Game now unusable - are my PC specs/graphics still good enough?! :-(

I’m running an i7-7700k with 16gb ram, 1080Ti and VR through a cable-linked Quest2, and I’m running Odyssey just fine.
I must be an anomaly…

Hey , all
I seem to have the same issue. I did not yet buy Oddisey. I try to play ED Horizons. But even the menu is slow. It is as my graphics card is not being used at all. But it indicates that i am using my 1050ti. I could play ED Horizons perfectly a few months ago. Turning back now to it makes it completely unplayable. I am turning back to No mans sky which plays still perfectly. (lower settings because of my old machine)

Specs : 8gb , playing from an old slow hd. 1050ti , Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz, Win10 64bit
Something must have drastically changed to make it that unplayable.
The only issue I had before when there was a dogfight with 20 ships. Then i became slow. But now i have a frame rate of 1/sec.

In my opinion my specs are above the specs if found for ed Horizons below. So it should be at least playable on minumum specs.

• CPU: Info.
  • CPU SPEED: Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz)
  • RAM: 6 GB.
  • VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 470 / ATI 7240HD.
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0.
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0.
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 8 GB.

I played horizons with 1050 on laptop with high settings ... for some time.
But with void opals (core mining when you need to explode asteroids) and later updates the game lost performance in unexpected places (for example opening left/right panels got noticeable lags).

Hey , all
I seem to have the same issue. I did not yet buy Oddisey. I try to play ED Horizons. But even the menu is slow. It is as my graphics card is not being used at all. But it indicates that i am using my 1050ti. I could play ED Horizons perfectly a few months ago. Turning back now to it makes it completely unplayable. I am turning back to No mans sky which plays still perfectly. (lower settings because of my old machine)

Specs : 8gb , playing from an old slow hd. 1050ti , Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz, Win10 64bit
Something must have drastically changed to make it that unplayable.
The only issue I had before when there was a dogfight with 20 ships. Then i became slow. But now i have a frame rate of 1/sec.

In my opinion my specs are above the specs if found for ed Horizons below. So it should be at least playable on minumum specs.

• CPU: Info.
  • CPU SPEED: Quad Core CPU (4 x 2Ghz)
  • RAM: 6 GB.
  • VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GTX 470 / ATI 7240HD.
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0.
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0.
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 8 GB.
That's exactly it! It's actually unplayable even just in menus - before I've even loaded the save game... just trying to access and change settings (graphics, sound etc) is bollixed. It's clearly not graphics - something is totally throttling the game. It must be a setting/config somewhere, either within the game or within Win10.

That's exactly it! It's actually unplayable even just in menus - before I've even loaded the save game... just trying to access and change settings (graphics, sound etc) is bollixed. It's clearly not graphics - something is totally throttling the game. It must be a setting/config somewhere, either within the game or within Win10.
The last time I had an experience like that, it was because somehow my graphics card wasn't being used, and the built-in Intel graphics were enabled instead. I had plugged my cable from the monitor into the wrong socket on my computer, and the motherboard detected that and enabled the built-in graphics.

Maybe it's something funny like that.

The last time I had an experience like that, it was because somehow my graphics card wasn't being used, and the built-in Intel graphics were enabled instead. I had plugged my cable from the monitor into the wrong socket on my computer, and the motherboard detected that and enabled the built-in graphics.

Maybe it's something funny like that.
I thought that so checked - nope. Have just updated the nvidia driver and about to re-start though.... <crosses fingers>

I thought that so checked - nope. Have just updated the nvidia driver and about to re-start though.... <crosses fingers>
Nope.

There's another problem here - I'm not going to give up, so I'm going to waste bloody hours on this!! I mean, CoD MW2, Planet Zoo and some others all work just as they used to, so it can't be the GPU (because even the pre-game menus are FUBARd).

Hmm. That is definitely perplexing. I was about to suggest more detail after reading the post by @Codger, thinking that had promise but since you report that other games appear to function correctly...
Great to hear that you're not giving up. If I think of anything else...
If you find something, I think it's clear that others could benefit from your experience.

I know that on desktop PCs, some BIOS-es have a setting for preferred GPU interface to use (onboard vs slot), so you don't have to bother with the option in the OS. On my laptop, I use the OS option because they're both 'onboard.'

Hey some other info. I tried the arena part of the game where you can dogfight. That part still works as a charm. menu's are reacting normaly.
I fear that some mods to the engine have broken stuff for me now. A pitty. i played the first time elite on my C64. Still have the box with the tape inside it.
I was a big fan but it is cooling down.

PS : i also reinstalled the game and went back to previous version of the graphics driver. All to no avail.

I thought min spec for horizons was a GTX780 if that's correct than I am not suprised a GTX470 is having mental health issues ;)
but I run odd on as low as a GTX980 so a 1050TI shouldn't have a problem
suggestions
close game and delete the gpuworktable.xml from your products folder
reinstall latest gpu driver package utilizing its clean install option
use the log of machine function in the game launcher options
reboot pc re try game

Last edited:
Ok, so final post. I've bitten the bullet and found a GTX 1060 on ebay - should be here this week. I'm going to assume a slight up-tick in performance... ;-)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone!

The GPU will struggle with filling and vacating the VRAM (the 3 GB and the 6 GB versions, with it being worse for the 3 GB version) but otherwise you should, in most cases, reach at least 30 FPS. Do not try to do ground CZs with that GPU.

Ok, so final post. I've bitten the bullet and found a GTX 1060 on ebay - should be here this week. I'm going to assume a slight up-tick in performance... ;-)

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone!

That should be perfectly fine for Horizons, on high/ultra at 1080p too.

It will struggle with Oddy (I think more processor than GPU) but then everything does.

The new GPU is great. Game still f*cked though - can't be the CPU, I know it's old but it was fine just 6 months ago. Ah well, back to CoDMW2 and Minecraft it is...

Given you can run a single instal or Horizons in both Horizons and Dangerous mode (smirk) can you also run Odyssey in this modes?

As in, is it possible you are running Odyssey in “Horizons” mode instead of Horizons itself?

🤷‍♂️

NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (6GB) - or am I missing something??
I played using GTX 1050 2Gb ... 1080p with 0.65 downscale and "AMD thing" sharpening, Ody was doing 10-23 fps at best.
GTX 1030 is lesser model so don't expect too much.

For GTX 1060 you should use downscale I guess too. I.e. set less then 1 value, like 0.85. Then sharpen by amd thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom