Frontier to drop VR support in 2020?

The locomotion issues are going to be bad for a lot of people and they aren't going to allow teleport in a multiplayer environment. How about teleport available in solo or group mode only? Perhaps putting it under a bunch of warnings and declaring VR support for space legs as experimental would cut down on the complaints.

Who am I kidding. Of course they wouldn't.

The locomotion issues are going to be bad for a lot of people and they aren't going to allow teleport in a multiplayer environment. How about teleport available in solo or group mode only? Perhaps putting it under a bunch of warnings and declaring VR support for space legs as experimental would cut down on the complaints.

Who am I kidding. Of course they wouldn't.
One solution to the multiplayer teleport problem is to do the “fast dash” between points - from another player’s perspective the teleporting player looks to be doing short dashes between periods of standing still - it’s how Payday 2 does it.

If dropping VR (now it seems likely) wasn't enough, I'm totally uninterested in FPS gameplay and base building. I wish vanilla Horizons to remain online with the ability to visit the new planets.

This often comes up with generic 'Is VR dying' discussions on the web game magazines. Even Forbes had an article mentioning Elite Dangerous as a popular VR game but not in any way suggestion that Frontier will not support it in the future. Many can read an article so many different ways and can make a connection when one isn't there.

I really wouldn't stress over it. The whole rumor basically churned out of the forums, and honestly if you sit down and think about it the move would make no sense. They've invested a lot into VR already, the #1 youtube video by over a million extra views about ED is specifically focused on its VR component, and they haven't actually implied even the remotest hint that removing it is on their radar.

They'd lose more than they'd gain with that, basically.
Ahhhh, how confidently I was wrong lol.

Hmm ok, I thought this kind of body movement was developed with VR in mind. Hope I'm not wrong. 👀

Edit: At 06:04, on the right. Player reaching for the seat.

Last edited:
Hello there.
I'm another one hoping that FD will confirm VR support for the expansion. However, we know that this announcement was kinda... forced by the events. They are probably still in heavy development and maybe they aren't in position to confirm or deny it yet. VR development is hard and a seated simulation is kind of a perfect environment for VR. Space legs is a very different beast.
So, i will be waiting patiently for an announcement hoping for the best.

Regarding VR adoption in general, I think that putting some context in the numbers colud be useful.
Steam Survey, for example, says that 1.92% of steam users has a PC VR headset. That seems quite a small number, until you consider that Steam has about one billion registered users. So we are talking about nearly 20 millions VR users on Steam alone. I have no idea how many VR users registered, for example, only on the Oculus Store and not on Steam (probably not so many, I would think).
This number seems consistent with the sales data that someone else posted.

For comparison, according to wikipedia the Playstation 4 sold about 104M units worldwide.

The user base is there, and is growing. It's still a niche market becouse the average VR users doesn't spend as many money on the platform as the average PS4 user.
And technically there is still a long road ahead until it's really a user friendly platform.
But the potential is huge, so I really hope that this market keeps growing becouse it could be something really special.

I'm crossing my fingers!

Elite Dangerous is one of the few games up until Half Life Alyx that actually has supported VR and been worth playing - maybe add beat sabre to that (bit of a one trick pony though) - thing is, ED is about the only game I would consider playing in VR and even then I much prefer using EDtracker - AR vs VR as it were.
Now I have access to pretty much all the VR kit on the market (related to my job) and a fair bit of AR stuff as well - in fact my work place is at the leading edge of developing the hardware and software for both, so I do get a lot of cool kit to play with. And to be honest VR isn't something I enjoy for extended gaming, until we get a holodeck I'm not sure that will change. So I'm not sure it makes sense for any company to sink a huge amount into VR really - guess time will tell.

Elite Dangerous is one of the few games up until Half Life Alyx that actually has supported VR and been worth playing - maybe add beat sabre to that (bit of a one trick pony though) - thing is, ED is about the only game I would consider playing in VR and even then I much prefer using EDtracker - AR vs VR as it were.
Now I have access to pretty much all the VR kit on the market (related to my job) and a fair bit of AR stuff as well - in fact my work place is at the leading edge of developing the hardware and software for both, so I do get a lot of cool kit to play with. And to be honest VR isn't something I enjoy for extended gaming, until we get a holodeck I'm not sure that will change. So I'm not sure it makes sense for any company to sink a huge amount into VR really - guess time will tell.
Oh no, another lukewarm who only plays one game in VR. DCS is incredible. Have you heard of sim racing? FPS are just so good in VR too. I can't be arsed with monitors anymore. BTW EDtracker in 20 year old tech. Hold on, the 1990s are on the phone, apparently they want you back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom