Frontier to drop VR support in 2020?

Do these sales include standalone headsets like Oculus Quest and Oculus Go? If you dont remove these from the pool you'll have an inflated picture of the install base ready to play high end PC games like Elite. Also psVR would likely need to be removed from the pool since it lacks the power to display Elite in VR.

Where does that leave us?
Good question, no idea. I perceive this thread to be ploughing the same water as similar threads previously.

BTW I wouldn't write off any platform over 'power' as they're always superceded by more powerful versions.

...Braben made a comment one time, and quite frankly he's not really relevant here, he simply owns the company that makes the game, hasn't got much else to do with it at this point.
Well I’d say he who pays the piper calls the tune, but looking at his statement I can’t see anything really that negative about VR that would suggest endex time.

The one proper negative I can see (“...And the other problem is, trying to use it in a family environment, it's really divisive. Because no one can see or hear what you're seeing.”) I disagree with completely - I have my VR set up in the living room due to the floor space and my daughter enjoys watching me play on the secondary output to the TV (especially Alien: Isolation; I’m sure it’s not because I’m a massive wuss in that game :D), I watch her be better at Fallout4 VR than me, and we both have a giggle taking turns with Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes.

Well I’d say he who pays the piper calls the tune, but looking at his statement I can’t see anything really that negative about VR that would suggest endex time.

The one proper negative I can see (“...And the other problem is, trying to use it in a family environment, it's really divisive. Because no one can see or hear what you're seeing.”) I disagree with completely - I have my VR set up in the living room due to the floor space and my daughter enjoys watching me play on the secondary output to the TV (especially Alien: Isolation; I’m sure it’s not because I’m a massive wuss in that game :D), I watch her be better at Fallout4 VR than me, and we both have a giggle taking turns with Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes.
You're playing Alien Isolation in VR?! Brave (y) I spent about the first 5 minutes wondering around Svestapol and then decided I didn't need nightmares. Did you fix the Letter box effect ( I assume you're in VorpX )?

I'm hearing disturbing rumours that the big update for the game coming later this year is to drop VR support as the new features will not be feasible in Virtual Reality.

Now I don't believe rumour, however, this one has a grain of possibility due to the possible inclusion of space legs, and that might be more difficult to add.

Has anyone else heard of this?
I have not heard of any rumours that VR will be removed or discontinued.

Mother :ROFLMAO: Of course, what else would it be called. I wonder if the mod can work with WMR. Will have to have a look.
As far as I’m aware it works with WMR headsets, but as advised above - better wear your bravery kecks. The only time I’ve noped out of a headset is while playing A:I :)

It’s a much better experience than what VorpX provides - most of the code is already in the game from a prerelease VR mode that the devs never went ahead with, the modder is “just” getting it all working. I believe they are currently getting VR working with the Halo PC releases, but they have signalled their intent to return to A:I at some stage.

As far as I’m aware it works with WMR headsets, but as advised above - better wear your bravery kecks. The only time I’ve noped out of a headset is while playing A:I :)

It’s a much better experience than what VorpX provides - most of the code is already in the game from a prerelease VR mode that the devs never went ahead with, the modder is “just” getting it all working. I believe they are currently getting VR working with the Halo PC releases, but they have signalled their intent to return to A:I at some stage.
Y'know both you and Wayland are really making me smile this morning and ...maybe go to the toilet a bit more

Y'know both you and Wayland are really making me smile this morning and ...maybe go to the toilet a bit more
:) Although I have a high-fibre diet and well into middle age, I happen to take L-Lysine as a supplement which has been proved to reduce incidents of stress-induced faecal excretions in rats.

My terror-trousers are therefore of the highly starched variety, guaranteed to disguise any wobbly legs / knocking knees just prior to The Alien de-gloving your face with its gob-tongue. As physical crouching isn’t implemented in the MotherVr mod, a staunch manly pose can be maintained at all times!

(My daughter says I have “squealed like a little girl” though I have no recollection of such events :D)

To me, the whole point of ED is that I get to fly spaceships in VR. (In fact I'd even go so far as to say ED was by far the biggest reason I got VR in the first place - and remains by far the best use for it.) It would be a very sad day for me if it were no longer supported.

