Frontier to drop VR support in 2020?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Forgive me if I sound as cynical and jaded as I think this might be interpreted as, but I am rapidly arriving at the conclusion that "trying to engage FDEV in a dialogue" is an exercise in outright futility.
View attachment 179617
To engage in a dialogue, both parties have to be willing to talk, rather than one party just repeat, ad nauseam, the same carefully worded phrase.
:)

Yeh, never suggested it was going to be a slam dunk, but a discussion about hooks hopefully has a bit of a better chance to happen than a discussion about VR on launch or info about "when, if eventually".

Last edited:
I was working on collecting some Guardian module blueprints last night, and I decided to switch out of VR to pancake mode for a bit because I was getting the old SRV-motion-sickness".

I collected one blueprint and switched back to VR, nausea be damned! There's just no way I can play this game without VR now, it's all I've ever known. Having to reach in between my HOTAS to fat-finger keys on my too-big keyboard to operate headlook mode, to having to wear reading glasses to properly see my monitor because my eyes just aren't-what-they-used-to-be, nevermind the complete loss of that fantastic immersion (Guardian sites are not in the slightest creepy when I can see kid's toys out of the corner my eyes, or seeing and hearing my dog pacing behind me being all freaked out from Canada Day fireworks).

I don't have a fantastic monitor for this PC gaming rig, because I shouldn't need one with a VR headset. If I can use to install the needed software for VR, that's good enough, right?

Sigh.... I really don't know what I'm going to do. I'm already dreading Odyssey coming out. At least there's never been a piece of software ever that's been released that's met the original release schedule, so I have at least 18-24 months still, am I right?

Sigh.... I really don't know what I'm going to do. I'm already dreading Odyssey coming out. At least there's never been a piece of software ever that's been released that's met the original release schedule, so I have at least 18-24 months still, am I right?
feel you. it seems horizons will support vr even after odyssey so you should be covered (fingers crossed! frontier said so but i can't really rule out they say something different on release).

in fairness, though, the probability is high that you won't miss out much with odyssey. it will be a wholly different game. surely a must have for hardcore fans who will want all and every aspect of the 'ed franchise universe' lifestyle, but in the end it's going to be a fps with beautiful backdrops. like the zillions out there, which are ... mostly uninteresting? just one made by frontier? not really impressive credentials there. like you said, if you take vr away from horizons it devalues steeply. apart from stellar forge and the scale ... the actual gameplay isn't anything to write home about. there is zero reason to expect anything different from odyssey, plus the scale becomes a bit moot if action is localized on planets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom