Notice GalNet changes

crossposted from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/i-cant-take-it-anymore.532199/page-3 I thought my mini-rant was better placed here.
That’s my main beef with the dead time transits. Avoiding them becomes a pain. A game mechanic that provided a fun way to engage with them would be preferable :)
At the risk of becoming a dead horse beater like the seismic guy, I used to listen to Galnet on the long haul trips :| I liked doing them for that reason. That's when I listened to Galnet. I no longer do that or do long distance in-system travel requiring missions. Thanks, creative team at FD. Good job.

I'm not saying the stories were great, or groundbreaking or essential to the game but the galaxy is now devoid of news and feels quite a bit shallower to me. The only thing that has happened in the last month is the Golconda. That's the ONLY news in the whole galaxy? The only thing to happen? It makes zero in-game sense.

They had the perfect opportunity to make the changes to Galnet positive, to focus on player driven narratives, on BGS movement, power play, discoveries, player events, but no. We get the same biowaste, just less of it. Stories about community goals are the only news worthy event. They should give serious consideration to letting the people behind sagittarius eye, lave radio, radio sidewinder et al get in game "stations" we can listen to/read.

Mini rant over. Saddness dissipating.

Last edited:
I applaud the move to run news / current affairs that effect players gameplay or simply where a player can choose to get involved with the news directly. However I think Galnet was still good at providing those greater / wider stories that kept the ambience going and the broader direction of the game. So as some others have already eluded, could we have a bit of both? A bit like having national news and local news? Perhaps better still, in time invite experienced players to create stories and content to then be introduced in the game for a short period. Obviously there's still the overhead in reviewing submissions and applying the news along with the effects in the game, but it might help reduce the creativity overhead. Ultimately I'd hate to think that as Galnet provides more interactive news, the interaction is just another set of recurring templates based on the current community goals. Let's hope they are more short term, dynamic and creative. Go FDev!

I understand what they are doing and why. But as others have pointed out, part of the immersion is having "news and entertainment radio". One of the reasons I like Radio Sidewinder is that it leans into the role playing -- the commercials are, in my opinion, the best part (the music does get tired and repetitious after an hour or so). Sadly, when Radio Sidewinder brings the GalNet news feeds, you often hear something that's several days or weeks old.

It would be a pretty considerable effort, but if there were reports of various things actually going on across the galaxy in the player faction arena, that would be cool. Latest rescue stories from the Hull Seals or Fuel Rats...escalating tensions between player factions (like what recently happened out in Colonia)...the opportunities are there.

I understand what they are doing and why. But as others have pointed out, part of the immersion is having "news and entertainment radio". One of the reasons I like Radio Sidewinder is that it leans into the role playing -- the commercials are, in my opinion, the best part (the music does get tired and repetitious after an hour or so). Sadly, when Radio Sidewinder brings the GalNet news feeds, you often hear something that's several days or weeks old.

It would be a pretty considerable effort, but if there were reports of various things actually going on across the galaxy in the player faction arena, that would be cool. Latest rescue stories from the Hull Seals or Fuel Rats...escalating tensions between player factions (like what recently happened out in Colonia)...the opportunities are there.

If FD tried to do that, they would instantly get called biased or "get the whole story wrong"

crossposted from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/i-cant-take-it-anymore.532199/page-3 I thought my mini-rant was better placed here.

At the risk of becoming a dead horse beater like the seismic guy, I used to listen to Galnet on the long haul trips :| I liked doing them for that reason. That's when I listened to Galnet. I no longer do that or do long distance in-system travel requiring missions. Thanks, creative team at FD. Good job.

I'm not saying the stories were great, or groundbreaking or essential to the game but the galaxy is now devoid of news and feels quite a bit shallower to me. The only thing that has happened in the last month is the Golconda. That's the ONLY news in the whole galaxy? The only thing to happen? It makes zero in-game sense.

They had the perfect opportunity to make the changes to Galnet positive, to focus on player driven narratives, on BGS movement, power play, discoveries, player events, but no. We get the same biowaste, just less of it. Stories about community goals are the only news worthy event. They should give serious consideration to letting the people behind sagittarius eye, lave radio, radio sidewinder et al get in game "stations" we can listen to/read.

Mini rant over. Saddness dissipating.
I like the idea of having independent player-run galaxy news accessible in-game. I always liked listening to galnet on longer hauls. IMO any changes made to any part of elite should add depth. Make every system and station feel unique and alive.

I like the idea of having independent player-run galaxy news accessible in-game. I always liked listening to galnet on longer hauls. IMO any changes made to any part of elite should add depth. Make every system and station feel unique and alive.
It would be nice, but alas, I doubt FD care at this stage. :(

I'm later to this particular party. Been playing the game regularly but missed this announcement.

I liked the Galnet articles. I don't remember seeing many - if any - comments by people saying they were confused as to which were interactive and which were just 'fluff'. I'd liked to hope FDev credited the player base with a little more intelligence than that. If player confusion was genuinely are problem, which not add a 'flair' to the posts which were Community Goal related or otherwise interactive? Either that, or bring back some of the historical articles - e.g. the development of hyperdrive / FSD. For FDev to bring us GalNet audio then shelve the content is not good.

It feels more like "we can't spare the staff to do this anymore so we're scrapping it and blaming the players."

or fdev could have a subscription service for 1 dollar a month @ 6000 subscribers or less if there ends up being more to hire a full time writer at like 80k usd yearly salary to create galnet articles for as long as people care to subscribe.

