ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

That would be neat. I'm betting it'll be a signal source for people on a whitelist only, though. So if you're an authorized user of the Carrier it'll appear as a signal source for you, regardless of whether the owner is online or not, but I doubt it'll show up for every stranger by default. I'll be surprised if Frontier is opening the floodgates to allow everyone to leave an essentially permanent construct anywhere they want. Although I guess if the basebuilding rumors are true then it's something they might have to figure out sooner or later.
I doubt you will be able to leave it anywhere you want. My guess is that you can only select the system and it goes into a solar orbit of the game's choice. You might be able to specify a planet to orbit. But you won't have any control finer than that and they won't be able to move from that position other than by hyperjumping to a new system.

It's possible that you only see carriers that you are allowed to land on. That would reduce the clutter in busy systems. But it also means that a faction under attack by a mercenary squadron could not blockade their carrier. Which to my mind would be a shame.

blockading has never and will never be a viable gameplay mechanic in this game due to the stupid decisions fdev made in regards to instancing and play modes.

No real complicated or over-arching gameplay mechanic is viable in this game between players. Which is why it's been so important that fdev continue to create new content, because the players are unable to create any that exists outside of the imagination of your own head. It's not a very sustainable plan in a game without subscriptions.

blockading has never and will never be a viable gameplay mechanic in this game due to the stupid decisions fdev made in regards to instancing and play modes.

No real complicated or over-arching gameplay mechanic is viable in this game between players. Which is why it's been so important that fdev continue to create new content, because the players are unable to create any that exists outside of the imagination of your own head. It's not a very sustainable plan in a game without subscriptions.
That's a fair point. Let me change my example then.
If there was a carrier in an engineer's system or even orbiting their planet, then you would know to be wary.
It also helps to make the galaxy seem more populated. If you jumped to a squadron's home system then you mght see no pilots, but only half a dozen mercenary-class carriers.

Hello everyone,

In a similar fashion to our Lavecon 2019 reveals, we wanted to give all of you who couldn't join us at our Gamescom Frontier Community Meet a rundown of all the details that just dropped... or should we say hauled in here by the aid of... a Fleet Carrier!

December Update - The FLEET CARRIER Update

The news you've been waiting for... Fleet Carriers.

Take a peek below at the initial details about Fleet Carriers, coming as the December Update.

Ownership
  • Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
  • One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.

Capacity
  • Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
    • 8 Large
    • 4 Medium
    • 4 Small
  • Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.

Operations
  • All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
  • Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Mercenary
    • Pirate
    • Trader
    • Smuggler
    • Miner
    • Explorer
    • Search and Rescue

Travel
  • 500 LY jump range (per jump)
  • Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
  • Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.

We'll be delving deeper into Fleet Carriers and all they can do in upcoming livestreams and forum posts later this year!

September Update

For those of you who have been stranded out in the black and somehow missed it, here's also a super-duper QUICK recap of the September Update.
  • This year's updates are focused on improving the starter experience for new commanders. We're adding a fully-voiced, in-game, in-ship tutorial, covering the basics of space flight, combat, traveling and scanning. Also, this experience is available in all of our in-game supported languages! Speaking of you veterans, you'll be able to access this from your right-hand panel at any time so you won't even need to wipe your save!
  • In addition, we'll be reworking and rebranding what some of you might know as Frontier Points, introducing them as Arx. These Arx will be purchasable and used to buy Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more. What's great about Arx is that you will be able to earn them in-game by... simply playing the game!
The September Update will be launched 18 September for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

Fly safe, Commanders!

Q&A
Greetings Commanders,

The Gamescom Fleet Carrier Reveal was such an exciting moment for us, and after reading through your feedback, we can see that it was also exciting for you! We wanted to take this opportunity to answer some of your questions, keeping in mind that we will be revealing more about Fleet Carriers, closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers jump on the Thursday Server tick?
Fleet Carriers will not be restricted to the Thursday server tick in order to jump.

Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports. We will be exploring this in more detail in a future livestream closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers be bought with Arx?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be purchasable with Arx.

Can we customise our Carriers?
Yes, Fleet Carriers can be customised, but this is something we are going to be looking at in livestreams closer to the Decembers Update's launch.

Can Squadron members contribute to the cost?
The cost for a Fleet Carrier will come from the single commander who owns the carrier. Squadron members will not be able to contribute.

