ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So I have 2 friends (yeah right), with carriers in the same system, parked beside each other.
How do I land on friend b's carrier, when friend a is in my instance?
Keep relogging until the "right" instancing happens?
Think the game is fractured right now? Just wait.

So I have 2 friends (yeah right), with carriers in the same system, parked beside each other.
How do I land on friend b's carrier, when friend a is in my instance?
Keep relogging until the "right" instancing happens?
Think the game is fractured right now? Just wait.
I think anyone can see any carrier. If you go into a system with multiple carriers in then there will be multiple signal sources in SC. If you go to one of them, then you will see a carrier. However, carriers cannot use SC and probably not even thrusters other than as a special effect prior to a hyperjump. Once a carrier is in a system, it stays where it is.

They have no bridge and no flight controls other than commanding a hyperjump, which is done remotely.

You can refuel them and you can set the access requirements. All that those will do is to specify who can dock, not who can see it.

Carriers cannot be destroyed. They cannot ram each other, since they can never be in the same areas of space and, as megaships, normal ship weaponary would not be expected to damage them. It doesn't matter who can see them, and it makes no sense that a mercenary squadron might be able to jump a megaship into a system undetected.

I think people are getting confused by the word "instance". It is often used loosely and it has two different meanings.
We use it to refer to the set of people who can interact with each other. That is a server instance. One (probably virtual) machine somewhere that is running the galaxy. There are multiple machines each handling everything in the galaxy for a set of players.
But that is not what Frontier call an instance. Each system in supercruise and each volume of space in that system is a separate instance. Each is entirely separate from each other and nothing that happens in one can have any effect on any other. The servers move players between instances as we enter and leave supercruise or hyperspace. It is exactly like entering a building in Fallout or any other FPS. You are transferred from one map to another. You can't look out of the windows because the outside world does not exist in your map. In the same way, you can't see signal sources in normal space because only the supercruise instance knows about them.

Frontier are not going to allocate a new (even virtual) machine for every carrier. They cannot afford to run a hundred thousand servers.

What they can do is to ensure that every carrier has its own instance of space so no two will ever occupy the same space at the same time.

Carriers are persistent across all modes and server instances. If a carrier is there, then anyone can see it. Space is big enough that an orbit at 300 ls could hold every carrier that might ever exist with no possibility of ever traveling from one to the other in normal space (although I believe that the Cobra engine can cope if someone managed it). If you traveled to Shinrata you might see a hundred carriers in the system, but only as signal sources in supercruise. If you drop in on one then you will see it. You can ram it and fire at it but it will take no damage. You can land on it if you have permission to do so.

So you think we'll need to SC to find a POI / signal source for a carrier?
Yes
You may not need to FSS or scan the nav beacon though. Carriers will be semi-permanent in that they are known about in the Frontier database, so they may behave like planets and stations, rather than USS and ships.

Last edited:
Exactly - the carriers are clearly intended to be first and foremost a personal mobile base of operations.
More like a giant primitive camping kit. I can't see them having much to offer outside of ship functions - repair, refuel, rearm, maybe some module swapping. I don't see them having a mission board, except perhaps for things like "Resupply Jump Fuel" and possible an "Upgrade" that unlocks things like Repair, Refuel, Rearm. I don't see them having a market, power play contacts, a black market, Search and Rescue, a Passenger Lounge, or Stellar Cartography. In short, I don't see them as being personal, mobile space stations, as this would render space stations rather obsolete, which in turn would be the collapse of BGS, and most of the game as we know it.

So station Ultra-ultra light might be close. The real question is How Annoying Will It Be to Refuel a Carrier?

From what we have been told, these things jump 500 ly max, per jump, and can make several jumps at that range before requiring refueling. What we don't know is how much fuel capacity they have. We know they're fueled by something new - some manner of commodity we can either purchase or mine. Purchasing it is fine if you're in the bubble. Outside of the bubble, it's going to make a big difference how available this commodity is - if it's as rare as low temperature diamonds it's going to become a pain point.

It would be great if the planned "deep dive" has a Q&A, as these are some of the Q's that need A'd.

From what has been published, we won't be piloting Carriers.

I strongly suspect that moving the Carrier will be achieved from whichever pilot's chair we are in in one of our own ships, accessing a new HUD element for Carrier control.
"Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy"

I think there won't even be any HUD ,just a marker on the galaxy map to move :D,and then the current station screen. But I would like it to be implemented, at least between jumps, and different from normal ships.

Sorry if this has been asked/discussed here (I know FD hasn't detailed it).

Let's say I give permission to someone to land on my carrier. They land and then log off. We have a falling out over something (Arx ruined everything/nothing:cautious:). Or for whatever reason, I revoke their docking priviledges. First, will that be allowed? Second, what happens to their ship(s) that are docked?

Regardless of the answer to these questions, they and other situations presented here and in other threads on FC shows the miriad of conditions FDevs have to account for. Perhaps why the delay in implementation. I don't envy them for that but as a programmer, I can't wait to see how they handled them all - and the ones none of us have yet to consider/identify. Devil's in the details. :geek:

Let's say I give permission to someone to land on my carrier. They land and then log off. We have a falling out over something (Arx ruined everything/nothing:cautious:). Or for whatever reason, I revoke their docking priviledges. First, will that be allowed? Second, what happens to their ship(s) that are docked?
My guess is that they will be able to launch but unable to dock, instance wise if you block them then I suspect they will not instance with you even if you are on the carrier.