It's infuriating to keep hearing about compromises in the game because of funding when the way it's funded is entirely a voluntary choice by fdev. If a game that requires constant maintenance and content contributions because there are no player contribution avenues ..and single time payments years ago can't sustain it ...then stop using that revenue model. Or at least, stop only using it. Plenty of people would pay a subscription to bring back the caliber (or better) of content that was around in year 1 and 2 and even 3

or fdev could have a subscription service for 1 dollar a month @ 6000 subscribers or less if there ends up being more to hire a full time writer at like 80k usd yearly salary to create galnet articles for as long as people care to subscribe.

It's infuriating to keep hearing about compromises in the game because of funding when the way it's funded is entirely a voluntary choice by fdev. If a game that requires constant maintenance and content contributions because there are no player contribution avenues ..and single time payments years ago can't sustain it ...then stop using that revenue model. Or at least, stop only using it. Plenty of people would pay a subscription to bring back the caliber (or better) of content that was around in year 1 and 2 and even 3
Obligation to backers ends soon.

there's no obligation to backers that prohibits them from supplementing the game with an optional subscription that doesn't restrict access to the content that stems from that subscription.

Basically a voluntary subscription service with no exclusive or pre-release or subsidized access to anything.

The primary difference between this and some kind of donation system would be that subscribing guarantees a dedicated writer at the very least, so long as subscriptions stay in a preset range on avg every month. A game with players around the world should have no trouble rounding up 6000 or more players willing to pay 12 dollars a year for continual creative content and those that dont pay still get all of the benefits

Hmm so if i understand this right, i will get less storys on the general story in ED but more news whats happening, like CGs and other stuff ppl do.

Actually i was already wondering when Frontier gives up the story telling effort and just post some playernews or something that is on forums 1st.

This basicly means ED has not background story anymore and there is no real reason to listen to Galnet news anymore.
Everything i need to know i get with the newsletter or Forums, Galnet will just give me some info on it in game sooner or later.

This is very sad. Well its no big deal i dont care about the game much anymore. The only stuff i can do is earn money or collect materials to engineer ships i dont even use.
If i want to earn money i do mining, CGs are not really worth the time moneywise anymore. I only do them when there is a benefit like reduced prices on ships or getting stations or megaships out. But i dont invest much time into them.
Really how boring are CGs ? Its the same stuff since years.
There was so much feedback given how to make the game more interesting with better quests and playerinteracting but nope its still the same old stuff.
Just making money or materials. If done everything already, so if there was anything interesting still, it was thouse storys from the frontier, that had nothing to do with gameplay but with the life and politics in the galaxy.

Frontier, you dont need to bring news about player activitys or pay me Arx for playing this game.
You need to add interesting and fun gameplay, fun multiplayer gameplay. Even the delayed carriers will give nothing new or interesting, ppl buy em and thats it.

I wait for years to have a good reason to party up with someone and do fun things, but bugs or less earnings make multiplayer useless.
I wait for years for new fun stuff, but most of the time its only the same thing made different.

I gave up hope on ever get my lifetime pass investment back to make it worthwhile. To me it was just money thrown out of the window. From promised payed content every year and closed betas, to free updates and no betas or open betas. Yay.

If i did not love the look and feel of the game so much i would not even bother with it anymore.

Hello Commanders,

Our galaxy is filled with a plethora of stories, places, and people, which are all part off the rich canon of Elite Dangerous, explored through many of our GalNet articles.

While GalNet provides an understanding of life in the 3300s, it hasn't always had a direct impact on your gameplay. We have been reviewing the effect this has had on your in-game experience, along with your feedback, and as a result, we’re going to be reducing the number of GalNet stories that we produce and instead focus on covering in-game content.

In the foreseeable future, GalNet articles will concentrate on in-game activity, such as Interstellar Initiatives, the release of new ships and modules, and significant narrative developments. With this change, we will be stopping the 'off-camera' narratives that we have previously published via GalNet.

We hope you have enjoyed the many stories that we have told, and as always please share your thoughts and feedback with us.
By way of feedback... This is a change is disappointing from my view point.
I am not a hardcore player so appreciate my finger my not be on the pulse in terms of the community. none the less..

When i do login to play, i love listening to the lore that Galnet used to provide, and really think that the storys provided lots of entertainment. in a way it was like listening to the news whilst driving to work, also given in elite you are not the focus of the story and just another dude making there way in the universe, this really added to that feeling.

Given the number of story's on galnet right now (its very sparse), i would have preferred to see an additive approach to this rather than a subtractive one.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
We've had this for almost half a year now and I must say that while at first I liked the idea, hoping there would be SLIGHTLY less stories (as per Stephen's FAQ post), but ones that would allow me to INVESTIGATE stuff in game.

Instead the ONLY stories being the ones about ongoing II's, which don't happen that often. Also, most of the stories - even though they are related to an ongoing II - are just as off-camera, as the previous stories were.

I think it was a terrible decision now that I've see how it actually works in practise. The galaxy feels very lifeless now :(

FDEV said they've hired additional writers... I'm very sorry to say, from a player's perspective it feels like they have sacked half of the team instead.

@Stephen Benedetti do you have any further info on the below please?

Can we expect to see more coverage on affairs with major player groups?
This is something we have discussed, and, while we don't have any concrete details for you right now, we fully intend to investigate this further.

Are the GalNet 'off-camera' stories getting totally removed, or just reduced?
For now, the plan is to remove them, but we may reassess this decision in the future. We’re always reviewing the changes we make to the game and their impact on the overall player experience, and adapting and adjusting where necessary.

Personally I'm less bothered by the lack of galnets that the cause of that - there's not much happening in the game.

Will there be any Interstellar Initiatives this year, or have the Open Letter Crew caused them to be postponed like they postponed Fleet Carriers?
You’re seriously blaming this on the players?

Top Bottom