Notice GalNet changes

I wish they would bring back the regular Galnet updates. I remember getting legitimately angry when they ran the stories of the Far God Cult and the cult members were arbitrarily arrested. It brought a sense of depth and realism to the galaxy that’s missing these days. Some of these stories were boring fluff, but like the real news, there were some stories that spoke to my own values and made me feel like part of a living and evolving world.

-CMDR Ex

I wish they would bring back the regular Galnet updates. I remember getting legitimately angry when they ran the stories of the Far God Cult and the cult members were arbitrarily arrested. It brought a sense of depth and realism to the galaxy that’s missing these days. Some of these stories were boring fluff, but like the real news, there were some stories that spoke to my own values and made me feel like part of a living and evolving world.

-CMDR Ex
In my opinion this just adds to the general sense of the galaxy “winding” down. I loved listening to the “news and happenin’s” in the bubble and now, it feels rather dead. It was one of the most creative aspects of the persistent universe. Now, all we seem to have is a bloody persistent dialogue box at the main menu with out of date stories about poop and how to use it! It almost rubs it in that GalNet is dead. Please, at least remove the old recordings and stories from the menu and from status menu in-ship.

On this, I agree with Frontier's decision. I rarely read the news before because I knew that it was rarely reflected in the gameplay. While the stories were nice, they were ultimately just that: nice but not compelling. Now, when there is a news story, I am pretty confident that it is going to be reflected in the game, such as with the current CG. I have to hand it to Frontier: this particular series of famine stories, and the associated CG, has garnered my attention because they are both interesting (in a doom and gloom sort of way, something very suitable for this game's somber tone!) and reflected in the gameplay. If Frontier can keep it up, I will be very pleased.

Of course, the downside to the new system is that we now have an in-cockpit newsreader...with very little news to read. <facepalm> Perhaps Frontier could add just one "fluff" piece per week to complement that in-game stuff? Just for filler? Or, even better, why not allow the community to submit news, with Frontier choosing a few every week (again, for filler purposes)? I am thinking of something along the Sagittarius Eye's "Pilot Federation's Message Board"; pithy pieces of news submitted by the community.

On this, I agree with Frontier's decision. I rarely read the news before because I knew that it was rarely reflected in the gameplay. While the stories were nice, they were ultimately just that: nice but not compelling. Now, when there is a news story, I am pretty confident that it is going to be reflected in the game, such as with the current CG. I have to hand it to Frontier: this particular series of famine stories, and the associated CG, has garnered my attention because they are both interesting (in a doom and gloom sort of way, something very suitable for this game's somber tone!) and reflected in the gameplay. If Frontier can keep it up, I will be very pleased.

Of course, the downside to the new system is that we now have an in-cockpit newsreader...with very little news to read. <facepalm> Perhaps Frontier could add just one "fluff" piece per week to complement that in-game stuff? Just for filler? Or, even better, why not allow the community to submit news, with Frontier choosing a few every week (again, for filler purposes)? I am thinking of something along the Sagittarius Eye's "Pilot Federation's Message Board"; pithy pieces of news submitted by the community.
That’s a brilliant, not exactly labour intensive solution to a problem of redundant game features. Absolutely great way to keep the community engaged and keep creative juices flowing. “Make Pilots Publishers” 😁

The situation was entirely within FDs control: use the hints system. If a story had a gameplay angle a hint would pop up in that dusty corner called the Codex.

Either that or separate out stories so the fluff is the "and finally" stuff, with the understanding its just that- flavour.
Using the codex rumour section in combination with galnet articles would really makes sense. I don't understand why FDev doesn't use this feature at all, that was introduced with Beyond... As far as I know there hasn't been a single codex rumour.

See also this thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/codex-rumours-where-are-they.509239/

crossposted from https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/i-cant-take-it-anymore.532199/page-3 I thought my mini-rant was better placed here.
That’s my main beef with the dead time transits. Avoiding them becomes a pain. A game mechanic that provided a fun way to engage with them would be preferable :)
At the risk of becoming a dead horse beater like the seismic guy, I used to listen to Galnet on the long haul trips :| I liked doing them for that reason. That's when I listened to Galnet. I no longer do that or do long distance in-system travel requiring missions. Thanks, creative team at FD. Good job.

I'm not saying the stories were great, or groundbreaking or essential to the game but the galaxy is now devoid of news and feels quite a bit shallower to me. The only thing that has happened in the last month is the Golconda. That's the ONLY news in the whole galaxy? The only thing to happen? It makes zero in-game sense.

They had the perfect opportunity to make the changes to Galnet positive, to focus on player driven narratives, on BGS movement, power play, discoveries, player events, but no. We get the same biowaste, just less of it. Stories about community goals are the only news worthy event. They should give serious consideration to letting the people behind sagittarius eye, lave radio, radio sidewinder et al get in game "stations" we can listen to/read.

Mini rant over. Saddness dissipating.

Last edited:
I applaud the move to run news / current affairs that effect players gameplay or simply where a player can choose to get involved with the news directly. However I think Galnet was still good at providing those greater / wider stories that kept the ambience going and the broader direction of the game. So as some others have already eluded, could we have a bit of both? A bit like having national news and local news? Perhaps better still, in time invite experienced players to create stories and content to then be introduced in the game for a short period. Obviously there's still the overhead in reviewing submissions and applying the news along with the effects in the game, but it might help reduce the creativity overhead. Ultimately I'd hate to think that as Galnet provides more interactive news, the interaction is just another set of recurring templates based on the current community goals. Let's hope they are more short term, dynamic and creative. Go FDev!

I understand what they are doing and why. But as others have pointed out, part of the immersion is having "news and entertainment radio". One of the reasons I like Radio Sidewinder is that it leans into the role playing -- the commercials are, in my opinion, the best part (the music does get tired and repetitious after an hour or so). Sadly, when Radio Sidewinder brings the GalNet news feeds, you often hear something that's several days or weeks old.

It would be a pretty considerable effort, but if there were reports of various things actually going on across the galaxy in the player faction arena, that would be cool. Latest rescue stories from the Hull Seals or Fuel Rats...escalating tensions between player factions (like what recently happened out in Colonia)...the opportunities are there.

Top Bottom