Guardians Discussions

The one i found last week didn't show up because it was more than 1000ls away, the one I just found did show up in the FSS because it was less than 1000 ls.
I think that they should show up in FSS even if more than 1000ls away.
Thanks.

The contact panel and what you view through your cockpit screen is limited to 1000ls.
The FSS for discovered items has no limitation. I'm thinking when you scan a planet through FSS and it displays 'locations: Human / Other' that kind of thing.

You are indicating that this also works for 'undiscovered' items - which is good.

Last edited:
The one i found last week didn't show up because it was more than 1000ls away, the one I just found did show up in the FSS because it was less than 1000 ls.
Yeah, pretty sure they should show up in the FSS whatever the range.

The 1,000 ls limit should just be for stuff in the NavPanel.

@Arthur Tolmie , @Stephen Benedetti , this is going to be a very difficult one for anyone to actually get any pics or other supporting evidence for, as it will require checking system after system after system, in the hope of eventually finding an example.

Given that, is there any chance we could get confirmation that it’s not intended behaviour for Guardian sites to only appear within 1,000 ls in the FSS.

Assuming it’s not intended, could testing be facilitated?

What would be needed is for someone from within FD to provide the name of at least 6 systems which:
  • haven’t been visited by any players
  • have Guardian Sites at a distance much larger than 1,000 ls from the primary star

We’ll need at least 6 as we’d need to check both Ancient Ruins and Guardians Structures on PC, xBox and PS. (Unless systems can be provided that have both Ancient Ruins and Guardian Structures at >>1,000 ls distance from the primary star.)

There should be loads of systems matching the criteria which are in the main area around the Regor Sector, and which can be provided without giving anything away. (For Ancient Ruins at least)

I’d be happy to then check and test for PC and log the issue on the tracker if I can confirm it. I’m sure others would be willing to do the XB and PS tests.

If providing a system name for us to check is a no-go, then the checking and issue logging will need to be done by someone in FD using personal accounts in the live game.

Thanks!

Last edited:
After using the FSS on System DROKOE FU-O B39-O I only found some planets with Geo and Bio sites only after flying out to one with Bio i saw it had Ruins when i got within 1000ls.
I started to visit Bio sites looking for brain trees and was very surprised to see Ruins.
Not sure if that was a bug or not

After using the FSS on System DROKOE FU-O B39-O I only found some planets with Geo and Bio sites only after flying out to one with Bio i saw it had Ruins when i got within 1000ls.
I started to visit Bio sites looking for brain trees and was very surprised to see Ruins.
Not sure if that was a bug or not
Yeah, hopefully the guys from FD will be able to confirm how the FSS should be working for the Guardian sites.

Out searching for more Ruins in the DROKOE Sector I came across a Ruin site previously discovered and mapped but not reported as I can tell. DROKOE SB-M B40-0 C2

Now I am carful on how I go about looking at Systems in my search for new ruins. I first honk and use FSS to find all the planets in System looking for Bio sites. If a planet has Bio sites, then I will open the System map and look at the layout.

I regards to DROKOE SB-M B40-0 C2 after using FSS only Bio and Geo sites showed I am sure of that, no Guardian Ruins showed up. I then opened the system map and after moving the curser over the planet with Bio sites up popped 2 Guardian Ruins at 4100ls out, the planet was tagged and mapped by two different commanders. ( discovered by Infectedlamb Mapped by STG213)

At this point I am sure that Guardian ruin Sites will not show up in the FSS mode even if already mapped.

When looking for Guardian ruin sites after using FSS go into System map and check planets that have Bio sites, check left panel description of locations they still may not show.

I now fly to within 1000ls any planet that has Bio sites just to be sure.

DROKOE SB-M B40-0 C2 pics.

Attachments

Last edited:
At this point I am sure that Guardian Sites will not show up in the FSS mode even if already mapped.
I know that this has not been true of undiscovered Guardian Structures as recently as February; and just a few days ago I visited a Structure discovered earlier by one of my alts, and it appeared as I'd expect in the FSS. But I haven't been to a Ruin lately, and it's possible that they work differently.

It looks like I visited a Ruin up in Temple on April 10 and while I can't remember seeing the site I'm pretty sure I would have remembered if it hadn't shown up in the FSS.

Out searching for more Ruins in the DROKOE Sector I came across a Ruin site previously discovered and mapped but not reported as I can tell. DROKOE SB-M B40-0 C2

Now I am carful on how I go about looking at Systems in my search for new ruins. I first honk and use FSS to find all the planets in System looking for Bio sites. If a planet has Bio sites, then I will open the System map and look at the layout.

I regards to DROKOE SB-M B40-0 C2 after using FSS only Bio and Geo sites showed I am sure of that, no Guardian Ruins showed up. I then opened the system map and after moving the curser over the planet with Bio sites up popped 2 Guardian Ruins at 4100ls out, the planet was tagged and mapped by two different commanders. ( discovered by Infectedlamb Mapped by STG213)

At this point I am sure that Guardian Sites will not show up in the FSS mode even if already mapped.

When looking for Guardian sites after using FSS go into System map and check planets that have Bio sites, check left panel description of locations they still may not show.

I now fly to within 1000ls any planet that has Bio sites just to be sure.

DROKOE SB-M B40-0 C2 pics.
Absolutely stunning work, it's good to have this knowledge.
Thank you Red.

Just thinking on an industrial level here, but the barcode thing? Sounds very interesting. My first thought, was, "could they be cleaned up and assembled into a barcode symbology? To be scannable?" Most barcode generating software relies on data to be provided, for it to generate the barcode. That's the only thing. So I'm not sure if there's another way to assemble, say, a PDF417, or UPC code without that. But I suppose if the spacing and thickness were right, one could. The attached image is but some of the barcode symbologies out there.

I don't think you would need to get into researching barcode symbologies, if existing spacing a bars could be used/ combined and cleaned up into distinct, blank bars. I see some horizontal bars in there to, that almost remind me of PDF417. I'm not sure if that's what was meant by "PDF" on the Cannon site article.

Too bad I don't know mores code, too...but I doubt that's what it is.

Attachments

Last edited:
Very interesting!
The Regor system has always been the most intriguing, given, it's proxiimty to the bubble, while still remaining locked. Update, after update, I've wondered when FDev would finally stop teasing these systems and put some content in already and release them...but now I'm starting to wonder...are these perhaps gateways? Maybe we have to solve a mystery which opens access to gateway travel, landing you in virtually any quadrant of the galaxy. Possibly these could be wormholes.
In the early day of carrier release, when I had heard about the system data exploit (a little too late), I managed to squeeze in a couple system data purchases in the Regor Sector. One was an HD (or HR) system. Sadly, nothing unique shows in the data, as is the case for Polaris and what people have found for LFT-509. Ultimately nothing is learned from this data, so I'm not even sure why they bothered patching it. The systems just appear a basic system with no stations.
I did spend some time exploring the surrounding Col 173 sector, around the Regor sector, which lead to a sort of rough outline of the Regor sector by itself, but I still have yet to go back and do the same for the Vela Dark region, to complete the outline.
I've since changed my exploration habits. You see? The problem with this game is everyone wants their name on a system, so they jump out only as much as it takes to start finding undiscovered systems. Meanwhile, there are plenty to discover even in the bubble. I've found a lot of Synuefe and Col 285/ 173 sectors where the CMDRs had only gone through and discovered the first 2-3 (important bodies) and moved on, leaving, sometimes, up to 20+ undiscovered bodies in said system. So I've been focusing my efforts on discovering as many Bubble locations, which is slow and gets tiresome, due, to all the signal noise and the immediate regions outside of the bubble. Most people also seem to explore along a single plane, which doesn't help with discoveries much. FDev had to have known it would be that way and so I'm sure they've hid many things below/ and above the galactic plane. Zurara is an example. We also always tend to try and reach for the farthest places, so too far in the extreme is also not helpful, as there are too few... which makes them obvious. FDev also have the benefit of knowing any sort of jump patterns, or algorithms. So auto-plotting probably misses a ton of stuff in a similar way to how it manages to predominantly plot to red dwarfs, tauri stars and brown dwarfs, while dancing around all the more lively stars.

Also, just to be clear, are you saying that NGC 3603 is at the centre of a Braintree field?
Also yes there are tons of systems on the border of that permit lock with brain trees more than iv seen in such an area compared to other places.
Sorry for the late reply, Been working alot lately, I am unsure on the extent of the braintrees around 3603 however I didnt even know about the permit lock until i hit it spinning back around from Beagle point to the bubble, When flying around the permit lock about 3- every system i jumped through had braintrees.

I had come from the Rhadia sector just further out and hit the permit from what i can see looking at visited stars at Flyai Hypa IC-U b36-0 ( I think anyways due to mapping alot of the systems around due to hardly any being mapped) I am unsure howmany systems however after visiting adleast a full circle around the permit locked region i hit systems that where finally mapped by cmdrs on our side of the locked region, many through my trip around had braintrees however I have no screenshots unfortunately as after already mapping adleast 1000 unmapped systems i called it a day and rushed back to the bubble (Rushed meaning about 4 days of real life lol).
I have some squadmates out there around NGC 3603 now, and they haven't found any brain trees yet. If you don't have any screenshots, do you have any system names where you definitely found some? I wonder if they might be bugged and not showing now. Your journals (log files) should have everything.

Last edited:
I have some squadmates out there around NGC 3603 now, and they haven't found any brain trees yet. If you don't have any screenshots, do you have any system names where you definitely found some? I wonder if they might be bugged and not showing now. Your journals (log files) should have everything.
On the note of brain trees? We might want to explore the Col 132 sector. I don't know of any Guardian sites there, but someone posted a brain tree pic from a col 132 sector. A guardian site is sure to be nearby.

Col 132 sector RT-Q D5-41 (body 3A A ?I think he said). I'd check myself, but I'm in the middle of activating every single beacon discovered, along with their associated Structure sites that you get the message for, after scanning. I'm running low on SRV mats lol. I don't expect anything good to come of it, other than accumulating 30 or so vessel blueprints I don't need, but? Just in case...

Last edited:
I agree. This bewilders me. You are using a radio telescope, essentially. Anyway, pro Guardian site hunters apparently say there's a trick you can implement, which involves not having bodies targeted and flying either in parallel, or perpendicular(?) To the orbit lines....I can't remember which. You'll see them even from 200,000ls away as you hover the cursor over the bodies.

I agree. This bewilders me. You are using a radio telescope, essentially. Anyway, pro Guardian site hunters apparently say there's a trick you can implement, which involves not having bodies targeted and flying either in parallel, or perpendicular(?) To the orbit lines....I can't remember which. You'll see them even from 200,000ls away as you hover the cursor over the bodies.
This only works for bodies that have previously been discovered by you or someone else. (Discovered in this context meaning they’ve been scanned and the data has been handed in to UC.)

If not, the bodies won’t appear in the HUD.

The trick used to work prior to 3.3 when an Advanced Discovery Scanner honk would reveal all bodies in a system. All you had to do was bring each one into view in the middle of the HUD. The easiest way to do this is to use the quickest turning mechanism, which is pitching. So typically you would roll your ship so that the up-down axis was parallel with the orbital plane and then pitch either up or down until you’d done a complete 360 degree pitch and the main view had passed over every body in the system.

Hope that makes sense of what the trick was/is and why it doesn’t work when there are undiscovered bodies.

Having said that it doesn’t work, there’s always a possibility that it does work. It’s just that Guardian sites are very rare, and without the bodies showing in the HUD, it’d mean doing full sweeps of the 360x180 degree skybox in system after system after system to try and check whether it does work. Which wouldn’t be of much use anyway as it’d be quicker to use the FSS.

This only works for bodies that have previously been discovered by you or someone else. (Discovered in this context meaning they’ve been scanned and the data has been handed in to UC.)

If not, the bodies won’t appear in the HUD.

The trick used to work prior to 3.3 when an Advanced Discovery Scanner honk would reveal all bodies in a system. All you had to do was bring each one into view in the middle of the HUD. The easiest way to do this is to use the quickest turning mechanism, which is pitching. So typically you would roll your ship so that the up-down axis was parallel with the orbital plane and then pitch either up or down until you’d done a complete 360 degree pitch and the main view had passed over every body in the system.

Hope that makes sense of what the trick was/is and why it doesn’t work when there are undiscovered bodies.

Having said that it doesn’t work, there’s always a possibility that it does work. It’s just that Guardian sites are very rare, and without the bodies showing in the HUD, it’d mean doing full sweeps of the 360x180 degree skybox in system after system after system to try and check whether it does work. Which wouldn’t be of much use anyway as it’d be quicker to use the FSS.
But FSS never shows me a guardian site or ruin. It only shows me a guardian beacon, in the form of an exclamation mark in the signal source end of the spectral graph. The only way to see structures, or ruins, is only to approach, manually, within 1000ls. That is, unless, the old trick, as you mentioned, still works.

Again, I highly suggest we explore that before mentioned COL 132 Sector. I looked briefly at an updated Cannon log and I don't see COL 132 Guardian sites, but there is a brain tree system there...which may be a good indication a Guardian site, or ruin, is around.

Thanks for the input. After I'm done with my project? I might test the old method out in said Col 132.

I did preferred the old honk system. It was more realistic for a 3306 era tech. Jump to system, send out an FTL query/ ping and await a receipt of a rough reading on body signatures. It basically would take the way NASA reads planetary signatures from afar now, from light years away, to determine if they give a potential life supporting signature and compile that into faurly tangibly and accurate data. Especially if you're already in-system. This is not to say that FSS should not exist. We should just be using it for determining signal sources. So we'd still use it for exploring.

Last edited:
Pleased to advise that this recently-born alt has discovered 2 new Guardian Ruins, on COL 173 SECTOR ID-Z c14-0 Planet A4, both Alphas. K primary, M companion, 1270.93 LY from Sol, and inside an otherwise well-explored volume. Just ghoes to show. Also brain trees on B2a. Canonn report submitted.

Pleased to advise that this recently-born alt has discovered 2 new Guardian Ruins, on COL 173 SECTOR ID-Z c14-0 Planet A4, both Alphas. K primary, M companion, 1270.93 LY from Sol, and inside an otherwise well-explored volume. Just ghoes to show. Also brain trees on B2a. Canonn report submitted.
Congratulations, CMDR! Good finds!

So auto-plotting probably misses a ton of stuff in a similar way to how it manages to predominantly plot to red dwarfs, tauri stars and brown dwarfs, while dancing around all the more lively stars
Easy solution is to turn off M and T etc stars in the galactic map and tell the autoplotter to use the other types whenever possible.

Top Bottom