Notice GalNet changes

When will we be seeing more interstellar initiatives. They seem to have died a death, will they continue or is it hopefully that you are busy fixing bugs? ☺☺

I wish they would bring back the regular Galnet updates. I remember getting legitimately angry when they ran the stories of the Far God Cult and the cult members were arbitrarily arrested. It brought a sense of depth and realism to the galaxy that’s missing these days. Some of these stories were boring fluff, but like the real news, there were some stories that spoke to my own values and made me feel like part of a living and evolving world.

-CMDR Ex

I wish they would bring back the regular Galnet updates. I remember getting legitimately angry when they ran the stories of the Far God Cult and the cult members were arbitrarily arrested. It brought a sense of depth and realism to the galaxy that’s missing these days. Some of these stories were boring fluff, but like the real news, there were some stories that spoke to my own values and made me feel like part of a living and evolving world.

-CMDR Ex
In my opinion this just adds to the general sense of the galaxy “winding” down. I loved listening to the “news and happenin’s” in the bubble and now, it feels rather dead. It was one of the most creative aspects of the persistent universe. Now, all we seem to have is a bloody persistent dialogue box at the main menu with out of date stories about poop and how to use it! It almost rubs it in that GalNet is dead. Please, at least remove the old recordings and stories from the menu and from status menu in-ship.

On this, I agree with Frontier's decision. I rarely read the news before because I knew that it was rarely reflected in the gameplay. While the stories were nice, they were ultimately just that: nice but not compelling. Now, when there is a news story, I am pretty confident that it is going to be reflected in the game, such as with the current CG. I have to hand it to Frontier: this particular series of famine stories, and the associated CG, has garnered my attention because they are both interesting (in a doom and gloom sort of way, something very suitable for this game's somber tone!) and reflected in the gameplay. If Frontier can keep it up, I will be very pleased.

Of course, the downside to the new system is that we now have an in-cockpit newsreader...with very little news to read. <facepalm> Perhaps Frontier could add just one "fluff" piece per week to complement that in-game stuff? Just for filler? Or, even better, why not allow the community to submit news, with Frontier choosing a few every week (again, for filler purposes)? I am thinking of something along the Sagittarius Eye's "Pilot Federation's Message Board"; pithy pieces of news submitted by the community.

On this, I agree with Frontier's decision. I rarely read the news before because I knew that it was rarely reflected in the gameplay. While the stories were nice, they were ultimately just that: nice but not compelling. Now, when there is a news story, I am pretty confident that it is going to be reflected in the game, such as with the current CG. I have to hand it to Frontier: this particular series of famine stories, and the associated CG, has garnered my attention because they are both interesting (in a doom and gloom sort of way, something very suitable for this game's somber tone!) and reflected in the gameplay. If Frontier can keep it up, I will be very pleased.

Of course, the downside to the new system is that we now have an in-cockpit newsreader...with very little news to read. <facepalm> Perhaps Frontier could add just one "fluff" piece per week to complement that in-game stuff? Just for filler? Or, even better, why not allow the community to submit news, with Frontier choosing a few every week (again, for filler purposes)? I am thinking of something along the Sagittarius Eye's "Pilot Federation's Message Board"; pithy pieces of news submitted by the community.
That’s a brilliant, not exactly labour intensive solution to a problem of redundant game features. Absolutely great way to keep the community engaged and keep creative juices flowing. “Make Pilots Publishers” 😁

The situation was entirely within FDs control: use the hints system. If a story had a gameplay angle a hint would pop up in that dusty corner called the Codex.

Either that or separate out stories so the fluff is the "and finally" stuff, with the understanding its just that- flavour.
Using the codex rumour section in combination with galnet articles would really makes sense. I don't understand why FDev doesn't use this feature at all, that was introduced with Beyond... As far as I know there hasn't been a single codex rumour.

See also this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/codex-rumours-where-are-they.509239/

Top Bottom