Both aspects have the same meaning
  3. It's the combination of both aspects which has a single pertinent meaning.

Also, both forms are also in various places and combinations on the towers in question. For example:

View attachment 181040

View attachment 181041

View attachment 181042

(Plus more on other parts of the tower.)

Nothing further to report in terms of actual getting anywhere with this, but wanted to share what I had thus far.

Not sure if this has aspect of there being a correspondence of panel, material and glyphs has been reported on so far, but I don't recall it being.

@ExoForce , just tagging you in (as well as @Jmanis who's obviously already tagged in), as I think you'd said in response to Jmanis post that you'd found some stuff. Does this all correspond with what you'd found?
Yes. IIRC around 12-15 combinations. Respect.

Howdy all. Been playing for a week or so since I took a 2 year break from the game - I left just after the FSS came into existence and I ran out of steam.

I've returned to my love of looking for the guardian related content and have a few questions.

1) This one is for a dev I think: Is there more guardian content to find in the game currently? By content I am referring to undiscovered ruins, and guardian structures.

2) When I arrive in a system that is undiscovered, where nobody else has been and I use the FSS, will it show locations as guardian if there are ruins etc there, even if the location is beyond 1,500ls?

3) Why aren't Guardian systems, containing beacons for example showing as "Guardian" on the Galaxy Map?

4) What is the latest goal in regards to guardians?

Time is precious, and I love the game, but I don't want to know I am spending my time searching for something that exists in the game rather than something that doesn't.

Also, here is a picture I made from back in 2017 poking some fun - I was so happy when the newer guardian structures arrived!
cccv guardians.png

Top Bottom