Is the Fleet Carrier restricted to the 'Bubble'?
Fleet Carriers can be purchased from certain systems and can travel outside of 'Human Space', providing they have the fuel to do so.

Where can I buy Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers are purchased from certain systems, which we will look further into during our 'deeper dive' livestream.

Do Fleet Carriers work in Solo?
Fleet Carriers will work and operate in all game modes, so Open, Solo, and Private Groups.

Are Fleet Carriers destructible, and can they defend themselves?
Fleet Carriers are not destructible, but they can defend themselves and other nearby ships.

Do the loadouts have a practical effect in-game?
We will be delving deeper into loadouts, and Support Vessels in later livestreams.

Can you sell Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers can be scrapped, however, it will be for fewer credits than the original purchase amount.

Will a commanders Fleet Carriers persist when logging in and out?
Fleet Carriers are persistent and will remain in the game regardless of whether or not the owner is online.

Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The 'type' of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.

Can Fleet Carriers jump into permit-locked systems?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be able to jump into permit-locked systems.

We hope this gives you an initial insight into Fleet Carriers. Do keep in mind that Fleet Carriers will be released in the December Update, and we will be showing off more about them in livestreams and forum posts closer to its launch. Thank you all for your feedback and questions, and we can't wait to reveal more as time goes on.
This didn't age well......

Hello everyone,

In a similar fashion to our Lavecon 2019 reveals, we wanted to give all of you who couldn't join us at our Gamescom Frontier Community Meet a rundown of all the details that just dropped... or should we say hauled in here by the aid of... a Fleet Carrier!

December Update - The FLEET CARRIER Update

The news you've been waiting for... Fleet Carriers.

Take a peek below at the initial details about Fleet Carriers, coming as the December Update.

Ownership
  • Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
  • One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.

Capacity
  • Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
    • 8 Large
    • 4 Medium
    • 4 Small
  • Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.

Operations
  • All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
  • Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Mercenary
    • Pirate
    • Trader
    • Smuggler
    • Miner
    • Explorer
    • Search and Rescue

Travel
  • 500 LY jump range (per jump)
  • Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
  • Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.

We'll be delving deeper into Fleet Carriers and all they can do in upcoming livestreams and forum posts later this year!

September Update

For those of you who have been stranded out in the black and somehow missed it, here's also a super-duper QUICK recap of the September Update.
  • This year's updates are focused on improving the starter experience for new commanders. We're adding a fully-voiced, in-game, in-ship tutorial, covering the basics of space flight, combat, traveling and scanning. Also, this experience is available in all of our in-game supported languages! Speaking of you veterans, you'll be able to access this from your right-hand panel at any time so you won't even need to wipe your save!
  • In addition, we'll be reworking and rebranding what some of you might know as Frontier Points, introducing them as Arx. These Arx will be purchasable and used to buy Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more. What's great about Arx is that you will be able to earn them in-game by... simply playing the game!
The September Update will be launched 18 September for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

Fly safe, Commanders!

Q&A
Greetings Commanders,

The Gamescom Fleet Carrier Reveal was such an exciting moment for us, and after reading through your feedback, we can see that it was also exciting for you! We wanted to take this opportunity to answer some of your questions, keeping in mind that we will be revealing more about Fleet Carriers, closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers jump on the Thursday Server tick?
Fleet Carriers will not be restricted to the Thursday server tick in order to jump.

Can you clarify what 'unique' resources are?
It will be a new commodity, which can be mined or bought from certain starports. We will be exploring this in more detail in a future livestream closer to the December Update.

Will Fleet Carriers be bought with Arx?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be purchasable with Arx.

Can we customise our Carriers?
Yes, Fleet Carriers can be customised, but this is something we are going to be looking at in livestreams closer to the Decembers Update's launch.

Can Squadron members contribute to the cost?
The cost for a Fleet Carrier will come from the single commander who owns the carrier. Squadron members will not be able to contribute.

Is the Fleet Carrier restricted to the 'Bubble'?
Fleet Carriers can be purchased from certain systems and can travel outside of 'Human Space', providing they have the fuel to do so.

Where can I buy Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers are purchased from certain systems, which we will look further into during our 'deeper dive' livestream.

Do Fleet Carriers work in Solo?
Fleet Carriers will work and operate in all game modes, so Open, Solo, and Private Groups.