I do spend quite a lot of time not in VR if I'm doing grinding or general 'space admin' because, as we know, it's a grindy game, so why not watch Netflix or chatting to friends while you're shooting at rocks, right? But I wouldn't bother grinding in the first place if I didn't ultimately get to play with my hard-earned toys 'for real'.

So, if it comes down to a choice, then you can keep your space legs and your atmospheric landings. If there's no more VR support, then there's no more Pielander.

To me, the whole point of ED is that I get to fly spaceships in VR. (In fact I'd even go so far as to say ED was by far the biggest reason I got VR in the first place - and remains by far the best use for it.) It would be a very sad day for me if it were no longer supported.

I do spend quite a lot of time not in VR if I'm doing grinding or general 'space admin' because, as we know, it's a grindy game, so why not watch Netflix or chatting to friends while you're shooting at rocks, right? But I wouldn't bother grinding in the first place if I didn't ultimately get to play with my hard-earned toys 'for real'.

So, if it comes down to a choice, then you can keep your space legs and your atmospheric landings. If there's no more VR support, then there's no more Pielander.
Aye, Elite was one of the main drivers for me getting VR as well, and although I’ve plenty of hours in many other VR games ED still gets the lion’s share of my game time.

I’ve recently figured out how to get a desktop window “pinned” inside the game so I can watch the Lore Tour livestream - that’s something I’d definitely do more of if I suddenly developed an urge to engage in The Grind.

I’ve recently figured out how to get a desktop window “pinned” inside the game so I can watch the Lore Tour livestream - that’s something I’d definitely do more of if I suddenly developed an urge to engage in The Grind.
Oh wow - that sounds like an ideal setup! Would you mind explaining briefly how it's done?

If Frontier does remove VR support and by some miracle I like New Era enough not to abandon the game, then I'm going to need a much bigger monitor.

My terror-trousers are therefore of the highly starched variety, guaranteed to disguise any wobbly legs / knocking knees just prior to The Alien de-gloving your face with its gob-tongue. As physical crouching isn’t implemented in the MotherVr mod, a staunch manly pose can be maintained at all times!

(My daughter says I have “squealed like a little girl” though I have no recollection of such events :D)
Uh-huh! You've played it :eek:

The 'conversion' to VR works incredibly well, and turns a good fright-scare pancake game into an excellent fright-scare!

@aXeL - I hope it works well for you too - it can save a fortune in Ex-Lax bills...

Oh wow - that sounds like an ideal setup! Would you mind explaining briefly how it's done?
Depends on what headset you’re using - I’ve got a Rift S and the standalone ED installation.

What I do is open up the Oculus bar menu while in ED, select the Desktop view, open up the internet window, “grab” the desktop so I can reposition and resize it (I tend to have it A4 size just above my knees), “pin” the window, then go back into ED.

Because I don’t have the Oculus Store version of Elite, I have to make sure the ED window is still the selected window on the desktop (I just make sure it’s moved over to one side so I can hardly see it) otherwise the controls don’t work in-game. I believe the Oculus version of ED is a lot better for “pinning” windows and running them fullscreen while still retaining spaceship control.

Uh-huh! You've played it :eek:

The 'conversion' to VR works incredibly well, and turns a good fright-scare pancake game into an excellent fright-scare!

@aXeL - I hope it works well for you too - it can save a fortune in Ex-Lax bills...
The Nostromo expansion pack level was probably the worst bit for me - going into the ducts with the flamer, brrrr... I blame my parents for letting me watch Alien on VHS when I was but a wee nipper!

Last edited:
I think you are missing my point (with your inaccurate comment, but that’s for another thread ;))
VR is a niche market that requires a lot of dev time, even on windows. History tells us that FD won’t put in the effort if it doesn’t make them cash, why should they it’s not a charity. Ergo where do you think that leaves VR
I think it leaves VR where it currently is: the hard work has been done, and as long as you stick to the the main cockpit view, you’ll have a great experience. YMMV on whether auxiliary views will be great, functional, annoying to use, or stomach turning.

Top Bottom