Notice GalNet changes

Galnet was never in the game. That was it's entire problem. I don't think players expect detailed storylines with NPCs, action FMVs and boss fights. Just for something in galnet to connect to the actual game every once in a while.
No, i'm sorry but that's just silly. Nobody ever mentioned or expected "detailed storylines with NPCs, action FMVs and boss fights" (i honestly don't know where u got that from). But a simple mission tied to a Galnet article...... yes, that is the very definition of world-building.

I understand some people didn't care about Galnet at all. But you also got to understand that many other people cared about Galnet's fluff (although i wouldn't define lore as "fluff") much more than the entire Thargoid narrative.

I will miss the Galnet "fluff", details that brought background life to the game which you could listen to with TTS which they set everything up for.
But of course this time and effort costs resources, and the devs are simply winding back resources they don't have for an old game. Much like QA testing it seems.

It may have been time consuming but I strongly felt (at the time it was announced) that dropping those "off camera" Galnet stories was a HUGE mistake and a desparately sad day for Elite: Dangerous. Now it's been a few weeks and I'm feeling the effect, not only in-game but also in the knock-on effect into things like Pete Wotherspoon's twice weekly Galnet News Digest or the "Space News" feature in Guard Frequency (who are both somewhat short of in-game news to comment upon) I totally stand by this.

In one very real sense the galaxy (if not yet the game) is dead (i.e. devoid of life).

:cry:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
It may have been time consuming but I strongly felt (at the time it was announced) that dropping those "off camera" Galnet stories was a HUGE mistake and a desparately sad day for Elite: Dangerous. Now it's been a few weeks and I'm feeling the effect, not only in-game but also in the knock-on effect into things like Pete Wotherspoon's twice weekly Galnet News Digest or the "Space News" feature in Guard Frequency (who are both somewhat short of in-game news to comment upon) I totally stand by this.

In one very real sense the galaxy (if not yet the game) is dead (i.e. devoid of life).

:cry:
Yes, when I praised the decision, I expected the off camera stuff to be replaced by on camera stuff.

The latter didn't happen sadly... so far at least.

Nothing about new currency for example. Or the training simulation for new pilots.

Perfect opportunities to link stuff being added to the game with galnet articles. Shame, because that's what I expected after reading the FAQ.

Hello Commanders,

Our galaxy is filled with a plethora of stories, places, and people, which are all part off the rich canon of Elite Dangerous, explored through many of our GalNet articles.

While GalNet provides an understanding of life in the 3300s, it hasn't always had a direct impact on your gameplay. We have been reviewing the effect this has had on your in-game experience, along with your feedback, and as a result, we’re going to be reducing the number of GalNet stories that we produce and instead focus on covering in-game content.

In the foreseeable future, GalNet articles will concentrate on in-game activity, such as Interstellar Initiatives, the release of new ships and modules, and significant narrative developments. With this change, we will be stopping the 'off-camera' narratives that we have previously published via GalNet.

We hope you have enjoyed the many stories that we have told, and as always please share your thoughts and feedback with us.
A better idea, instead of reducing the amount of galnet stories and making the game somehow more boring, make more content to go with the amount of galnet stories that actually exist. Don't take the easy way out. More content less fluff

Just wanted to throw in here... since this change, the introduction of the low harvest story (with coinciding low supply levels) plus the Rockforth fertilizer have been just the sort of minor representation galnet stories needed.

Keep it up(y)
Exactly. That story proves you don't even need to tie a specific story to a mission in order to make galnet more relevant. Just a simple recounting of a minor event that had some sort of impact somewhere in the galaxy. This is what Galnet should be about.
More of that, please!! :)

Last edited:
yea that like it should have been, no we may see if the distribution of the Fertilisar does anything to the galaxy (famina state cause of bad stuff happining). Miner thing the pricing excident shouldn´t have been there

Yep the credits exploit was an unfortunate accident, however I would be more than happy to live with such accidents and ignore them as long as we got more stories like that one. That story wasn't just "fluff", that was "content". It opened up a gameplay opportunity. It's the perfect example of how even a small scale narrative can breathe life into the galaxy and make it feeling like a real place.

Just to articulate further my point, i'd like to invite you to watch this video(i know, it's a bit too long, but it's worth the time). I remember watching it years ago, and being absolutely amazed at how such a small story (it wasn't even a Galnet story, just one of those local stories you can read about in the station news reports!) led this guy and his friends to an amazing adventure. Solving a mistery in space! Discovering a big conspiracy and then coming up with your own theories about what you just witnessed.... this sh*t is amazing!
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy9WLi11598

And the best part is that there wasn't any handholding by frontier; there wasn't a specific mission, telling him "go there and investigate". He just read that story and decided to go ckeck it out.
Ever since i saw this video, i've never left a station without browsing through the local system news, just to see if i could find something like that.
And it doesn't matter if most stories don't lead to anything. that's ok. Infact i actually prefere it this way.... if every story led to a gameplay opportunity, then it would become predictable and boring (and it would also be an impossible ammount of work for Frontier).
But knowing that, sometimes, a minor story you read somewhere in the galaxy could lead to something "real", something you could witness and experience in the game-world.... that's fantastic.

Nevermind fleet carriers, space-legs, atmospheric landings.... this is what i really crave. Stories. Stories i can absent-mindedly read before leaving a station and going on with my business........ but that, sometimes, i could also trace back to an actual event going on somewhere in the galaxy.
This is the kind of stuff that turns elite dangerous from a mere playground for our mission-running, mining, trading, bounty hunting into a living, breathing place, where minor or major events unfold, wheter we notice it or not.

Exactly. That story proves you don't even need to tie a specific story to a mission in order to make galnet more relevant. Just a simple recounting of a minor event that had some sort of impact somewhere in the galaxy. This is what Galnet should be about.
More of that, please!! :)
Some of us would like our stories with a little more excitement than space agricultural shipping difficulties. I'm not saying it wasn't nice that was real-ish. Just that it doesn't have to be something so lame. Basically takes the old CGs and make them galnet articles with no CG reward

Some of us would like our stories with a little more excitement than space agricultural shipping difficulties. I'm not saying it wasn't nice that was real-ish. Just that it doesn't have to be something so lame. Basically takes the old CGs and make them galnet articles with no CG reward
Yeah, perhaps it wasn't the most compelling or exciting story, but like you said, it felt "real". Afterall not every story you read on the newspaper is about world changing events.
How many times have you gone into a system plagued by "famine" without really feeling anything different. I thought it was very cool to have a story to go along with a real situation going on in a system.

Of course that doesn't mean i wouldn't also like to read about more exciting stories. Infact i would like more of everything (high stakes stories involving the entire bubble aswell as local, minor stories): everything that breathes some life into the galaxy gets a big thumbs up from me :)

Top Bottom