Guardian Shield Reinforcements - Power Priority

Why would you want to have a defensive system that can turn itself off when you're in hot water?
I have all my defensive stuff as Priority 1.
so you can power your shields back up quicker if they do drop (0.0000000000000000000000000001% chance with guardian shield booster stacking though)

Even my dolphin can sit in a high intensity CZ thanks to stacking.... which is somewhat wrong, a cutter stacking GSB can do combat AFK

this one has 4 confirmations already, including mine.
pile up the confirmations maybe it get looked upon.

https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/818

I think it is because of how reinforcement package modules are implemented in the game.

They just change resulting characteristics of the ship.
In the case of 'human' they only added hull points / module protection points without taking something.
FDev tried to make guardian modules to take power so they would have some consequences (+ added raw shield point increase).

My understanding is that while GSRP/GHRP/GMRP were disableable (and their power priority could be changed), it did nothing when you disabled them - or there were problems with it.
Thus FDev said 'to the hell with it if we can't fix it' and removed priority / disabling from these modules.
Well, maybe there are issues with Guardian Hull/Module reinforcements - maybe hull/module hitpoints are treated differently.
But there should be no issues with Guardian Shield Reinforcement - after all, normal Shield Boosters are sort of the same and they can be disabled or their power priority can be adjusted.

There are times I'd rather lose thruster power for five seconds than lose dozens of seconds/several hundred MJ of collapsed shield regen or have my FSD forcibly rebooted.
If you get into the situation that your power plant malfunctions, your shields are already collapsed == you'd rather have Thruster active to try to flee than absorbing hits to nonexistent shield.
And shield regeneration is absolute ... thus the stronger shields, the longer it takes for them to rebuild. And GSRPs (and Shield Boosters) increase the strength of the shield without increasing regeneration - in fact it is often recommended to disable Shield Boosters to speed up the reforming of the shield. You can't do that with GSRPs.

Even my dolphin can sit in a high intensity CZ thanks to stacking.... which is somewhat wrong, a cutter stacking GSB can do combat AFK
Properly built Cutter does not use GSRPs because each of them adds miniscule percentage of shield strength.

But there should be no issues with Guardian Shield Reinforcement - after all, normal Shield Boosters are sort of the same and they can be disabled or their power priority can be adjusted.
GSRP uses exactly same code as HRP, the only change is that it does not add to max hull but max shield strength (+ power usage).
You can even see it in the Outfitting menu - GSRP is under "HRP" section. Which is quite lazy, because Meta Alloy HRP has it's own ...

I think it is because of how reinforcement package modules are implemented in the game.

They just change resulting characteristics of the ship.
In the case of 'human' they only added hull points / module protection points without taking something.
FDev tried to make guardian modules to take power so they would have some consequences (+ added raw shield point increase).

My understanding is that while GSRP/GHRP/GMRP were disableable (and their power priority could be changed), it did nothing when you disabled them - or there were problems with it.
Thus FDev said 'to the hell with it if we can't fix it' and removed priority / disabling from these modules.

EDIT: There are now several more issues reported, diluting the voting possibility - I found 6 of them ... though none is confirmed.
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/818
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/941
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1383
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1450
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/1595
https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/2878

interesting

Last edited:
If you get into the situation that your power plant malfunctions, your shields are already collapsed == you'd rather have Thruster active to try to flee than absorbing hits to nonexistent shield.
I have hybrid vessels that will far more surely survive five seconds adrift than they'll survive charging for a high wake that may be interrupted without the shields that will shortly be back online.

My krait and corvette have their FSD, bi-weave shield gen, power distributor, and AFMU on 1, with the thrusters on 2. Of course the vette can still keep the thrusters powered through malfunctions unless the PP is destroyed outright (which knocks it down to 20% output for five seconds...not enough to stop shield regeneration or MRP repair or reboot the FSD), but more than enough to knock out the thrusters, even if they were the only thing on 1), but the Krait has survived many close calls because the SYS cap never bottomed out and the shields never stopped regenerating, even when the drives cut out momentarily (thrusters don't have a reboot time; distributor, FSD, AFMU, etc do).

Last edited:
There are times I'd rather lose thruster power for five seconds than lose dozens of seconds/several hundred MJ of collapsed shield regen or have my FSD forcibly rebooted.
Although I'd be lying if I said I'd thought of these specific words; the few times I've survived catastrophic damage has been when I was tumbling erratically away from a battle while I regained shields as opposed to trying to thrust away with no no hope of my shields or FSD coming back.

I see no reason why priorities for said modules shouldn't be changeable plus it would be a major drawback so I hope it's not intentional.

So there are several reports on the issue tracker dating back to April and they're all still in Confirming state? Well, I wouldn't hold my breath...

I've got plenty of guardian blueprints but haven't taken the time to gather the stuff needed for guardian shield reinforcements. Do they take more power than engineered shield reinforcements and for non-thargoid combat are they an improvement?

I have a similar question for hull reinforcements. Are guardian better than engineered?

they are very good to augment existing shields.
And can give pretty decent shields to small ships

Hull reinforcements are not that good as the human g5 ones, but for thargoid combat 1-2 size 1 or 2 guardian hrp can give better results than the human equivalent - assuming you have power to spare

As far as I'm aware, it's never been possible to deliberately shut-down GSBs, although it used to be possible to shut them down by assigning them a low-priority and then powering-up enough other stuff to enable power-management.

Has that changed, now?

I have hybrid vessels that will far more surely survive five seconds adrift than they'll survive charging for a high wake that may be interrupted without the shields that will shortly be back online.
Wouldn't the GSB be counter productive in that case since it raises the time for recharge?

Wouldn't the GSB be counter productive in that case since it raises the time for recharge?
If you reboot the whole ship, everything comes back on, including shields (albeit at 50% strength).

Edit- assuming your potentially shot out powerplant can still handle thrusters, shields, FSD and sensors.

Last edited:
Yeah but he's talking about regen, not reboot.
Ok, reread things now. I misunderstood what kind of 'adrift' was meant (lack of thrusters as opposed to lack of everything). The trade off is still a case of a quicker recharge to a lower 50% strength or a few more seconds to have more shields. Depends on the build as a whole I suppose. If you've plenty of hull, you can probably afford those seconds if it's to give you a little more time to jump out without your FSD taking a further battering.

This Issue still persists after the September update, and I added my confirmation in the Issue Tracker.
I made a build with several Guardian Shield Reinforcement Packages (GSRPs).

Edits: I made a quick check at a station in the outfitting where it is safe to install small powerplants, after todays patch (2019-09-23):
  • The priority of the Guardian Shield Reinforcement Packages is indeed 1 with all consequences!
  • Everything is out of power as soon as the Power Plant cannot supply all active priority 1 modules combined with all the installed Guardian Shield Reinforcement Packages and probably Guardian Module Reinforcement Packages as well! (and maybe even Guarian Frames Shift Drive Boosters?)
  • If the Shield Generator has a lower priority (higher priority number) than the GSRPs and power is not sufficient, then the Shield Generator gets offline, while the GSRPs are still online and happily sucking power. The shields go down, though.
The power requirement of the essential priority 1 modules combined with the GSRPs will exceed 40% in my current build, and I will be dead in the water as soon as the Power Plant takes enough damage.

If the priority cannot be changed and the Guardian Shield Reinforcement Packages can't be turned off individually, then I would prefer them to be one priority level lower than the current priority setting for the Shield Generator and that they are powered together with the Shield Generator.
Maybe FDEV designed the Guardian Shield Reinforcement Packages to form a unit with the Shield Generator. If you don't have the power, you have to turn off everything together (and have to just switch / prioritise the Shield Generator). This might be worth checking. My check shows that it is currently really bugged and probably not the result of some hidden design.
Good insights in this thread, special thanks @Morbad

Last edited:
The power priorities are now totally screwed. i'm surprised i haven't seen this posted. or maybe i missed it. but my goodness this is a mess.

but changing one priority will change another. if you set all your modules priorities to 1 then go through and change each one you will see this in action. and the nature of how they change even changes. when you start getting to 3rd and 4th level priorities different modules will change than when each priority was set to one.

this bug makes it impossible to change module priority with any amount of reason.

UPDATE: thankfully its only cosmetic. but still a pain. if this is happening to you then make a priority change to a module then scroll all the way down then back to the top and the erroneous changes should be reverted to actual priority setting.

Last edited:
Technically GSRP priority should be changeable, so that's a bug. I remember like a week pre update I was fiddling with one of my combat ships, and this module was moving up and down no problem.

For priorities, I have only FSD, Thrusters and Distry to 1, defensive stuff like shields, boosters, reinforcements, heatsinks and etc, are 2, everything else is 3. Because in combat, when you're in "hot water" you probably already lost shields, or entire shield gen, so why keep it at 1 if PP may be going at 40% juice? Best chance to save yourself from bad situation is being able to move quickly and jump away soon, nothing else will help much, if at all...

The power priorities are now totally screwed. i'm surprised i haven't seen this posted. or maybe i missed it. but my goodness this is a mess.

but changing one priority will change another. if you set all your modules priorities to 1 then go through and change each one you will see this in action. and the nature of how they change even changes. when you start getting to 3rd and 4th level priorities different modules will change than when each priority was set to one.

this bug makes it impossible to change module priority with any amount of reason.
There also may appear dummy module duplicates, that serve no purpose, non-interactable, screw your power priorities, and may cause your non-dupe modules to be turned on or off randomly. That truly is a mess.

Just going through my ship inventory in preparation for Fleet Carriers and noticed that my Krait Mk2 combat variant is affected by this bug.

It's pretty obvious I don't do much combat since this thread is nearly a year old and I didn't notice the power priority changes (until now!); but the ability to modify power priorities for any module that consumes power is critical to any ship build.

I'm pretty certain this is just a bug that hasn't been fixed, so I'm hoping this issue will get enough attention to be fixed alongside the upcoming Fleet Carrier update.

Not entirely sure if it's actually a bug.
GSRP is assimilated as HRP/MRP - they are not supposed to be turned off - i see them as embedded in the hull's structure

Top Bottom