Alternatively, they may take the same approach as with the Thargoid station attacks - any ships located there get relocated to the nearest port.

I would probably bank on the first option being the case though.

Last edited:
Carriers are persistent across all modes and server instances. If a carrier is there, then anyone can see it. Space is big enough that an orbit at 300 ls could hold every carrier that might ever exist with no possibility of ever traveling from one to the other in normal space (although I believe that the Cobra engine can cope if someone managed it). If you traveled to Shinrata you might see a hundred carriers in the system, but only as signal sources in supercruise. If you drop in on one then you will see it. You can ram it and fire at it but it will take no damage. You can land on it if you have permission to do so.
Yes, the engine can totally handle it. It's possible (if slow) to travel between different locations in space under thruster power alone. For instance, flying from a station to a beacon or megaship orbiting the same planet a few thousand km away. The client and server somehow negotiate to move players between instances in cases like that, and while there are a few corner cases that produce bugs (looking at you, ring gaps) it mostly just works. Based on that and the usual 1000 km sphere-of-influence rule, my guess is that carriers will never be placed less than 1000 km apart. So you can still park a bajillion carriers in orbits above a popular planet, and you will be able to fly between them in normal space if you really want to, but normally you will drop into their instances like any other POI in space. And they will certainly never be within weapons range of each other.

Fun calculation time.

Geo-stationary orbit around a planet with an Earth-like mass and rotational period has a radius of 42 Mm. The circumference (2 pi r) is 263 Mm.

So only 263 carriers at a 1000km separation. I could only see us exceeding that if there was a Carrier Owners Club meet-up. But, if necessary, the server could just allocate the extra carriers a second orbit 1,000km further out.

On the other hand, a 1 AU solar orbit (270 ls) is 150,000 Mm radius, giving a circumference of 942,477 Mm. That's the best part of a million carriers.

Last edited:

Regardless of the answer to these questions, they and other situations presented here and in other threads on FC shows the miriad of conditions FDevs have to account for. Perhaps why the delay in implementation. I don't envy them for that but as a programmer, I can't wait to see how they handled them all - and the ones none of us have yet to consider/identify. Devil's in the details. :geek:
Perhaps it can be like you apply to join wing, permission granted, boot them from wing: denied. They have to be away from the FC
What about ...
Only one FC per instance, but you can have many in the same location. Your wing beacon is your id card to your wing's instance?
Or ....
You could be on-board for a jump, get kicked from the wing and end up in Carcosa with your wee willie FdL that only goes 10LY :D

The way I would implement it is that the player gets kicked off the carrier immediately and, either immediately or when they next log in, they get something similar to the rebuy screen: "do you want to stay here or re-spawn at the last station you docked with?"

I do want the option to eject ships. If, for example, I set up a carrier out in the black with public access for refuel and outfitting. Then a gang of yobs drop by and fill up all my pads so even I can't land. I want to be able to take the carrier Private for a brief time to eject them.

So; you're on your fleet carrier; now what?

Deliver X amount of Bauxite to X location? So what?

Kill the Pirate Lord X? So what?

Scan the planet. So what?

Any chance of this game blowing up are gone; lost in the myriad of 'updates' and 'patches' and zero gameplay after you obtain the big ships.

What is Elite: Dangerous. All I ever see is that it's a sit-in-dock-and-chat simulator with nothing ever really happening.

Every story or piece of lore becomes a dead end. This 'game' is a micro-transaction time sink shop dressed up as.... whatever it is....

So; you're on your fleet carrier; now what?

Deliver X amount of Bauxite to X location? So what?

Kill the Pirate Lord X? So what?

Scan the planet. So what?

Any chance of this game blowing up are gone; lost in the myriad of 'updates' and 'patches' and zero gameplay after you obtain the big ships.

What is Elite: Dangerous. All I ever see is that it's a sit-in-dock-and-chat simulator with nothing ever really happening.

Every story or piece of lore becomes a dead end. This 'game' is a micro-transaction time sink shop dressed up as.... whatever it is....
I can see no justification for all that. I never sit in dock and chat to anyone and I find plenty I want to do so obviously there isn't "zero gameplay".

I can see no justification for all that. I never sit in dock and chat to anyone and I find plenty I want to do so obviously there isn't "zero gameplay".
"...there is zero gameplay after you obtain the big ships." At least quote the end of the sentence too.

Ok, quote noted, but I often use my T9, Cutter, Corvette or one of my Anacondas in my gameplay.
Tell that to the droves who left the game because there is zero gameplay.

Fleet carriers are just another hopeful carrot-on-a-stick; creating a buffer zone in which to purchase micro-transactions and keep up hope, buying time for the developers to plug holes in the leaking ship.

Ideas are cool. Stuff is cool. Making your own fun is cool.

However.... ideas, stuff and making your own fun is not gameplay.

Tell that to the droves who left the game because there is zero gameplay.

Fleet carriers are just another hopeful carrot-on-a-stick; creating a buffer zone in which to purchase micro-transactions and keep up hope, buying time for the developers to plug holes in the leaking ship.

Ideas are cool. Stuff is cool. Making your own fun is cool.

However.... ideas, stuff and making your own fun is not gameplay.
Well, I'm going to tell you straight that you're wrong. Since I play this game I know that by definition there is not "zero gameplay".

Now I'm going to ask you: do you play it?

This is a logic trap. If you reply "no" I'm going to say that you are in no position to talk about its gameplay; if you reply "yes" I'm going to point out that you've admitted the gameplay is non-zero.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom