Frontier to drop VR support in 2020?

@Ganogati You keep saying that VR exploded on the back of HL Alyx. I'm curious as to what data you're using to qualify this? The only reason I ask is because, if one googles the market data, it shows that VR exploded well before this. Maybe we just define explode differently :geek:
Additionally, along with Zodd's post: Worldwide, all major PC headsets except the Pimax (because no one knows how to use it lol) were sold out from fall of last year through recently. It was physically impossible to find a single major PC headset anywhere except for, amusingly, Japan. Backorders for Valve Indexes and Vive Pros had waiting lists that were months long. I put my email in for a Valve Index back in November, and still have yet to hear back.

Every VR headset being produced is already claimed by someone who likely put their order in last October lol. And while COVID has had something to do with that since March, it does not account for the fact that it was also this way 5 months prior.

The "headlock" that we have now, as implemented, is a bit problematic already: It does not seem to lock to one's real-world orientation as room-tracked, but rather to take a position/orientation "snapshot" and then keep track on its own, relative to that, so that errors can accumulate; Hopping into main menus a couple of times, seems to be a sure-fire way to acquire drift, leaving one needing to reset the HMD position with a quick F12, instead of things remaining "snapped" to where one took that snapshot, seated in one's meatspace chair.

I guess this is a remnant from days when the 3DOF Oculus Rift DK1 was the one and only headset, and ED one of the early adopters, never "properly" updated once Oculus and SteamVR got out of their initial develpment stages...
Is this right? I have never had this problem. (DK2, CV1 and Rift S) By the sounds of it I think something might be wrong with your HMD or your HMD's tracking cameras. You shouldn't suffer drift at all. Admittedly, I do need to press F12 once when the game is loaded but then I never need to it again unless I have taken off my HMD or alt+tabbed out of ED's window.

VR is a two letter acronym like CG and II, so it might be dropped at any time in order to make New Era better! All two letter acronyms are EXPENDABLE!

Muhahahah!!! :evilgrin:

Is this right? I have never had this problem. (DK2, CV1 and Rift S) By the sounds of it I think something might be wrong with your HMD or your HMD's tracking cameras. You shouldn't suffer drift at all. Admittedly, I do need to press F12 once when the game is loaded but then I never need to it again unless I have taken off my HMD or alt+tabbed out of ED's window.
This could actually have some truth to it, but it's something I've built a habit around to the point that I can't confirm or deny it even after 500 hours or so in ED VR lol. I mapped HMD reset to a really easy button on my HOTAS (I have the T16000M, so I mapped it to pushing in the little joystick where your left index finger naturally goes on the throttle), and I reset my HMD probably 10-12 times during a normal night of gameplay. Its just become such a natural thing to me that I don't think anything of it anymore, so I can't really say that this user is wrong. I've always just assume I reset my HMD because I shift in my chair or something like that, but it could be that the game is contributing as well.

VR is a two letter acronym like CG and II, so it might be dropped at any time in order to make New Era better! All two letter acronyms are EXPENDABLE!

Muhahahah!!! :evilgrin:
Nooooooooo!

Well, DK1, CV1, Vive, Pimax5k+, and Index, here, and I have had it with all of them (and made fundamental computer part swaps, and OS updates on a few occasions, during that time).

(I recall longing for proper room tracking with future headsets, back in DK1 days, and no longer having to deal with drift -- never could get a magnetometer lock. :7 )

Now; I do play seated in a reclining swivel chair, with the HOTAS set plonked down unattached atop a desk, and therefore have to reset occasionally anyway, whenever shifting posture, but there is drift on top of my real-world fidgetting; Not constant slowly creeping literal "drift", but what kind of comes across as accumulation of "memory gaps", where tracking seems to pick up where it left off, after periods of tracking hitches, instead of correlating with its F12:ed reference position in absolute space. Such periods could be severe frame hitches (presumably ones caused by performance spikes on the CPU side, rather than GPU); Spending some time in main menus (which appear to be more disruptive and heavy to lug around for the computer, than their ship UI panel counterparts) -- go into options and make changes to the rendered bitmap size, which is a rather disruptive action, and it is bound to happen; Or taking user focus away from the game.

If I tab out of the game, or take the HMD off, and return, and somehow manages to get back into my chair in such a way that the HMD ends up in meatspace exactly where it was before tabbing out, there should not be any need to F12 again - the previous positional/rotational snaphot in virtual space should remain 1:1 with its companion in real space.

Umh… Sorry about the ranting. :p

On a side note: I would definitely recommend upgrading from a CV1. I went from that to the Vive Pro and it was amazing; the text went from blurry to clear as day for me.

Besides ED, there are a lot of games worth using VR for in the sci fi and space realm. Everspace, No Man’s Sky, X Rebirth VR (actually quite good despite the desktop version being meh), etc. This doesn’t even count the non sci fi games like Skyrim and fallout4 VRs, HL Alyx, borderlands 2, etc.

I would definitely suggest getting something like a rift S or other more modern model for ED, just because even if this game dropped support (it won’t) there are quite a few other AAA games that are still all in and more to come, and it just makes ED so much more fun. To me, at least.
is everspace and nms any good? have it lying around for some time in my libary now, heard that the vr perfomance in nms really sucks even on high end machines.

is everspace and nms any good? have it lying around for some time in my libary now, heard that the vr perfomance in nms really sucks even on high end machines.
Everyspace is a ton of fun; it's a mission based game so it's nothing like ED, but by way of a space VR flight game it really was great and looked fantastic.

NMS in VR I haven't tried yet. I am very hyperfocused on 1 game at a time, so I've kept that game on backburner until I hit a point with ED where I'm too bored to go on, or where FDev changes the game too drastically for me to continue (like removing VR). This also gives the company time to work through any VR issues that it may have, because I figured them tacking on VR after the fact would result in exactly what you mentioned

Good grief seriously?
I literally just finished my PC build whose primary motivation was to make it ready for VR and ED in particular. I hope this is unfounded.
I really wouldn't stress over it. The whole rumor basically churned out of the forums, and honestly if you sit down and think about it the move would make no sense. They've invested a lot into VR already, the #1 youtube video by over a million extra views about ED is specifically focused on its VR component, and they haven't actually implied even the remotest hint that removing it is on their radar.

They'd lose more than they'd gain with that, basically.

Enjoy your new rig and VR! To say it's a lot more fun in VR is an understatement; it's practically a different game. It's easily one of the best, if not the best, sitting VR games available atm. You'll never be able to go back to 2d pancake Elite again =D

If was true I doubt that will happen.
"Valve announced in April 2019 that Steam has 90 million users, with Upload VR estimating that it will have reached 100 million in the past year. Taking both figures into account, this puts the number of VR users on Steam at between 1.7 million and two million."

I play using VR and I dont see myself playing ED without anymore.

Just discovered another little VR fix - the Remlok helmet used to render both its faint blue helmet lines in each eye instead of just at the left and right peripheries, so you would end up with a pair of (possibly headache inducing) lines by your nose. I reported this some time ago (a year or two? I think it was just before the forum migration) and today, courtesy of an Elite Viper shooting out my canopy, I discovered that it has been fixed.

If SpaceLegs are next year’s thing, I hope they keep the Remlok breathing audio for EVAs - very Dave Bowman 2001ish...

“Open the aft airlock doors please, COVAS”
“I’m sorry Commander...”

:)

I've finally been able to answer both of my pre-Beta questions (1. Have they been tested in VR? 2. Will there be a reduced cost during Beta?) thanks to the Beta Blowout, and I'm happy to see all the Carrier purchase and management screens have been curved for VR.

The hyperspace transition clouds are a mix of rotate-with-your-head outer sprites and a stable inner core, so at least it doesn't all go "jazz hands" if you slightly move your view.

The Carrier livery screen made it look like I was sat on the central deck between all the landing pads, which was quite cool seeing as a NPC Type 9 was just landing next to me. I was also happy to see that my crew, both male and female, were all called "Fred Bloggs" - I'm terrible with names irl so that should make it easier going into a possible Legs future :)

Not so happy about sitting in the SRV bay when trying to use the FSS - hope that gets fixed before release!

If they drop VR support I would stop playing the game.

Tonight for example; I have done a mining session in Borann. Everyone seems to moan about mining being a grind; in VR it isn't! It is like you are flying a spaceship around a gas-giant through an ice belt. It is particularly cool when you see you ships shadow cast on the asteroid you are mining.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if they didn't have full VR support for the new features. ED is one of the poster childs for VR gaming.

The only reason i can imagine they wouldn't would be if it was simply too much of a technical challenge, although i'd find that a little strange considering they have already achieved it for ships.

They'd be crazy to drop VR support. This game was made for it, & VR is the future. Steam just announced they now have more users with VR headsets than 4K monitors.

And if they did, I'd be heartbreakingly done with Elite Dangerous forever, as would my son.

Top Bottom