Are Fleet Carriers destructible, and can they defend themselves?
Fleet Carriers are not destructible, but they can defend themselves and other nearby ships.

Do the loadouts have a practical effect in-game?
We will be delving deeper into loadouts, and Support Vessels in later livestreams.

Can you sell Fleet Carriers?
Fleet Carriers can be scrapped, however, it will be for fewer credits than the original purchase amount.

Will a commanders Fleet Carriers persist when logging in and out?
Fleet Carriers are persistent and will remain in the game regardless of whether or not the owner is online.

Can you change the type of carrier you have?
The 'type' of Fleet Carrier that you have is determined by the Support Vessel assigned to it, which in turn, determines its loadout. As mentioned above, this is something we will be talking about in a future stream.

Can Fleet Carriers jump into permit-locked systems?
No, Fleet Carriers will not be able to jump into permit-locked systems.

We hope this gives you an initial insight into Fleet Carriers. Do keep in mind that Fleet Carriers will be released in the December Update, and we will be showing off more about them in livestreams and forum posts closer to its launch. Thank you all for your feedback and questions, and we can't wait to reveal more as time goes on.
So, about the upcoming carriers. Are you there Paige? Hello?

Fdev: "Hey, we're going to reveal details of upcoming carriers at the community meetup at Gamescom as it's nice to show things to the community"
Chimp: "Nah, community gets nothing"

Is that how you envisage it? 🤔
FDev: "We don't want to go to GamesCon empty handed..."
Chimp: Hides in the corner quietly.
FDev: "...so send over that mock-up on Squadron Carriers"
Chimp: Readies a fresh poo.
FDev: "The whales are gunna eat this up."
Chimp: Does what comes naturally, flings poo, sizes up room before choosing whose face and fingers to eat.

I wholeheartedly agree.

What worth will it add but the carrot-on-a-stick-of-hopes-and-dreams?
It adds things for explorers and possilby miners. Explorers were hoping to get 500 ly jumps to get to new places. It might not help you but it does help others with what there is to the game. It's better than nothing.

Considering they already started implementing this with the last event I was hoping it would be done and we could have something new. I really wanted this for exploration as I can't stand jumping a million times to get anywhere. I like spot exploration. I want to go where I want to and explore as I feel like it. The journey sucks. It boring and repetitive. Not enough to it it to make it worthwhile atm.

Guess this should have been sadly expected after no info at the september update. I don't see how much they had to do if they ahd most of it worked out with the exploration thing. If it's a problem with the fuel just use void opals and other minalbe stuff in game already. Manufacture it out of parts already existing then use time to convert in the ship. It's not that big of a deal. If it's wrong retcon it later. Or make up a story about the thargoids messing up people stuff because they eat void opals like we eat pizza or something.
I doubt you will be able to leave it anywhere you want. My guess is that you can only select the system and it goes into a solar orbit of the game's choice. You might be able to specify a planet to orbit. But you won't have any control finer than that and they won't be able to move from that position other than by hyperjumping to a new system.

It's possible that you only see carriers that you are allowed to land on. That would reduce the clutter in busy systems. But it also means that a faction under attack by a mercenary squadron could not blockade their carrier. Which to my mind would be a shame.
As they were mining ships and whatnot you were probably going to be able to go to any location you can pick and setup like a USS outside. How else would mining setups work? then either part of the ship helps or the point is to use ships do to stuff and shorthand the distance and make a safe spot. NPC's might follow you into the instance and attack and you then need the carrier to help shoot. Assuming it doesn't turn on you of course.

This all also makes sense from the reality of existing assets. It's the simplest course of action. Which also makes me surprised it wasn't done. They have so much to use to add this already. It's not like it's a new ship type. It's just a new type of an existing ship.

I really thought I was going to have something to do finally. Games are getting more boring by the day. Can't stand any of them much anymore. No ambition and no progress. It's like everybody just wants to go through the motions or it's personal goof of time and nobody is there to make stuff anymore. This is the consequence of education dumbing down. It's gets slowly harder to do things and the inertia is lost to too much drag. You would think a space game would make that easier, but oh well.

Last edited:
Frontier, please let players customize the look of their Fleet Carrier. A lot of people prefer to make changes to the default design. Add cosmetics for Empire, Federation, Alliance and Independent carriers.

Top Bottom